Metal Detectors

rimfire4969

Hiya,  I was of the same thoughts....and so, last year, bought a Garret Ace 150 off the Bay for £100...used, and with some extras, books dvd's etc....later I added a Garret Pin Pointer to the kit...the younger grandson LOVES playing with that in the dirt...they are about £100 new, but you can buy a "knockoff off the bay for about £15 which does the job too...me and the grandsons have had some great fun detecting.....on beaches and on farms that I have permission to shoot on.....Its the entry level Garret, and a wee belter of a detector...you can buy addons later for it...

So far we have found the usual old stuff, coins, metal stuff, ring pulls, etc etc...the gold so far has evaded us, but we have a great time detecting...:)

Go get one, if i can help more, message me...:)

Good luck.

We got my 6 year old this one for Christmas 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INTEY-Lightweight-Sensitivity-Adjustable-Waterproof/dp/B07ZX1HNL9/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=kids+metal+detector&qid=1607601679&s=diy&sprefix=kids+meta&sr=1-17

At that money it won't make you cry if they get bored. We've taken it out with my friends Tesoro, it is remarkably good, and the discrimination seems to be pretty accurate, although we have to dig everything we've found. 

This was one from last week

1610227490762.jpg

My advice is that you need a decent one to discriminate good  from junk. Lots of munitions near the coast in Cornwall. I had a mate who detected in Hayle. Made a living out of it . He used to say he found a supermarket bag full of junk to one decent find.

A lightweight spade with the blade cut to a point is a handy tool and if you can get a pointer it saves a lot of sorting.

Edited by DUNKS

Hello, you need one light and easy to use, switch on and go we call them, the garret ace 100 fits the bill for farm fields and dry sandy beaches, you can use on wet sand if you turn down sensitivity, if you do not want to dig iron just get a rusty nail and turn discrimination until sound nulls out, these have a bell sound and easy for children to hear, remember ring pulls and foil sound good but so do silver coins so dig everything after you discriminate iron, a small stainless border spade and cheapy  pin pointer , finds bag, use gloves, oh some beaches have rules for detecting like dutchy ownership so you need check out , good advice on other posts to help you so good luck and happy hunting, 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Get a used Garret ACE 150 or 250 - you should pick one up around £100 -£150, maybe less. This is an amazing machine for the money, very popular with beginers so plenty usually for sale as people either quit or move up to a more expensive machine. Buy a draper mini spade from toolstation or whoever and away you go - make sure you get headphones. Used properly (has several preset programs as well) this little machine will find most things down to around 6-7 inches.

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you need one light and easy to use, switch on and go we call them, the garret ace 100 fits the bill for farm fields and dry sandy beaches, you can use on wet sand if you turn down sensitivity, if you do not want to dig iron just get a rusty nail and turn discrimination until sound nulls out, these have a bell sound and easy for children to hear, remember ring pulls and foil sound good but so do silver coins so dig everything after you discriminate iron, a small stainless border spade and cheapy  pin pointer , finds bag, use gloves, oh some beaches have rules for detecting like dutchy ownership so you need check out , good advice on other posts to help you so good luck and happy hunting, 👍

Hello, around £100 should do the ace 100 or 150 used, it's just getting to know the detector jargon, ground balance/ Disc/ Sensitivity/ KHz eg but for starters a switch on and press buttons or twiddle knobs detector is ideal, after giving up most detecting from 30 plus years and selling some top range detectors I have kept my Golden Mask + 1 , and my friends farm have deep ploughed 4 fields so I may have a few hours this year health permitting, 

50 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, around £100 should do the ace 100 or 150 used, it's just getting to know the detector jargon, ground balance/ Disc/ Sensitivity/ KHz eg but for starters a switch on and press buttons or twiddle knobs detector is ideal, after giving up most detecting from 30 plus years and selling some top range detectors I have kept my Golden Mask + 1 , and my friends farm have deep ploughed 4 fields so I may have a few hours this year health permitting, 

All of  what  OPP says , there are a few Facebook groups , or you could join an old established  group I help out on , there is tons of info on it. Some pleasant members . Its called  " Rogers Relecs "  keep away from the army stuff . 

13 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

My kids and I have decided we quite fancy playing with a metal detector. I have land to use it on. We know absolutely nothing about them. Don’t fancy paying more than £100. Are we better going on an auction site and buying secondhand or new. 

Any recommendations gratefully received.  

Hi

any cscope will be suffice, built for British soils and have been making detectors for years.

I would recommend a 3mx about £150 second hand on eBay, and you would be able to sell it on at only a slight loss if they get bored digging tin foil, aluminium pull tabs and tin cans. To start with you will dig a lot of rubbish until you get familiar with the various signals. YouTube have some great videos for beach and inland detecting.

you will hear stories of £20 detectors finding a gold coin in just 4 inches of soil but this happens very rarely, believe me I have been detecting off and on for 30 years.

But even rubbish can be interesting!
Good luck

5 minutes ago, steve1066 said:

Hi

any cscope will be suffice, built for British soils and have been making detectors for years.

I would recommend a 3mx about £150 second hand on eBay, and you would be able to sell it on at only a slight loss if they get bored digging tin foil, aluminium pull tabs and tin cans. To start with you will dig a lot of rubbish until you get familiar with the various signals. YouTube have some great videos for beach and inland detecting.

you will hear stories of £20 detectors finding a gold coin in just 4 inches of soil but this happens very rarely, believe me I have been detecting off and on for 30 years.

But even rubbish can be interesting!
Good luck

Hello, yes C scope are good and the 3MX is ideal to, and as you said made in UK 

19 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

All of  what  OPP says , there are a few Facebook groups , or you could join an old established  group I help out on , there is tons of info on it. Some pleasant members . Its called  " Rogers Relecs "  keep away from the army stuff . 

Hello John, will you be doing any detecting this year, ? what detector are you using now?

3 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Still got my Deus , not detected in over a year , the old walking is rubbish at the moment  . How's you been doing .

Hello, about the same, old age creeping on 🙄👎,  I looked at a Deus when they first came out, good detector but I had great faith in my Minelab safari, it was just the weight that finally had me decide to sell and buy a lighter machine and as I was not doing much detecting I just bought an easy switch on and go GM +1 , but I wish the Nokta simplex had been about then !!! , Cheers

Mate of mine does quite a bit. He has one that you can use in about 6 inches of water. No idea who its made by. But it looks expensive. 

Lots of rules apparently connected with metal detecting so he says. Permission from the land owner, also he does a lot of research into the bit of land he is going to go on. If there was a battle there or an encampment he tends to get a bit exited. I remember him showing me a rusty old lump of scrap, which he swears was a cannonball. It wasn't even round anymore looked more like a chunk of meteorite. Find anything big like gold coins try to keep it to yourself as depending on their Provenance, everybody gets involved. 

A chap in the local went to a caravan park round Norfolk, he always takes his metal detector with him for a play on the beach. 

One day he was wafting (not sure the correct terminology) around on the way to the beach and he got a ping, started to dig it up and found what he thought was a tatty old piece of rusty steel tubing. After cleaning off the soil noticed some fins on the end, police were called then the MOD and a controlled explosion carried out on what he was told was a live mortar. Apparently it made the local news. 

I did have the clip of the explosion on an old phone if i can find it i will post it up. 

15 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

My kids and I have decided we quite fancy playing with a metal detector. I have land to use it on. We know absolutely nothing about them. Don’t fancy paying more than £100. Are we better going on an auction site and buying secondhand or new. 

Any recommendations gratefully received.  

Hello, hope you find a suitable detector and enjoy with the  children, I know how excited they are at finding things as I did a children's day at a local dig a few years back, a chap called Norfolk Wolf is worth watching on U tube, 

12 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, hope you find a suitable detector and enjoy with the  children, I know how excited they are at finding things as I did a children's day at a local dig a few years back, a chap called Norfolk Wolf is worth watching on U tube, 

A lovely man , inspired  many of us years ago  a great lost to the detecting world ,

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, having mentioned as other PW members different detectors suitable for children I did a search online and for £100 came up with this little beauty a Nokta Macro, Mini Hoarder, ok the screen icons look funny but it has all the basic internal electronics and can do under water/ beach and inland fields, with that KHz of 12 I think it should be capable of 6/9 inch depth or more, certainly worth a consider against a garret and C scope, and Nokta have good reviews in their other more expensive detectors, 

I purchased one way back in the 60s when it became all the rage.  Never realy found anyhting important but it was still good fun. As a local police  offier you can bet I had permissions over all sorts of ancient ground but mostly metal buttons and the odd bob or two, but it is great fun and gets you ou in the countryside.  I stil have my old machine but do not know if it still works. Have not touched it for maybe 40 odd years.  Anyone local to me wants it then just call.