Airgun scope parallax

30-6

I have an old Tasco Golden Antler TV view scope fixed 4x40 which I believe is set to 100 yds parallax. Would this be suitable for use on a sub 12 ft/ lb .22 PCP ? 

I want to set up a dedicated ratting shooting rig with a scope mounted lamp, so probably 12 yds ish zero. It's just sitting there doing nothing, and the thick posts of the reticle are easy to see using a low powered red lamp. Or would parallax be an issue ?

You will just have to try it and see if it will be in focus at the range you want to use it. At 4 power the range should be fairly generous.  Cut a few sticks and put them at 2yrd spaces from 5yrds upwards, then with scope nice and steady check which sticks are in focus.  I have two or three old 4 power scopes and they all differ a bit but not critical, however I find with a lamp it does need to be clear.   I would make a guess that it should work fine.    I know my Airmax variable minimum setting of 4 power will give good results down to about 5yrds.

I used a red dot on an AA S200 for many years of ratting. Zeroed at 10/25 yards worked well for me in .22. Much faster acquire and shoot than with a scope as you can keep both eyes open. As my eyesight deteriorated with age I eventually had to switch to a scope so if you still have good eyesight would be worth considering. If you do go red dot be mindful that some of the cheap ones do not have an adjustment on the brightness low enough for use in the dark.

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have you checked it is 100 yards ? seem a long distance for the 4x40, ?

I think most low end (price not quality) are set at 100yrds but being low mangnification I do not think it will be noticeable, should work fine. At the end of the day not rocket science to try it and see.