Sunday and woodcock

I am right in reading this that woodcock and snipe are to shoot on a Sunday please ?

England and Wales

No game may be killed or taken in any county on Sunday or Christmas Day. Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare.

Looks to be the case by the above but just double checking

On 10/01/2021 at 14:54, JDog said:

Woodcock are waders and may be shot on a Sunday but who would do such a thing?

Someone who works Monday - Saturday, and only has Sunday's off? 

My mate works that shift pattern, 6 days a week. 

He is a keen shooter, and a good shot. He can't join any shooting clubs or syndicates as he can't shoot on his one day off, so usually just joins me for some clays.

Not sure the woodcock minds which day of the week it is shot on. 

A very out dated law IMO. 

When I was younger and had been working all the week and often on a Saturday as well, I would have been over the moon if we were allowed Sunday wildfowl shooting but we were never allowed to in our county and yet the ones either side of us ( Suffolk and Lincs ) were given the green light .

I have spent many Sundays in the past Pigeon shooting and I wouldn't condemn anyone to shoot whatever they were allowed to shoot on the Sabeth , not that I would now as I have the other six days to go if I want , as you rightly say , very outdated law , it should be the same for everyone up and down the country , either you can or you can't , not some can and the others can't .

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Someone who works Monday - Saturday, and only has Sunday's off? 

My mate works that shift pattern, 6 days a week. 

He is a keen shooter, and a good shot. He can't join any shooting clubs or syndicates as he can't shoot on his one day off, so usually just joins me for some clays.

Not sure the woodcock minds which day of the week it is shot on. 

A very out dated law IMO. 

Your mate DEFINITELY needs to change his job!

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Your mate DEFINITELY needs to change his job!

Going shooting on a Saturday don't pay the bills sadly! 

I am loving my new job, although it's working nights and weekends, I get loads of time off during daylight and managed to do a lot of shooting and dog work this season :) 

The retired lads have it even easier :P 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Going shooting on a Saturday don't pay the bills sadly! 

I am loving my new job, although it's working nights and weekends, I get loads of time off during daylight and managed to do a lot of shooting and dog work this season  

The retired lads have it even easier  

Life is not a rehearsal. We are only going round once. I packed up working full time at 53 mostly so I could go picking up or loading between 3 to 6 days / week, quite apart from my own shooting / stalking. Yes, I would have been richer had I continued to work but I had 12 years with , to me, a wonderful lifestyle.

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

Life is not a rehearsal. We are only going round once. I packed up working full time at 53 mostly so I could go picking up or loading between 3 to 6 days / week, quite apart from my own shooting / stalking. Yes, I would have been richer had I continued to work but I had 12 years with , to me, a wonderful lifestyle.

I'm working my *** off now so I can do the same :) 

A very good mate was found dead in his flat just before Christmas. I'd spoken to him 2 days before about being his referee for his impending coterminous renewal.

He was 49 (same age as me) and had spent the last 15 years working in power stations around the country on refits, he worked every shift he could, bought a caravan to save on digs where he travelled. He lead a very solitary and basic lifestyle. His goal was to have enough money to retire before he was 50.

He was set to start his last contract at the end of this month and be finished by April. His 50th Birthday was due to be July.

He has literally worked himself to death as it was a silent heart attack that killed him. 

His ambition to travel the world shooting.

He has no wife or children. Only a brother who has hardly lifted a finger in his life.

We suspect he is about to become a very very rich man as I knew what he had set for his retirement goal!

39 minutes ago, London Best said:

Good for you. Being self employed I take time off to go shooting whenever I want. I could make a lot more money than I do if I chose to work more hours than I do, but 
I take all of December off each year so I can go shooting and beating, and only went back to work last Monday, despite the shooting season being knackered. 
We all have to work, but we all need to live too. 

I was never one for working much overtime, but in 1987 I worked solid all Summer to help with a problem. With the problem sorted, funnily enough around September time,  I told the boss never to mention overtime to me again as he could not afford me. I did none for the next fifteen years.

I worked my backside off since I was about 15, set up my own business at 20 then I got to now and reevaluated my life. I still work hard now but the pandemic made me realise that in my line of work it doesn't matter how good you are just how cheap you are and people will always go for cheap over quality. I work mornings for a bloke that really appreciates my help, the other day I rode an extra one, didn't finish any later and he couldn't wait to give me extra money! I work 2 afternoons a week on a farm milking and doing gfw and again they appreciate the help and if they could have afford me theyd have me more. And I've got my little flock of slowly expanding sheep that I think may have turned a small profit last year! Throw into the mix my little one who spends most afternoons helping me do jobs and all day Thursday whilst the wife is working then its not a bad life. Ill never be rich and I don't get huge amounts of time to go shooting but most of the time life is pretty good!

OK I've changed my mind 😂 I've fed the cade lambs, cleaned the house, done a couple loads of washing, the teenager has returned from her dads louder and more attention seeking than normal, the toddler has fallen out with her, stolen her pencil case and is now sat on her potty doing a poo Andre the Giant would have been surprise to have passed! Its going to be a long old day and its not 1030 yet!

I knew some people who would start off with the ambition to work hard at a young age and then retire well before retiring age , this seem fine to begin with , but by working long hours and earning good money it soon become a way of life and there life revolve around work , most of there friends are the people they see the most which are there work mates , as the years roll by they might end up with a decent house , a new car and maybe have a nice holiday , they then reach the age where the ambition was taking early retirement , the problem now is they need to earn good money to pay for the large mortgage and a decent holiday when the time allow , then at long last they reach the states retirement age and they cut down doing full time and only do four days a week giving him more time to spend in the garden.

This is not the same for everyone , I worked hard as a bricklayer and in the early days the wages were poor , if I needed anything extra I had to fiddle about after tea and at weekends , when I started to get a few bob in my pocket I started to pay lumps off the mortgage and my ambition was to pay it all off in ten years which I did to the day 10 years after taking it on , in all that time the only holidays I had were working ones and it wasn't till I got reported to the tax man by a small builder that I had my first holiday in 15 years , from the day I left school till I had that holiday I had never been out of work and when I had to visit the tax man I was working 50 hrs a week for the firm I then worked for , I didn't like the idea of paying extra tax while working in my free time for people who had also paid tax and then paying more tax on the matarials I was using , anyhow after agreeing on paying £250 I stopped working for other people in my free time .

I was then in my mid thirties and was earning decent money for a firm building a crane terminal in Lowertoft , this was alright but it consisted of six and a half day week , the contract had nearly finished when I looked in the paper one day at the job section and I saw the estate where I went beating on wanted a jobbing bricklayer , this job I applied for and the wages were about half of what I was getting at the time , but the hours were a lot less and it was more my type of work .

Time I went to the different interviews the contract I was on had all but come to the end when I got the job and the starting date , I started in the Spring and the job suited me down to the ground , after 10 years the building manager left and they asked me if I wanted to take the job on , which I did , this involved  looking after over 60 houses , five farm houses and out buildings , three churches , village shop and the hall and gardens , as I got into my 50s I began to think of retiring, this was brought on by a weak back and I was beginning to feel it after a lot of bending , I then decided I would call it a day on my 60th birthday , I had a meeting with my boss and told him the situation and he said if I changed my mind there would always be a job somewhere on the estate if I wanted it .

The day finally arrived and I packed up on my 60th birthday which was a Friday and I was back there the following day driving the guns about on a game shoot , this was over 13 years ago and have I any regrets ? , not one bit and if I had my time again I would think about packing it in five years earlier than I did , one thing is for certain , you cannot turn the clock back .

Sadly not everyone can get a nice job on an estate that provides a nice life style. 

So many people out there just working jobs they hate because they enjoy the £££, or the opportunities the £££ presents. 

My best mates sister dislikes her job, but making £150-200k a year in London working on big contracts gives her opportunities she simply won’t get anywhere else.