Magpies

the hitman

Hi Folks 

On my walk with the dog today at around 4.30pm which takes me along a row of single depth cherry and silver birch trees which leads to about 20 furs where I regularly watch 50+ pigeons going to roost, I counted 17 magpies cackling in a very alarmed way. We do have way too many of these nest thieves in my area- however I have never seen so many in such a condensed area. A few were clearly trying to distract Rio my yellow cocker, but other than that I can’t explain why they had congregated in such a number today.

If only I could have shoot them- unfortunately for me they have chosen a semi residential area to meet up.

Any ideas why they have grouped up ?

Hitman

18 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

There was probably either a fox, a cat, an owl or a bird of prey there somewhere.

Yes quite probably- I would have said it was my fox coloured cocker but the magpies were there when I arrived.

Its worrying how many are about as the songbirds will be nesting before we know it.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Semi residential so being fed regualrly on bird tables etc.  Yes, may have mistaken your dog for a fox/predator.  Very tight restrictions now on shooting them as well.

So can you control magpies jays etc at all now then? I don't seem to keep up with it all , And I agree with earlier comments about getting together .Interesting the wildlife out there we live and learn all the time if your interested that is ,so stay safe tagether.🐺🐺🐺

The most I've seen together was an approximate 36 😲 The noise they were making was incredible, two had a proper scrap. Then the pair of resident crows dropped in to see what all the fuss was about 😅 All over in about 20 minutes.

Unfortunately it was in some trees behind a property I was working on 🙄

After the pit closed in the 90s the slag heap was grassed over and loads of trees planted, I can remember the slopes on one side being planted in the 70s. It is now a public park and there is one area mainly tall hawthorn that magpies and pigeons roost in through the winter, well sheltered from the wind. At times I have seen 50 plus magpies just before dusk.

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

To protect farm animals and red listed birds so I am told.  

My understanding too.
GL40 only for the protection of endangered bird species - listed by DEFRA. GL42 only for direct attack on livestock.

So, if I saw a magpie raiding a blackbird nest I could not shoot the magpie because blackbirds are not on the endangered list!!! Somethings wrong somewhere in heads of Civil Servants

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

My understanding too.
GL40 only for the protection of endangered bird species - listed by DEFRA. GL42 only for direct attack on livestock.

So, if I saw a magpie raiding a blackbird nest I could not shoot the magpie because blackbirds are not on the endangered list!!! Somethings wrong somewhere in heads of Civil Servants

Mr Packham thinks it just nature and not a problem.

Carrion Crows, Magpies and Jays are scavengers and predators. They will eat the eggs and chicks of many species, and have been doing so for thousands of years. That doesn’t make them a conservation problem any more than Blue Tits eating caterpillars are a conservation problem. Species eat each other – it’s ecology. 

https://wildjustice.org.uk/general/what-will-defra-do/

pity nothing eats him in the food chain.

Edited by rbrowning2

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

My understanding too.

If you look at the GL for magpie it makes it almost impossible for most people to shoot them.

They are flying into the sheep shed ,but land directly on the ewes heads , and start pecking away . 

They are not after the ewes eyes, but do irritate/distress them immensely  . I can only  get a shot at them

if they land on the pen rails above the sheep , but they rarely do. they are clever little beggars , are 'Packams Parrots'.

On 10/01/2021 at 20:23, Walker570 said:

Semi residential so being fed regualrly on bird tables etc.  Yes, may have mistaken your dog for a fox/predator.  Very tight restrictions now on shooting them as well.

Beat me to it, Everyone needs to fully understand the regulations now for all quarry.

On 10/01/2021 at 19:38, the hitman said:

Hi Folks 

On my walk with the dog today at around 4.30pm which takes me along a row of single depth cherry and silver birch trees which leads to about 20 furs where I regularly watch 50+ pigeons going to roost, I counted 17 magpies cackling in a very alarmed way. We do have way too many of these nest thieves in my area- however I have never seen so many in such a condensed area. A few were clearly trying to distract Rio my yellow cocker, but other than that I can’t explain why they had congregated in such a number today.

If only I could have shoot them- unfortunately for me they have chosen a semi residential area to meet up.

Any ideas why they have grouped up ?

Hitman

Magies gather in large numbers at this time of year.

20210112_210524.jpg.816dea024557cd0c5b45a2f91adafd55.jpg

If you have red or amber listed birds then you can control magpies,  but I believe you need to keep records.

Make sure you know what your doing and why if you are challenged.

How magpies aren't included in the same categories as crows I don't know,  and the category of issue with nesting birds, to me it smacks of interfering with game shooting. 

This is the Red List. If you have anything on the list breeding near you then it is justifiable that they can be killed to conserve a bird on the Red List 

D4DB4C6A-08D7-4B6F-90E6-0301BAE1EA47.png

4 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

This is the Red List. If you have anything on the list breeding near you then it is justifiable that they can be killed to conserve a bird on the Red List 

Song Thrush

House Sparrow

Tree Sparrow

Starling

Wood Warbler

I  have all of those regularly nesting nearby.

Edited by Fisheruk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2021 at 21:57, Fisheruk said:

Song Thrush

House Sparrow

Tree Sparrow

Starling

Wood Warbler

I  have all of those regularly nesting nearby.

Never knew fieldfare were red list! I’m well covered with residential lapwing, skylark, fieldfare, starling, both sparrows and a few more 👌🏼But handy to have the applicable species clear in your minds in case it ever got questioned 👍🏼