Not soldering

harrycatcat1

I have been tasked to try and repair the item below by attaching the three wires black, red and white. I am not really sure what the item is but my granddaughter has been rough with it, in her defence it only looks to have been protected by silicone coming through the black metal bit.

I don't have a soldering iron or solder, is there any way that I can attach these wires successfully please?

20210111_095641.jpg

6 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I have been tasked to try and repair the item below by attaching the three wires black, red and white. I am not really sure what the item is but my granddaughter has been rough with it, in her defence it only looks to have been protected by silicone coming through the black metal bit.

I don't have a soldering iron or solder, is there any way that I can attach these wires successfully please?

20210111_095641.jpg

You would need a soldering iron to solder the wires onto the contacts. You can pick one up quite cheap via Ebay etc.

Yes, go to the pound shop or similar, ask for a soldering iron and a small roll of pre fluxed solder, try to get a fine tip iron as a standard tip may be too large for such fine work, clean the area well, get the iron up to temperature, apply a very small amount of solder to the iron and press down on the wire and terminal, it will melt very quickly so dont overdo it, once the wire end and terminal are bonded into the blob of solder, withdraw the iron trying to hold the wire in place until the solder sets, very easy once you have done a few joints, if you are unsure ,try practicing on some bits of wire before you attack the item repair,

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

There's oodles of how to solder tutorials on youtube. Maybe go over the finished job with a glue gun over a cable tie.

I will have a look on YouTube thanks, I hope to borrow a soldering iron.

The thing is if I was 25 I would buy one because there's a good chance I would use it again. But I have not needed one until now and not likely to need one again so may as well borrow one 🤣

4 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I will have a look on YouTube thanks, I hope to borrow a soldering iron.

The thing is if I was 25 I would buy one because there's a good chance I would use it again. But I have not needed one until now and not likely to need one again so may as well borrow one 🤣

Yes, but you may not be able to file the point down for fine wire.

I bought a couple of cheapies a few years ago, one I modified for fine, the other does heavier

Heat a screw driver end and use the tip as a soldering iron to melt the existing solder and wire into it.

I've done many repairs like this in a bind.

My son as a child when we had a static would often bring me all manner of things he'd broken to fix.  The words daddy fix it with big teary eyes is hard to resist. 

Hope your sort it easily 👍

3 hours ago, fatchap said:

Is it some sort of LED oojamaflip?

It is 👍👍

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Heat a screw driver end and use the tip as a soldering iron to melt the existing solder and wire into it.

I've done many repairs like this in a bind.

My son as a child when we had a static would often bring me all manner of things he'd broken to fix.  The words daddy fix it with big teary eyes is hard to resist. 

Hope your sort it easily 👍

Thanks, I am hoping to borrow an iron, some flux and solder and have a go myself 🤫🤫

52 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I reckon it's a ring light for taking fancy selfies. I also reckon it's Harry's really 🤣😉

It is you are right, I believe it's that light for taking Tik Tok videos, it has a phone holder on too. 

ps I got your pm earlier, I will ask her if you can borrow it once it's repaired 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I bought an el-cheapo battery operated soldering iron from Aldi/Lidl as some areas I work in there is no supply or gas soldering/flame irons are banned. Works an absolute treat BUT you cannot file down the tip,as the element runs quite close to the surface, as I discovered the hard way. Took it back as faulty and got it replaced. It only cost about £7 

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Considering the soldering iron is as thick as a cricket bat,  the solder as thick as a pencil, me being as thick as a brick I am extremely pleased that I got it working.

Hurrah. New skill learnt. Now solder everything to everything else to show how impressive you are at fixing everything - even if it wasn't broke to begin with