Has anyone been challenged yet by the law for going out shooting

lakeside1000

3 minutes ago, Longbower said:

Even in 'normal' times, when parked out in the countryside , I leave a copy of my permission , on view in the car.  My Choice, I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

Fair enough, I always used to have RSPB stickers on my car, better than giving the Anti's the reason to damage your car!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fair enough, I always used to have RSPB stickers on my car, better than giving the Anti's the reason to damage your car!

Never had a problem with 'Anti's.  But a member at the Golf Club , did call the police. So did a neighbor at the cricket club. Where an officer and a PCSO, attended , despite having rang 101, informing them I was there and what I was doing.

So it works for me. I obviously would not leave such information on show in Tesco's car park.

7 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I respectfully disagree with most of that.

Despite the fact the explanation of the legislation on the gov.uk website is written in clear language, you do have to make a point of checking it regularly, as it changes far too often.

So many people seem to struggle with this, that I don't believe people know "what's what".   Obviously, if you hold an SGC or FAC, your reading comprehension should be of an acceptable standard...

English law is based on the concept that you are allowed to do whatever you like unless it is expressly forbidden, and clearly defined in law.  We do not, or at the very least should not have, 'catch all clauses' in legislation.

In other words, it is not 'a loophole', it is lawful unless expressly forbidden. 

And this must be written in the legislation, not just vague statements on a government website using weasel words such as 'you should' or 'avoid'.  That is not law.

And legitimate pest control is very much not a loophole.

Despite what you may think of them, BASC's expensive lawyers have studied the legislation, and given their interpretation of what is and isn't allowable.  Note, of course, that as it is not clearly defined, this is merely their interpretation, subject to being tested in a court of law.  But I would rather trust their interpretation of it than a jumped up member of the public's or a stressed response officer.  

Worst case scenario, and you're up before the beak, following BASC's formal advice might not be a defence in and of itself, but it will be at least a basis on which to defend your case, and demonstrate your good conduct.

THANKS ..... My reply was for how some people were acting in general and not purely on the shooting do's and dont's 

Over the weekend our local police issued 31 fines and nearly 100 warnings for breaching the Corvid rules , these ranged from driving 120 miles from North Hampton ( which I have already mentioned on another thread ) and two others who drove a long distance to drive to the coast , one of the others drove from Essex , they would have to drive over the Essex border into Suffolk and then over the Suffolk border into Norfolk , they should , or would have known this is not the thing to do after already had two previous lockdowns with similar restrictions .

Another was for six people playing in the park and for a driver who had four in his car , we also had another one who had a camper van who wanted to camp on a closed camper site .

As I said , we are now in the third lockdown and I agree it is a job keeping up with the ever changing rules , but when the prime minister ask you to keep local and not to make any unnecessary journeys ,then to drive 120 miles to look at the Seals is well past keeping it local .

My F.A.O told my to be as discreet as possible leaving my house to my car, with my shotgun. He advised me to break it down and put it in a black bin bag, leaving the house, so no one could see a gun slip! Could quite possibly be the postcode I live in. But I wouldn't want to walk a couple of miles with my gun slip on view, that anybody could see. Obviously different if you live out in the sticks

Wow, thanks everyone for your very wide range of advice and opinions, I guess it will be worth printing off the BASC views and carrying as much proof as I can to show just cause, Difficult times but if I dont get out of the house soon I will go stark staring mad, just been cleaning and sorting out my gear, so first decent day I will be off , lets hope its worth it and I can find a few birds 

12 hours ago, ferretfan123 said:

My F.A.O told my to be as discreet as possible leaving my house to my car, with my shotgun. He advised me to break it down and put it in a black bin bag, leaving the house, so no one could see a gun slip! Could quite possibly be the postcode I live in. But I wouldn't want to walk a couple of miles with my gun slip on view, that anybody could see. Obviously different if you live out in the sticks

Yea this is the thing. Basc say you can walk around shooting but the days of strolling up the main road with a shotgun are long gone in a slip or not. So when I go duck shooting at week end I will break it down into a shopping bag with couple decoys. I need my waders though so just have to go with that one lol. I did email the firearms to clarify it was ok and they ignored me which I notice they do with questions like that being reluctant to encourage anything. Though in the past they have said follow basc guidance so that is what I will be doing 

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

Yea this is the thing. Basc say you can walk around shooting but the days of strolling up the main road with a shotgun are long gone in a slip or not. So when I go duck shooting at week end I will break it down into a shopping bag with couple decoys. I need my waders though so just have to go with that one lol. I did email the firearms to clarify it was ok and they ignored me which I notice they do with questions like that being reluctant to encourage anything. Though in the past they have said follow basc guidance so that is what I will be doing 

I don't think those days are exactly gone. I quite often see a chap on his bicycle, slipped gun over his shoulder and donned in camouflage, coming back from culling a few pigeons. Noone seems to bat an eyelid.

32 minutes ago, motty said:

I don't think those days are exactly gone. I quite often see a chap on his bicycle, slipped gun over his shoulder and donned in camouflage, coming back from culling a few pigeons. Noone seems to bat an eyelid.

This. I think much depends on where you live, but walking through the village or even my home town, it isn’t that rare to see someone with a slipped gun over their shoulder. 
It isn’t that long ago my nephew would bike to work after school with his slipped gun on his back, complete with Beretta emblazoned on it. 

28 minutes ago, old man said:

That might allegedly be true if you are Borris's uncle or an MP? 😀

The 'recreational' bit was BASCs words, like I say , I dont believe there is such a thing, but if theres deer that need to be culled , there is 'reason' to go out of your area to do so...according to the guidelines.

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The 'recreational' bit was BASCs words, like I say , I dont believe there is such a thing, but if theres deer that need to be culled , there is 'reason' to go out of your area to do so...according to the guidelines.

Maybe all in the interpretation of local and the existence of some form of written contract requiring a cull target?

20 minutes ago, old man said:

Maybe all in the interpretation of local and the existence of some form of written contract requiring a cull target?

Definitely a good  idea, but 'reason' could include observation too, amongst many other 'jobs' you could be doing for the farmer/landowner.

Backup from the land owner is essential , just in case over zealous covid police decide to issue fines anyway.
I carry a letter that basically makes me a key worker on the farm, they could argue the toss , but at the end of the day, can they prove that I am not employed (albeit voluntarily) as pest controller on the farm ?

I think not.

48 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Definitely a good  idea, but 'reason' could include observation too, amongst many other 'jobs' you could be doing for the farmer/landowner.

Backup from the land owner is essential , just in case over zealous covid police decide to issue fines anyway.
I carry a letter that basically makes me a key worker on the farm, they could argue the toss , but at the end of the day, can they prove that I am not employed (albeit voluntarily) as pest controller on the farm ?

I think not.

I have got exactly the same , a letter stating me as a key worker with two telephone numbers from the estate to back this letter up , I don't think if you were stopped by the law and you told them your mate said it was alright if I went and shot the vermin would hold any clout in this currant situation we are now in , at the minimum explain the situation with the land owner so he know if you got stopped he would back you up , or better still get it all down in writing .

4 hours ago, motty said:

That is good to hear. But I walked through the village about 3 years ago with a lurcher and a ferret box and barely made it the other side because some one reported me. The police lady was great though. I guess a lurcher and a spade over the shoulder is far worse than a gun 😞

On 12/01/2021 at 12:34, Walker570 said:

We have police wandering around a local village here with absolutely nothing to do. They have been sent out to control the non compliance hordes. They are bored stiff.

What a waste of man power.

Give em a radar gun then   !    😂

5 hours ago, motty said:

I haven't seen anyone on a pushbike carrying a gun for a number of years now and doubt if I will see anyone else going back to the bike days .

most of the chaps , myself included carried the sleeved gun on the bikes cross bar held on with a couple of straps , then when I stared work I bought a Honda 50 moped , this was fine until I bought my first Lab and then took driving lessons , the lessons were £1.50 each and I passed first time after about 10 lessons although I had to have two on the morning of the test , the first one was going around the course with the instructor and the going around the same course again with the examiner , a bit of a doddle .

I was looking again at a silent movie clip of Kenzie walking through Sutton Bridge carrying his gun under his arm and holding two Pinks in his other hand , this was down the street outside his house , then later in the day he jumped on his Scooter and went down to the Lighthouse for what looked like the evening flight , this was taken in the 1960s

32 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I haven't seen anyone on a pushbike carrying a gun for a number of years now and doubt if I will see anyone else going back to the bike days .

most of the chaps , myself included carried the sleeved gun on the bikes cross bar held on with a couple of straps , then when I stared work I bought a Honda 50 moped , this was fine until I bought my first Lab and then took driving lessons , the lessons were £1.50 each and I passed first time after about 10 lessons although I had to have two on the morning of the test , the first one was going around the course with the instructor and the going around the same course again with the examiner , a bit of a doddle .

I was looking again at a silent movie clip of Kenzie walking through Sutton Bridge carrying his gun under his arm and holding two Pinks in his other hand , this was down the street outside his house , then later in the day he jumped on his Scooter and went down to the Lighthouse for what looked like the evening flight , this was taken in the 1960s

I’m very fortunate to live where I live. I was working in a local village during summer, when a mate ( we’re in the same syndicate ) who lives there came by for a chat and to show me his new toy, a high end Beretta. He just walked out his house with it, past another house, to where I was parked. While I was having a look, another vehicle pulled over and out of it climbed another shooter whom I hadn’t seen for a while.....a retired copper. He came over for a gander too, then returned to his vehicle and took out a lovely little hammer gun to show us. All by the side of the road in the village. 

38 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I was lucky I pased my motor cyle test in the force on a watercooled Velocette then purchased myself a Lambretta and often slung my shotgunin sleave over my shoulders and motored across to our farm for a day off. Never had a second look.

That was early '60s.

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m very fortunate to live where I live. I was working in a local village during summer, when a mate ( we’re in the same syndicate ) who lives there came by for a chat and to show me his new toy, a high end Beretta. He just walked out his house with it, past another house, to where I was parked. While I was having a look, another vehicle pulled over and out of it climbed another shooter whom I hadn’t seen for a while.....a retired copper. He came over for a gander too, then returned to his vehicle and took out a lovely little hammer gun to show us. All by the side of the road in the village. 

How nice was that? And why not? No laws against it.

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Nice that can still go on in a rural area without a armed response team being called out , we are in the sticks but a infants school is just down the road in the village , and to be honest the less seen the better where guns are concerned around these parts

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I was lucky I pased my motor cyle test in the force on a watercooled Velocette then purchased myself a Lambretta and often slung my shotgunin sleave over my shoulders and motored across to our farm for a day off. Never had a second look.

That was early '60s.

Some nice memories , happy days and nice to look back on .