A such a great shame.

JDog

Sorry about the title, fat fingers, small keypad and no glasses.

This morning I found this Barn owl dead in some dilapidated farm buildings.

It had an injury to one of it’s legs which I didn’t consider to be a pellet and it was very thin. I had to marvel at it’s beauty.

23B49355-026A-42C5-96C8-4FC87AC8C671.jpeg

14D334B8-0892-411D-A8C1-2254083E1BF8.jpeg

Edited by JDog

As above many starve in winter. I set mouse traps around my garden buildings and log store, had a dozen from the logstore this winter. All get out on a tall tree stump for the local owls. Usually gone by morning, wife hears them in the tree and mouse is gone.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2017/12/owl-calls/

see if you can identify Owl from its calls.

Barn Owl is my favourite uk bird but saw a  Tawny in the daytime (early morning) a couple of times and heard them at night. Used to watch a pair of Barn Owls quartering  the field behind my house, fantastic to watch.

Edited by Good shot?

58 minutes ago, Scully said:

Very sad, they are my favourite bird. 
There are a couple of owls which flit about and call to each other when I let the dogs out in the back field last thing at night. I haven’t seen either as yet but am keeping my fingers crossed they're Barn Owls. 

I'm not a hundred % but I think they'll be Tawny owls. 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

As above many starve in winter. I set mouse traps around my garden buildings and log store, had a dozen from the logstore this winter. All get out on a tall tree stump for the local owls. Usually gone by morning, wife hears them in the tree and mouse is gone.

Someone posted on Agf about putting out rats for owls, I'd expect the local cats to take any mice I left out, but I'll start putting them out instead of the bin, I never thought owls would take dead mice or rats, never thought of them as carrion eaters just hunters.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Very sad, they are my favourite bird. 
There are a couple of owls which flit about and call to each other when I let the dogs out in the back field last thing at night. I haven’t seen either as yet but am keeping my fingers crossed they're Barn Owls. 

If it’s the classic owl call it will be the tawney ...