Shooting sticks

zipdog

I am looking for a set of shooting sticks for when out with the rifle. Having done a quick search there seems to be a huge variation in price. 

Obviously I don’t want to spend more than I am forced. But don’t want something which is unfit for purpose either.  

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Many thanks 

on a budget just make yourself a set - £20 ish - not my design but one I followed and used by a lot of stalkers

4 x green plastic covered steel bean poles from b n q

4 x 5mm x 50mm bolts and nylock nuts

16 washers

Insulating tape

Cordage

The poles have plastic plugs, cut round with a craft knife where you see the join and twist off with pliars, the plastic is not thick so just a score will do. Cut the poles down so they are at the height of your nose then replace the plugs and secure with about 100mm of insulating tape.

Bind the 4 poles together as a cube with temporary insulating tape approx 200mm from each end and clamp on a flat surface, overhanging, so you can drill.

Drill 2 5mm holes 57mm from the ends, each hole going straight down through 2 poles.

Turn the poles through 90 degrees away from you and drill 2 holes at the other end 80mm from the ends, again each hole going through 2 poles.

Now secure each pair at each end using bolt - washer - pole - washer - washer - pole - washer - nut, easiest if you remove the nearest temporary insulating tape binding first.

Last step is cordage to restrict how far your poles open to exactly match your gun, you can use a temporary bit of bailer twine first and test by putting over the top v's that you have created. I have different sets of sticks for my centrefire and my cz's as the centrefire needs longer cordage than the cz's. Once you know the right length you can drill 2 small holes and secure.

I am told that these eventually rust where you have drilled, mine are 5 years old and still fine. There is enough meat in the poles to go up to a 6mm bolt if needed.

On a still day you can do 300 with a fair degree of accuracy (practice only for me at this range in case of a very long follow up shot needed), if you are buffeted by a wind then as with any sticks your effective range decreases to as little as do not take the shot. I did manage a 4 inch group at 100 in a gusty 40mph wind on a range day, in normal conditions a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 is easily  repeatable.

In the image below the rifle is, of course, unloaded and the picture was for a friend to see the set up I use, it does show how stable these sticks are.

PM if anything not clear and if you can pick up from near Swaffham I will happily make you a set if you buy the poles, they only take a few minutes.

quad sticks.jpg

7 hours ago, 243deer said:

on a budget just make yourself a set - £20 ish - not my design but one I followed and used by a lot of stalkers

4 x green plastic covered steel bean poles from b n q

4 x 5mm x 50mm bolts and nylock nuts

16 washers

Insulating tape

Cordage

The poles have plastic plugs, cut round with a craft knife where you see the join and twist off with pliars, the plastic is not thick so just a score will do. Cut the poles down so they are at the height of your nose then replace the plugs and secure with about 100mm of insulating tape.

Bind the 4 poles together as a cube with temporary insulating tape approx 200mm from each end and clamp on a flat surface, overhanging, so you can drill.

Drill 2 5mm holes 57mm from the ends, each hole going straight down through 2 poles.

Turn the poles through 90 degrees away from you and drill 2 holes at the other end 80mm from the ends, again each hole going through 2 poles.

Now secure each pair at each end using bolt - washer - pole - washer - washer - pole - washer - nut, easiest if you remove the nearest temporary insulating tape binding first.

Last step is cordage to restrict how far your poles open to exactly match your gun, you can use a temporary bit of bailer twine first and test by putting over the top v's that you have created. I have different sets of sticks for my centrefire and my cz's as the centrefire needs longer cordage than the cz's. Once you know the right length you can drill 2 small holes and secure.

I am told that these eventually rust where you have drilled, mine are 5 years old and still fine. There is enough meat in the poles to go up to a 6mm bolt if needed.

On a still day you can do 300 with a fair degree of accuracy (practice only for me at this range in case of a very long follow up shot needed), if you are buffeted by a wind then as with any sticks your effective range decreases to as little as do not take the shot. I did manage a 4 inch group at 100 in a gusty 40mph wind on a range day, in normal conditions a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 is easily  repeatable.

In the image below the rifle is, of course, unloaded and the picture was for a friend to see the set up I use, it does show how stable these sticks are.

PM if anything not clear and if you can pick up from near Swaffham I will happily make you a set if you buy the poles, they only take a few minutes.

quad sticks.jpg

Hello, I have the 2 stick version bipod held together by old tyre inner tube and use a leather sling that slots over the pole tops made by mel and Lyn on PW .

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

31 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have the 2 stick version bipod held together by old tyre inner tube and use a leather sling that slots over the pole tops made by mel and Lyn on PW .

you can use quad sticks as a bipod and I have even used them as a monopod when difficult to deploy fully for some reason. They are heavier than a bipod and can make more sound initially but I am so used to them now. If you have stalked in well you should have plenty of time to deploy whilst you assess the selected animal for health condition.

I also have a short set just for the forestry kneeling/sitting position test.

16 minutes ago, 243deer said:

you can use quad sticks as a bipod and I have even used them as a monopod when difficult to deploy fully for some reason. They are heavier than a bipod and can make more sound initially but I am so used to them now. If you have stalked in well you should have plenty of time to deploy whilst you assess the selected animal for health condition.

Hello, I only use mine for ratting and rabbits so a 2 stick bipod is ideal, 

17 minutes ago, 243deer said:

this , couldn't be without mine now , I also have short ones , a bipod and two stick versions 

I made quad sticks following instructions from YouTube and a guy on The Stalking Directory.

I found them simple to make,really light to carry and very very stable.

Cheap to replace if you break one of the poles,think the poles were about £5 or £6 each from B&Q. Just make sure you get the 2.2m ones so you can cut them down if needed and cut the pole at your cheek lower then the other 3 so it is not poking you in the eye when you go to shoot.