UK Govt roadmap on Artificial Intelligence

Raja Clavata

For anyone who may be interested, UK Govt have published AI Roadmap - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) a report of some work carried out by the AI Council, about the strategic direction on AI in the UK, including ‘innovation led challenges’.  See Exec Summary: Executive summary - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) . It references a study done in 2017 by PwC about the economic impact of AI – potentially 10% increase in GDP: The economic impact of artificial intelligence on the UK economy (pwc.co.uk).

Regardless of the differing views of the pros and cons of AI there is undoubtedly opportunity for it to help drive economic growth in this country.

I'm yet to find a roadmap on how they intend to address the rise in biological stupidity but I guess that is another altogether more complex subject 🙂  

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

For anyone who may be interested, UK Govt have published AI Roadmap - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) a report of some work carried out by the AI Council, about the strategic direction on AI in the UK, including ‘innovation led challenges’.  See Exec Summary: Executive summary - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) . It references a study done in 2017 by PwC about the economic impact of AI – potentially 10% increase in GDP: The economic impact of artificial intelligence on the UK economy (pwc.co.uk).

Regardless of the differing views of the pros and cons of AI there is undoubtedly opportunity for it to help drive economic growth in this country.

I'm yet to find a roadmap on how they intend to address the rise in biological stupidity but I guess that is another altogether more complex subject 🙂  

Certainly an area that brexit could help the UK to trail blaze on, fingers crossed. 

AI does away with a lot of jobs, mostly at the lower "burger flipper" end, this is being used as the justification for Universal Credit.

Surprisingly though, work has found that high-end, but repetitive and predictable jobs go too.  One interesting study found that AI did a better job of writing Legal Contracts than professionals.  The reason being of course, is that they are based on a load of rules, once those rules are "learnt", the AI has no problem producing good results.  Here is a study that shows AI better at spotting bad contracts than Lawyers:  https://blog.lawgeex.com/ai-more-accurate-than-lawyers

AI will happen!  We cannot stop that (even if we wanted to in the West, China would not) 

General AI, the sort that can think for itself is the scary one.  Once more we have to work on it because, basically, the first to get General AI sorted, wins the World!

Once a machine can think, it can think 1,000 times faster that a human (speed of electronics versus the speed of neurons).  So, after one "human" day, it has done 1,000 days thinking, and what if it thinks of ways to think better?  It is exponential!

Really scary stuff.  Look for "Sam Harris" talks on the subject.  It is rather uncomfortable watching.

eg 

RS

On 12/01/2021 at 15:05, 12gauge82 said:

Certainly an area that brexit could help the UK to trail blaze on, fingers crossed. 

Through deregulation / lack of constraints around ethical AI?

On 12/01/2021 at 15:13, RockySpears said:

AI does away with a lot of jobs, mostly at the lower "burger flipper" end, this is being used as the justification for Universal Credit.

Surprisingly though, work has found that high-end, but repetitive and predictable jobs go too.  One interesting study found that AI did a better job of writing Legal Contracts than professionals.  The reason being of course, is that they are based on a load of rules, once those rules are "learnt", the AI has no problem producing good results.  Here is a study that shows AI better at spotting bad contracts than Lawyers:  https://blog.lawgeex.com/ai-more-accurate-than-lawyers

AI will happen!  We cannot stop that (even if we wanted to in the West, China would not) 

General AI, the sort that can think for itself is the scary one.  Once more we have to work on it because, basically, the first to get General AI sorted, wins the World!

Once a machine can think, it can think 1,000 times faster that a human (speed of electronics versus the speed of neurons).  So, after one "human" day, it has done 1,000 days thinking, and what if it thinks of ways to think better?  It is exponential!

Really scary stuff.  Look for "Sam Harris" talks on the subject.  It is rather uncomfortable watching.

eg 

RS

I've read articles that suggest that most CEOs could be redundant too since the AI does not carry all the baggage of an executive career and human factors around organisational politics etc. so much better to make decisions objectively.

As you suggest narrow AI isn't really the threat but there are so many unknowns over broad (general AI as you term it) - effectively the first implementation has the potential to become a virtual instantiation of God with significant physical implications on the planet and indeed life. We're not ready for that and unlikely to ever reach a point of global consensus on the subject, and it's implications, which just adds to the scare factor.

9 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Through deregulation / lack of constraints around ethical AI?

Not necessarily. The UK is already a leader in AI, we have several founding companies and achievements. Whether we continue that trend is debatable, but if we continue to invest and be an attractive place for talent to come, it could be a real opportunity to be at the front of the second industrial revolution. 

I should have said third 😂

9 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Not necessarily. The UK is already a leader in AI, we have several founding companies and achievements. Whether we continue that trend is debatable, but if we continue to invest and be an attractive place for talent to come, it could be a real opportunity to be at the front of the second industrial revolution. 

I should have said third 😂

Leader in Europe, yes, behind US and China globally.

Maybe if we really get our act together we could drive British Empire 2.0 🙂 

We were looking at using AI to write research reports. The quality was quite good but it became difficult to sustain the investment when you needed highly paid humans to sign it off and the grunt work could be done by offshored Indians. 

I still think that real, genuine AI is rare - much, when you look closely, is logic based. 

31 minutes ago, old man said:

Looking on the bright side and sarcastically, any intelligence artificial or otherwise could be welcomed in our politics?

AI that could exercise 'economies of the truth' at will would be even more worrying than the real thing 🙄

52 minutes ago, old man said:

Looking on the bright side and sarcastically, any intelligence artificial or otherwise could be welcomed in our politics?

I know what you mean but in the long term be careful what you wish for 🙂 

For me the bigger question is can AI growth outpace biological stupidity - difficult one to call 😕 

I wonder if the bloke who invented the wheel had the same reaction with the populace at the time ????

or more up to date ..... injecting stuff into muscle to prevent disease ?

It will happen for sure.  Space, the final frontier.  Imaging intelligent machines being able to travel though the cosmos harvesting minerals etc etc that we have squandered over the years and need to survive.  Is that so far fetched?

17 hours ago, AVB said:

We were looking at using AI to write research reports. The quality was quite good but it became difficult to sustain the investment when you needed highly paid humans to sign it off and the grunt work could be done by offshored Indians. 

Doesn't sound like a particularly good application of AI? I would have thought crunching huge data sets and deriving patterns and trends from that would have been more appropriate in your sector.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Doesn't sound like a particularly good application of AI? I would have thought crunching huge data sets and deriving patterns and trends from that would have been more appropriate in your sector.

Yes it is being used for that and has been for quite a few years. Algo  based trading strategies for example. However, we did think that we could do away with our research teams with AI but found we could make the numbers add up. Mind you MiFID2 did that job for us! 

20 minutes ago, AVB said:

Yes it is being used for that and has been for quite a few years. Algo  based trading strategies for example. However, we did think that we could do away with our research teams with AI but found we could make the numbers add up. Mind you MiFID2 did that job for us! 

Our data analytics group have been the early developers and adopters of AI in our org based on necessity around managing the huge data sets.

Pesky EU directives, eh.

16 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Along the lines of the rise of biological stupidity: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a34690565/scientists-splice-human-genes-into-monkey-brains/

Perhaps we should fear the rise of the apes more than the machine...

Very interesting, than you.

What is done behind closed doors maybe of equal interest?

On 22/01/2021 at 16:07, Walker570 said:

It will happen for sure. 

But then what?  The fact is only the first to develop it wins.  Once you have it, it becomes better by the day in a way that those still developing stuff have no chance of equalling!

As for aliens, we always have the Fermi Paradox:

The following are some of the facts that together serve to highlight the apparent contradiction:

• There are billions of stars in the Milky Way similar to the Sun.[3][4]
  • With high probability, some of these stars have Earth-like planets.[5]
  • Many of these stars, and hence their planets, are much older than the Sun.[6][7] If the Earth is typical, some may have developed intelligent life long ago.
  • Some of these civilizations may have developed interstellar travel, a step humans are investigating now.
  • Even at the slow pace of currently envisioned interstellar travel, the Milky Way galaxy could be completely traversed in a few million years.[8]
  • And since many of the stars similar to the Sun are billions of years older, the Earth should have already been visited by extraterrestrial civilizations, or at least their probes.[9]
  • However, there is no convincing evidence that this has happened.[8]

Copied straight from Wikipedia, but there are many, better discussions out there,

Yours,

RS

16 hours ago, RockySpears said:

But then what?  The fact is only the first to develop it wins.  Once you have it, it becomes better by the day in a way that those still developing stuff have no chance of equalling!

As for aliens, we always have the Fermi Paradox:

The following are some of the facts that together serve to highlight the apparent contradiction:

• There are billions of stars in the Milky Way similar to the Sun.[3][4]
  • With high probability, some of these stars have Earth-like planets.[5]
  • Many of these stars, and hence their planets, are much older than the Sun.[6][7] If the Earth is typical, some may have developed intelligent life long ago.
  • Some of these civilizations may have developed interstellar travel, a step humans are investigating now.
  • Even at the slow pace of currently envisioned interstellar travel, the Milky Way galaxy could be completely traversed in a few million years.[8]
  • And since many of the stars similar to the Sun are billions of years older, the Earth should have already been visited by extraterrestrial civilizations, or at least their probes.[9]
  • However, there is no convincing evidence that this has happened.[8]

Copied straight from Wikipedia, but there are many, better discussions out there,

Yours,

RS

I know we're going on a tangent here, however, I think it quite arrogant of us to believe we would have evidence of extraterrestrial visitors or their planets, and species with that much technology would surely be able to hide themselves from us if they so wished. 

23 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I know we're going on a tangent here, however, I think it quite arrogant of us to believe we would have evidence of extraterrestrial visitors or their planets, and species with that much technology would surely be able to hide themselves from us if they so wished. 

I agree with you but it's not really a tangent in my mind, it's about the evolution of intelligence and knowledge. 

There are a lot of ancient relics in this world that we cannot currently provide a credible explanation as to how they came to be, I find that interesting. Some are incredible due to their physical size and others on the basis of their distribution and how everything is precisely lined up.

There was a lot of fuss a couple years ago about the interstellar comet named Oumuamua, we were'nt even smart enough to spot it in time to photograph it passing us but there are various conflicting theories on what it actually was and it's potential origin. The trajectory and acceleration of it suggested it was somehow powered, some believe it was a probe sent from a distant civilization powered by a solar sail. Even if it were the case we have no way of knowing if it's able to communicate back to it's origin or just drifting aimlessly through space (like some of our own probes).

There are various theories around the evolution of super intelligent life, one argument states that in order to reach a level of super intelligence then the risk of self annihilation must be overcome and in doing so the "species" would either already be or evolve to become a "peaceful" one. If an intelligent species was "watching" us then they might assess we are quite well developed in the evolution of our intelligence and it be best to just leave us alone. It's unlikely that there is anything on earth that they'd really need if they had already come this far in findingus - it would surely be more "intelligent" to harvest planets that had no or only early stages of intelligent life forming on them. 

On the basis of the sheer scale of the universe and my own version of logical reasoning, I highly suspect the universe is scattered with life on various stages and trajectories of evolution. Like you say, incredibly arrogant not think so, just like in my view it's totally flawed logic to believe that if "something" is responsible for all this creation then earth, let alone us as individuals, would be of zero consequence to that "something".

Coming back on AI, in ordert for Super intelligent AI to function optimally, humans need to be taken out the loop. Today the data sets we feed the AI is already subject to human bias which distorts the outcome. Of course some would insist humans must be in the loop else the AI will quickly decide to take us out altogether... 

6 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I agree with you but it's not really a tangent in my mind, it's about the evolution of intelligence and knowledge. 

There are a lot of ancient relics in this world that we cannot currently provide a credible explanation as to how they came to be, I find that interesting. Some are incredible due to their physical size and others on the basis of their distribution and how everything is precisely lined up.

There was a lot of fuss a couple years ago about the interstellar comet named Oumuamua, we were'nt even smart enough to spot it in time to photograph it passing us but there are various conflicting theories on what it actually was and it's potential origin. The trajectory and acceleration of it suggested it was somehow powered, some believe it was a probe sent from a distant civilization powered by a solar sail. Even if it were the case we have no way of knowing if it's able to communicate back to it's origin or just drifting aimlessly through space (like some of our own probes).

There are various theories around the evolution of super intelligent life, one argument states that in order to reach a level of super intelligence then the risk of self annihilation must be overcome and in doing so the "species" would either already be or evolve to become a "peaceful" one. If an intelligent species was "watching" us then they might assess we are quite well developed in the evolution of our intelligence and it be best to just leave us alone. It's unlikely that there is anything on earth that they'd really need if they had already come this far in findingus - it would surely be more "intelligent" to harvest planets that had no or only early stages of intelligent life forming on them. 

On the basis of the sheer scale of the universe and my own version of logical reasoning, I highly suspect the universe is scattered with life on various stages and trajectories of evolution. Like you say, incredibly arrogant not think so, just like in my view it's totally flawed logic to believe that if "something" is responsible for all this creation then earth, let alone us as individuals, would be of zero consequence to that "something".

Coming back on AI, in ordert for Super intelligent AI to function optimally, humans need to be taken out the loop. Today the data sets we feed the AI is already subject to human bias which distorts the outcome. Of course some would insist humans must be in the loop else the AI will quickly decide to take us out altogether... 

Interesting post. 

It sounds like what your refering to is the kardashev scale, which has always interested me. I think by logical reasoning your pretty much spot on with your assumptions, although I'm not sure about the earthly objects, there's not much that can't be built, no mater how big, when you have hordes of expendable slaves at your disposal.