Firearms returns?

Nick_Mcc

Hi Guys 

Newbie here, and I need some advice. 

I bought a 12g shotgun from the UK and got it posted to Northern Ireland however when I looked at the gun it wasn't as described it has had the fore end butchered and changed from standard which doesn't look right also the barrels show **$ on both barrels which I'm lead to believe is skeet chokes the gun is fixed choke. When we looked closer we checked the chokes with a gauge and it shows 1/4 & 3/4 which is standard for miroku. I just need to know my options is it possible to return a firearm back to the dealer if it wasn't as described? I bought this gun as an investment but its not as it left the factory. It is a Miroku President 

Any info much appreciated 

Thanks 

Edited by Nick_Mcc

If it was bought 'as an investment', then you might find things a bit more complicated - you are expected to do your research and know what you're doing to more of an extent than a 'normal' buyer' - you're treated as a bit of an expert, whereas the RFD is a generalist

Having said that, if depends on exactly how it was sold, the description, photographs, etc prior to purchase. Also if it was being sold as an 'investment gun', rather than a 'second-hand gun', and also on the price paid as compared to other such guns.

For example : I see on guntrader that those guns are £5k+. If your gun was £2000, then it was cheap for a reason, and such reason should be clear to you, as an investor in such items, and therefore a bit of an expert in them

I suspect that returning the gun at present may also be a bit Brexit-dependent, with the way that NI is viewed differently by couriers at present compared with the rest of UK

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Did you buy it from a dealer in the UK or a private seller, through a dealer?

This will be important. 

49 minutes ago, robbiep said:

If it was bought 'as an investment', then you might find things a bit more complicated - you are expected to do your research and know what you're doing to more of an extent than a 'normal' buyer' - you're treated as a bit of an expert, whereas the RFD is a generalist

Having said that, if depends on exactly how it was sold, the description, photographs, etc prior to purchase. Also if it was being sold as an 'investment gun', rather than a 'second-hand gun', and also on the price paid as compared to other such guns.

For example : I see on guntrader that those guns are £5k+. If your gun was £2000, then it was cheap for a reason, and such reason should be clear to you, as an investor in such items, and therefore a bit of an expert in them

I suspect that returning the gun at present may also be a bit Brexit-dependent, with the way that NI is viewed differently by couriers at present compared with the rest of UK

Distance selling Rules may apply and that will make no difference. 

What may be a spanner in the works is if distance selling rules apply from England over to Northern Ireland.

I must ask however, did you not ask what the chokes were, and did you not see that the foreend was not original from the photo's (I assume there were photo's?) and the description given on the gun? 

1 hour ago, Nick_Mcc said:

Hi Guys 

I bought a 12g shotgun from the UK and got it posted to Northern Ireland however when I looked at the gun it wasn't as described it has had the fore end butchered and changed from standard which doesn't look right also the barrels show **$ on both barrels which I'm lead to believe is skeet chokes the gun is fixed choke. When we looked closer we checked the chokes with a gauge and it shows 1/4 & 3/4 which is standard for miroku. I just need to know my options is it possible to return a firearm back to the dealer if it wasn't as described? I bought this gun as an investment but its not as it left the factory. It is a Miroku President 

Thanks 

If it's not as described then return for full refund, distance selling doesn't come into it in the case that it isn't as described, it's statutory rights to refund in that case.

Distance selling covers some of the same aspects but is also a kind of "cooling off".

Complications may arise with the Brexit related transfer issues but that reply should be down to the seller to sort if it's not as described.

If on the other hand it was described properly but you've now decided you don't like it then you would be relying on "distance selling".

Decent dealer would accept the return if all is as you say. Having said that a decent dealer wouldn't have mis sold it.

Edd

What should it be choked at? And most pop in the end £10 choke gauges are not worth a ****, I have one and try it now and again. Don’t think it’s ever been right with what the actual chokes are. Your eye should probably tell you if it’s a fixed choke sk & sk. Best to just ring the shop and explain. The amount of misdescribed guns I see on guntrader. And the incorrect identification of certain guns is unreal. Miroku guns are the worst. A few people like to call there 3800’s mk38’s. Old 800’s are often 3800’s. And the odd mk38 grade 1 with not bad wood described is grade 3. Despite haveing grade one engraving🙈🙈

12 hours ago, Nick_Mcc said:

Hi Guys 

Thanks 

Have you contacted the seller and explained your concerns. ???. I would suggest an email then also phone them. Assume you have details of the original advert etc. If you don't get the result you want then just inform them your returning the goods for a full refund( within 14 days). Hopefully you purchased on a credit card. If so inform the seller you will be also be contacting the card provider. 

19 hours ago, Nick_Mcc said:

Thanks guys for all the replies, yes spoke to the dealer in the UK and explained the situation and my issues with the gun and they are taking it back and giving me a refund, good outcome. 

Thanks everyone for your help.

Good news hopefully you can find something else out there you like 

I had a presidential very nice gun 😊traded it for a sp110 as I shoot more game than clays and I think it is a better gun for the job 

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Good news hopefully you can find something else out there you like 

I had a presidential very nice gun 😊traded it for a sp110 as I shoot more game than clays and I think it is a better gun for the job 

Yes already found a replacement I have bought a DT11 Gold sporter - which I can't wait to get my hands on! 

On 14/01/2021 at 11:41, JTaylor91 said:

Thanks:good: , I suppose that is why online sites have Ts & Cs which state the time period. 

Interestingly there is a disclaimer at the top of the page so it may change.

"The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on distance selling now apply. This page is currently out of date."

Cheers