Jump to content

Any suggestions & ideas welcome


Recommended Posts

Looking for any input off people who may of done this , an adjustable comb riser for a rifle! Firstly it's a sako75 walnut stock , reason cheek weld using n.v , dont want to go down the foam/kydex route . I've scoured youtube/threads etc but welcome any input , to get it done professionally about £400 , and dont want to buy another grs, then pillar and bed it again, got 2 already, got a few ideas , can make the necessary metal work myself, thinking of brass which I have , I've just cut up an old airgun stock in beech and banged a couple of pieces of stud in to give a visual , internal metal work be a lot more refined, so any ideas welcome, be a project over the next month or so. 

20210110_194919.jpg

20210110_201258.jpg

20210110_201432.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Done at least three myself. I used the Graco mechanics - cost from £25-40 on PW or Ebay.  These give sideways movement as well as up and down. When the cheek piece was cut out - on one or two - it removed more wood than I really wanted to and exposed the bolt hole through the stock. These were over and unders, which have less wood to play with than a rifle. On one, it left little wood to mount the mechanism in. I resolved that by pushing a section of brush handle down the bolt hole and re-drilling it for the stock bolt.

You appear to have mastered the cutting out - the most nerve wracking part of the job. I used a Rotozip - similar to a Dremel - to countersink the mechanism. Also be careful when drilling the holes in the comb piece. On one, I actually pierced the surface on the top. Not a problem, as it was very small - filled in easily with superglue and sawdust - and I was re-finishing the stock anyway.

Edited by Gordon R
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Gordon, was toying with a fine blade on the bandsaw, probably be a cleaner cut , but with the fret, feel more in control ! Was thinking of two supporting pins in brass & two bosses let into the stock , with side grub screws to lock the height also in brass, think I can pull it off , got the lathe & tools , there probably will be a gap on the cut line either try a bit of veneer or got a brand new tub of devcon , bed the bosses into stock and why not use a thin layer of devcon between the stock & comb ? Make a flush fit & thin grey line wouldn't be amiss ! Just ideas at the minute, sort the brass out first and play on the lathe...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...