Exercise Bikes?

NatureBoy

2 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Any recommendations? After having planter fasciitis for 9 mths, plus covid/long covid looking to getting my cardio up. I am 6' 3"ft and 19st and big feet. So looking for one simple tough that will last that is not crazy money. Cheers.        NB

Buy a second hand one, Samboy has got one he doesn't use 😅😅

If you have a normal bike have you thought about a turbo trainer?

2 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Any recommendations? After having planter fasciitis for 9 mths, plus covid/long covid looking to getting my cardio up. I am 6' 3"ft and 19st and big feet. So looking for one simple tough that will last that is not crazy money. Cheers.        NB

We've got one and it's brilliant. We hang the washing on it, and it's in the conservatory and looks out on the garden, so the handlebars are perfect to hang my binoculars. It's got quite a firm seat, which I like because it's easier to balance a cup of tea on. 

I’m not sure the bike will do much for your plantar; I’ve had it on and off for years.....steroid injections ( painful ) directly into the heel, which work for a while, then the cushioned Achilles’ tendon /heel thingies which work well but aren’t cheap and are bulky. The best thing I’ve found, and which has completely cured it, has been stretching exercises.
Simply stand on the edge of a step but only have the balls of your feet actually in the step, then lower your heels as far as you can go, really letting your weight stretch that sole, then raise yourself up onto the balls of your feet. Ten reps or as many as you can bear. 
I used to do it first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but haven’t done it for a long time now as I’ve never felt the need. 
There’s loads more advice on YouTube. 
Hope this helps. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure the bike will do much for your plantar; I’ve had it on and off for years.....steroid injections ( painful ) directly into the heel, which work for a while, then the cushioned Achilles’ tendon /heel thingies which work well but aren’t cheap and are bulky. The best thing I’ve found, and which has completely cured it, has been stretching exercises.
Simply stand on the edge of a step but only have the balls of your feet actually in the step, then lower your heels as far as you can go, really letting your weight stretch that sole, then raise yourself up onto the balls of your feet. Ten reps or as many as you can bear. 
I used to do it first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but haven’t done it for a long time now as I’ve never felt the need. 
There’s loads more advice on YouTube. 
Hope this helps. 

I have just started to try these now, first thing in the morning. 

Cheers for reply's! . . .My planter came on after a road accident other year. Not so mobile after then got that. Heavy bruising and trapping nerves on that side. Plus weight gain don't help. Planter has now gone after 9mth. Mornings were the worst. . . . Like you Scully i am a decorator and found bouncing/stretching on balls of feet when working on ladders steps really helped. Along with deep massage. Standing all day not so good though. That and having bloody covid has really done for my field fitness. Never slept so much or been so randomly knackered. Immune system not great at mo, so trying to avoid folk. A life working on ladders and steps a lot always added to aches, stiffness and cramps. Will look in to rowers, but In past a spin on exercise bike after work really helped with easing muscles and joints. X wife had that though. So i fancy getting another  to get my fitness and cardio up while we locked down, as would normally be thrashing about in forest on my mountain bike. Found beach walking also helped.  . . Struggle to even walk 2mls sometimes now and couldn't do any brushing this season. . . Have now got sinusitis. What joy! . . . . Work is the last thing i feel like doing! Though i have got to get back to it as self employed. . . . .   Stay healthy! Stay safe folks!    NB   

10 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

After having planter fasciitis

I completely missed this bit, me and my brother both have trouble with this. He recommended these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orthotic-3-4-Insoles-Arch-Support-Heel-Plantar-Fasciitis-Orthopedic-UK-seller/182389037577?hash=item2a773bda09:g:XSYAAOSwVVRagfxh

https://www.pro11wellbeing.co.uk/view-product/34-Insoles-for-Plantar-Fasciitis-and-Arch-Support-for-Over-Pronation

I'm on my second pair now, I'm giving them 12 months each time, they never come out of my work boots and have made a real difference. 

I've also got some Berghaus walking trainers, vibram sole, but they are an orthopedic range and give great support.

Then like Skully says plenty of stretching. 

Edited by Mice!

7 minutes ago, treetree said:

Rowing machine. Just managed to borrow a concept 2, hugely addictive  and you'll be total body wrecked after 15 minutes.

I think I'd need a couple hours sat on a bike to reach the same point

Try this

1k 2 minute rest

750m 2 minute rest 

500m 2 minute rest 

250m 2 minute rest

750m finish 

11 minutes is the target. I am 12:07 at the moment. 

well i had it about 7 years ago surgeon told me to stop wearing shoes or trainers with self flexible soles,,

So ended up in sports shop in town having a look at different trainer assistant asked if he could help told him i had planter fasciitis and surgeon said i needed trainers that didn't have a flexible sole.

He said i know what you want and he brought me out a set of running trainers and said if you still have bother in 3 months come back and i will give you your money back,

started to wear them and never had anymore trouble...

14 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

well i had it about 7 years ago surgeon told me to stop wearing shoes or trainers with self flexible soles,,

So ended up in sports shop in town having a look at different trainer assistant asked if he could help told him i had planter fasciitis and surgeon said i needed trainers that didn't have a flexible sole.

He said i know what you want and he brought me out a set of running trainers and said if you still have bother in 3 months come back and i will give you your money back,

I've helped treat a few people with plantar fasciitis alongside their physiotherapist and actually getting someone with knowledge in a shoe shop to get you the best footwear is such a bonus!

I was part of a running club for a while and watched people spending 200quid on trainers only to chuck them away a month later to buy something else as they were terrible for their running gait. My current trainers are a 30quid pair or karrimors from sport direct with an inbuilt arch support, not great to run in but for loafing about they are really comfy.

I use a smart trainer plus a road bike  infront of a large tv, a fan, and some software called Rouvy running on an itv. 

it’s still cycling in your house but it has enough routes I have ridden in real life to almost provide the illusion that I am out on a summer afternoon enjoying a ride, not in my cellar in winter. 

If I could get the resistance to reliably calibrate I could race a few old friends who now live elsewhere round some old places we used to ride. 

There are other software alternatives like zwift and a few more but I prefer to try and persuade myself I’m outside rather than playing a very painful version of Mariokart. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2021 at 14:59, hawkeye said:

I had similar story. Went to a high end sports physio and as soon as I walked in she said “I know exactly what your problem is”, made some some insoles and told me to always wear shoes and make sure they have stiff soles. I went to a running shop and bought some Superfeet rigid inner soles with a money back guarantee if they didn’t work.  11 years later I’ve still got them and they’re great. Need to replace them really but don’t want to risk losing them.