Honda C R V in Silver , M O T fail but still good engine, Ideal farm vehicle ?

oldypigeonpopper

Hello, as above, to good to scrap so I have seen people buy just for farm use, is it worth advertising, I can find out details on mot , mileage, Tyres, it's the one with wheel on back door, What sort of price ?any advice appreciated, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hello. Thanks to reply,  not sure on welding Ken as not looked myself, It only failed M O T today, I think the garage might be over zealous as they are not that busy ,  details are Honda CRV 2004, 175, 000 ,  all wheel drive, Tyres good, heated seats, AC but needs gassing, Sat Nav , but needs Rom ? Airbags done on recall, failed on roll bar links, and welding, garage estimate for latter 🙄 the engine runs well, M O T runs out Sunday, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

For very complicated reasons I had my '03 Vitara MOT tested at two different places about 2 weeks apart recently.  One failed it on excessive play in the nearside ball joint, with advisories for corrosion.

The other place said there's nothing wrong with the ball joint but failed it on the corrosion ("no way I can pass that" he said).  So I've had the lower arm changed to sort the ball joint and I'm taking it back to the first place!

Moral of the story, find a "lenient" MOT centre.  If you're going to flog the Honda stick it out for a decent price.  If a puppy is worth £1.5k nowadays a car can't worth a lot less even if it needs a bit of welding.

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

For very complicated reasons I had my '03 Vitara MOT tested at two different places about 2 weeks apart recently.  One failed it on excessive play in the nearside ball joint, with advisories for corrosion.

The other place said there's nothing wrong with the ball joint but failed it on the corrosion ("no way I can pass that" he said).  So I've had the lower arm changed to sort the ball joint and I'm taking it back to the first place!

Moral of the story, find a "lenient" MOT centre.  If you're going to flog the Honda stick it out for a decent price.  If a puppy is worth £1.5k nowadays a car can't worth a lot less even if it needs a bit of welding.

Hello, Jim, still waiting to hear back from Son who's car this is and where was the M O T done, I will check out as spent half my working life in Engineering Welding

Trouble with welding is it's normally do-able but just a PITA so paying garage book rates plus VAT etc if you don't "know" anyone makes it a bit less than economical to repair.

My car doctor is going to cut a hole in the floor to weld up the bits that can't be got to from underneath!  I'll get the prep done, carpet up etc, he does the business with the MIG and I part with some £ notes... still economical compared to buying something else and trashing that as well, still probably stumping up £100's a year in repairs due to the hammer it gets the way I use it.

Hope it turns out OK mate :)

8 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Trouble with welding is it's normally do-able but just a PITA so paying garage book rates plus VAT etc if you don't "know" anyone makes it a bit less than economical to repair.

My car doctor is going to cut a hole in the floor to weld up the bits that can't be got to from underneath!  I'll get the prep done, carpet up etc, he does the business with the MIG and I part with some £ notes... still economical compared to buying something else and trashing that as well, still probably stumping up £100's a year in repairs due to the hammer it gets the way I use it.

Hope it turns out OK mate

Hello, my son decided he would like something else to drive so looking around for a newer motor, I am going to phone the garage and see what's what on the welding, then I will check myself, but I will try a sale on here as a farm runabout or spares, cheers, 

9 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Hope it turns out OK mate :)

Hello Jim, well I phoned garage a got the info on welding and repairs, I think it is still not worth scrapping and fixed up would make a good farm vehicle, so will put on sales later,