.223 advice

Burney

I have a Mauser M18 in 243 , they do one in 223 now for £600 new which is a bargain in relative terms. I’ve owned a tikka before and they are nice but the Mauser is on a par with them actions and trigger wise. For me the Mauser fitted better , having a longer length of pull. I also think the Mauser is quieter in operation which may or may not be a consideration .

2 hours ago, Burney said:

What do you think to the howa 1500 Iv been looking at them

I helped a friend with his first full bore which was a 243Win Howa and I was impressed with it's accuracy and it appeared well built.  Strange these days to see a new rifle particularly a small bore not to be screwed.  Be cheeky and make an offer to buy if they screw cut it and then you might do a deal on a moderator :good:

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, walshie said:

I do. My Tikka T3 came screwcut. My son does. His Howa 1500 came screw cut also. 

^^^^^ I have the same Tikka.

2 hours ago, Whitester said:

I have a Mauser M18 in 243 , they do one in 223 now for £600 new which is a bargain in relative terms. I’ve owned a tikka before and they are nice but the Mauser is on a par with them actions and trigger wise. For me the Mauser fitted better , having a longer length of pull. I also think the Mauser is quieter in operation which may or may not be a consideration .

I have an m12 max in .243. Its good with a lovely smooth action and trigger but the coating on the Tikka is better  and the trigger just as good. If I bought again it would be another tikka. 

1 hour ago, kennett said:

I use a Howa 223 in a laminate stock with a mag conversion and can't fault it, more accurate than I'll ever be. I zero at 50 yards, which puts you within a foxes kill zone out to 200

This is good advice.

Be realistic and decide what range you will be shooting at. I usually shoot at 50/60/70 yards, never more than 100.

I zero at 60 yards. Out to 130 yards the bullet is within a 0.6" radius which lets you just aim and shoot. It saves you a lot of time without needing to adjust for elevation and just as importantly it gives you confidence.

Have a look online for a ballistics program, plenty are free, and work out what suits you best.

I dont think the .223 is any less screw cut than other calibres.  Not that many years ago virtually nothing was delivered screwcut but more and more is now turning up screwcut.

Mods are personal preference and slowly getting smaller/lighter although not necesarrily that much quieter.  All mine have a mod, the P8 COMPACT, they go back a while now. .223/.243/.308  (the tube top right area shows the length of the normal size P8 Tube, after a bit of experiment I found the additional benefit limited so stick with the P8 Compact)

1468877130_CentrefireSet002Edit.jpg.9b3faaa01acbf11ce98054d8a62affd9.jpg

2 hours ago, Burney said:

What distance do you all zero a .223?

All my centerfires are zeroed at 200 yards but that just works for me, there is no one distance perfect zero for everyone, ammo choice also comes into it, you need to work out the most appropriate zero for what you do! :good:

Edited by Dekers

As Burney says you zero to YOUR requirements but I have always advised zeroing one and a half inches high at 100 and will put you about spot on a 200 with a 55g bullet in the 223 .

All down to the load/cartridge you are using. The 223 is quite a loopy round and set at that will be near 8 inches low at 300. 

12 hours ago, Burney said:

Thanks for all you comments I think I’m going to go with howa

Excellent choice . I have a .223 which is well over 10 years old as I’ve had it 7 years . It’s had 1500 rounds through it since I’ve owned it and it shoots 1” groups at 160 yards with my reloads .

howas are imported without being screw cut as I know the place that cuts them for the importer. All are sold screw cut tho . 
my 243 howa is a superb gun .