One for the Winchester fans. 6500 Sporter

HoTsHoT-10

Good evening all,

I know there are some avid classic Winchester fans on here so thought I would share my latest purchase here. 

30” Winchester 6500 sporter m/c. Very nice gun with superb handling, for me comes up and handles nicer than my g5 725 sporter. Can’t wait to get out and give it a try. 

8BD17336-FE8B-4C40-A88D-C2268151E15C.jpeg

C4DF40D5-A946-49BD-A118-681585ED499F.jpeg

481B5200-C522-437E-95DA-2FFEF29AED6D.jpeg

Edited by HoTsHoT-10

11 minutes ago, HoTsHoT-10 said:

Thanks for the comments. 

I sold a 101 and super grade last year and missed having a classic Winchester. This one was new ATA money. 

New ATA money no comparison is there .I was talking to a dealer the other day and he told me 20 years ago he could sell as many of the old classic Winchesters as he could get his hands on but now there are fewer people left who remember how good they were ,people would rather have a 12  month guarantee still it's there loss .My favourite is the 5500 in the same spec as your 6500 basically a game version absolutely superb gun ,I have had both versions with the 28 inch barrels and they just weren't the same.

7 hours ago, holloway said:

New ATA money no comparison is there .I was talking to a dealer the other day and he told me 20 years ago he could sell as many of the old classic Winchesters as he could get his hands on but now there are fewer people left who remember how good they were ,people would rather have a 12  month guarantee still it's there loss .My favourite is the 5500 in the same spec as your 6500 basically a game version absolutely superb gun ,I have had both versions with the 28 inch barrels and they just weren't the same.

I would have to agree with you there. There doesn’t seem to be a great deal for sell, especially the 6500’s. I know they were not sold for many years. People must have them safely tucked away somewhere? Ladds guns currently have a nice 5500 30” sporter for sale 

I own a 101 supergrade with the raised side panels like the 6500 has. I can see  difference in the dulled receiver top and in the engraving. Are there other differences between these two Winchesters? What I like most about the 101 is that it is the best handling gun I have ever had in my hands.

41 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Back in the day, my old man used to clear up all the local straw bale shoots with a 30” 101 Waterfowl fixed choke Xtra full both barrels. Not seen another one like it.

I’ve a winchoke one now and it gets used for all sorts.

The only ones I have seen have all been winchoke  as well. My mate has just about a 8500 trap which is choked full and X full and shoots very nicely. 

1 hour ago, reindeer said:

I own a 101 supergrade with the raised side panels like the 6500 has. I can see  difference in the dulled receiver top and in the engraving. Are there other differences between these two Winchesters? What I like most about the 101 is that it is the best handling gun I have ever had in my hands.

I’m not sure if any internal changes but the leaflet I have for “the 86 winchesters” basically remarks about the stock dimensions being revised, a big emphasis on balance and handling, the adjustable trigger and the flush rather than extended winchokes. 

36 minutes ago, tweedledee said:

I read that the 101 based 5500/6500 sold so we'll back then that's why browning bought them over....I still maintain they handle as well as some of today's finest sporters..

P.s was this the one ivythorn had on guntrader??

Was indeed. Steve is about 5 mins from me and he’s a brilliant guy to deal with. They had this one and the fc one but they sold that one before they persuaded me into this one.

Edited by HoTsHoT-10

Hi guys,

Don't know that much about the old Winchester's. Were the Japanese ones manufactured in the old Nikko factory.

Also how do they differ in build quality and design from the Browning and miroku of the same time.

Reason I ask ,I have been offered a Winchester diamond grade trap, but dont know much about Winchester's in general

Don't know that much about the old Winchester's. Were the Japanese ones manufactured in the old Nikko factory.

Also how do they differ in build quality and design from the Browning and miroku of the same time.

Reason I ask ,I have been offered a Winchester diamond grade trap, but dont know much about Winchester's in general

Winchester, Parker Hale 800 series and Nikko are all basically the same gun. They were well built and very similar to the Mirokus of that era. They had chrome lined barrels, which made them better than the Mirokus, in my opinion. The only down side from memory was that some were not the tightest fit, even when new. the handling, in my opinion, was as good as anything of that era and probably today.

Diamond grade trap was normally 30" with bottom barrel Winchoke and top fixed at Full. I have seen the odd 32" version. I had the 30" version, which has a raised rib - quite a decent step up in that day. Going rate is £750-900. I would buy another.

Edited by Gordon R