Time to decide, maybe?

old man

Listening to the news and talking to family who export product to the EU it seems that despite signed trade deals the wheels have come off for us?

What used to take 24 hours to ship is now 3 days, this obviously removes our competitiveness, quite by design I'm sure? It was never going to be easy?

Time for our Government to wake up and act to redress this imbalance quickly. Maybe starting with cars, wine, cheese and access to info from GCHQ?

Not holding my breath of course as experience tell me that's a bad idea.

For me from now a tiny personal protest, no more purchases of EU goods, Will buy from our own, elsewhere or go without. Drugs may be a problem though as we have over time given control of most things away,

Maybe time to now to expand and keep pharmaceutical capability in house?

Just frustration!

Tin hat firmly in place.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing a lot of reports about fruit and veg shelves being empty in the supermarkets and I don't understand it. The supermarkets promote the fact that most of their fresh produce comes from local suppliers so that being the case then why are they empty? 

I don't buy fruit and veg from supermarkets so it doesn't affect me, one news report was showing that the milk shelves were empty... I wasn't aware that our milk came from the EU? I'm guessing a lot of this is being driven by spite from EU countries and being driven by a massive kick the government media campaign 

7 minutes ago, old man said:

Listening to the news and talking to family who export product to the EU it seems that despite signed trade deals the wheels have come off for us?

What used to take 24 hours to ship is now 3 days, this obviously removes our competitiveness, quite by design I'm sure? It was never going to be easy?

Time for our Government to wake up and act to redress this imbalance quickly. Maybe starting with cars, wine, cheese and access to info from GCHQ?

For me from now a tiny personal protest, no more purchases of EU goods, Will buy from our own, elsewhere or go without. Drugs may be a problem though as we have over time given control of most things away,

Just frustration!

Tin hat firmly in place.

I read an article the other day saying the government were looking at retaliatory measures due to this type of thing. 

10 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I keep seeing a lot of reports about fruit and veg shelves being empty in the supermarkets and I don't understand it. The supermarkets promote the fact that most of their fresh produce comes from local suppliers so that being the case then why are they empty? 

I don't buy fruit and veg from supermarkets so it doesn't affect me, one news report was showing that the milk shelves were empty... I wasn't aware that our milk came from the EU? I'm guessing a lot of this is being driven by spite from EU countries and being driven by a massive kick the government media campaign 

Hello, I am sure a lot of our milk comes from Poland , but then many many of our dairy farms have given up, 

16 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I read an article the other day saying the government were looking at retaliatory measures due to this type of thing. 

Well that would be the adult thing to do, I'm sure that the EU will capitulate immediately like the spineless cheese eating surrender monkeys they truly are 🙄

19 minutes ago, henry d said:

Well that would be the adult thing to do, I'm sure that the EU will capitulate immediately like the spineless cheese eating surrender monkeys they truly are 🙄

Not wishing to provoke Henry but I think the surrender monkeys reside at this zoo? 😀

Our lot need to wake up! ! !

It’s a fiasco and it’s hitting their own people as hard as us.  We ship antiques and artwork round the world, it appears though we have a low rate of vat on this of 5% the Europeans are going to go their full rate.  Most are purchased by private individuals so they can’t claim it back.

we deal with a lot of customs agents and most are having to stop exports as they are reaching their limits of the amount of VAT they can guarantee as the transit paperwork isn’t being discharged fast enough.  It’s one hell is a **** show and I guess will be a pain for ages to come

55 minutes ago, henry d said:

So what's the alternative, allow them to sink our business and just watch? That's akin to telling someone being assaulted to just allow your attacker to carry on and not defend yourself.  It's the EU who are playing games not the uk

54 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it would be interesting to know what we buy in the EU in terms of ££££ssss compared to what the EU Countries buy from us in terms of ££££ssss, 

It's in the region of 100 billion euros that we buy more from them. They simply could not win a trade war with the UK and is one of the reasons the EU had to back down. The remainiacs really do look a bit silly now. 

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

I was always told by the brexiteer brigade that we would be free to sell to the world and his wife...

And we would be if we didn't cling to the EU like a child to its mums apron strings, we've been hamstrung by bitter and/or scared remainiacs, but it's not a bad deal at first glance and we're a Million miles from the doom and gloom you predicted. I bet you feel rather foolish. 

31 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

we're a Million miles from the doom and gloom you predicted. I bet you feel rather foolish. 

Please give direct quotes

30 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

There are a lot of us about who remember life before the European Union and it all worked very well.

Me too

27 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

We are.  Wake up to reality.

I know that we are, but part of the thread is whining about not being able to trade with Europe because of problems that haven't been ironed out or petulant officials, did anyone really expect a seamless transition? I'm not buying from them ever again, boo boo! All very adult and longsighted

4 hours ago, old man said:

Just frustration!

Tin hat firmly in place.

I don’t think I’ll be boycotting EU goods but have been trying to boycott Chinese goods for the last year since they unleashed Covid. Problem is it is almost impossible to avoid “made in China” 

52 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

When have the French ever missed an opportunity to be difficult?

WW2 surrender? 

1 hour ago, bavarianbrit said:

So you will not be buying any more shotgun cartridges then? as all the components are imported.

Reload all of my own.  Yes, suppose the powder and shot comes from somewhere but hopefully not French.  Stuff them, the also forgot the Brits and the Americans saved their backsides.