Time to decide, maybe?

old man

1 hour ago, bavarianbrit said:

So you will not be buying any more shotgun cartridges then? as all the components are imported.

Nail on head here as a brilliant illustration of the straits we are in?

Russia and Finland make primers and powder and ammunition?

Control of nearly everything given away under the guise of competition?

Absolute lunacy on a monumentally criminal scale but hey ho, it's all we keep getting despite what we hope for?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Mungler said:

A mate in freight has just furloughed his staff not because of Covid but total catastrophe in the transport industry.

His advice was fill up your shelves and freezers, which wasn’t particularly reassuring.

Now you've gone and done it,

Here we go again barrow loads of bum fodder and bleach tearing round the supermarket car parks.

Hey !!! maybe we could grow our own veg ??? 

We have had ample time to prepare for this, 4 years infact so why is there problems now?Before the EU it was the Common Market and lorries were sealed with a customs seal and paperwork faxed ahead to the port which was then checked before departure. Simple. How do other non EU countries Turkey, Albania etc get their goods into the EU?

4 minutes ago, armsid said:

We have had ample time to prepare for this, 4 years infact so why is there problems now?Before the EU it was the Common Market and lorries were sealed with a customs seal and paperwork faxed ahead to the port which was then checked before departure. Simple. How do other non EU countries Turkey, Albania etc get their goods into the EU?

Backhanders????

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

A mate in freight has just furloughed his staff not because of Covid but total catastrophe in the transport industry.

His advice was fill up your shelves and freezers, which wasn’t particularly reassuring.

Could be worse, goods from one part of the UK to another now have to go trough EU border checks. 

Supermarket pleas mount as Brexit leaves Northern Ireland shelves bare. Six top supermarket chains demand action as customs checks bite.

Listening to the news and talking to family who export product to the EU it seems that despite signed trade deals the wheels have come off for us?

No. They are treating UK goods just as they would treat any other goods entering into the EU from any other sovereign third party non-member state. Same paperwork, same forms, same customs checks, same consumer safety rules. Just no tariffs. But everything else the same as for every other country outside the EU or that doesn't have an EEA (Norway) type agreement. An EEA deal was on the table. May and Johnson both rejected it. Actions have consequences. And this is one of them. 

Edited by enfieldspares

19 hours ago, Rob85 said:

The supermarkets promote the fact that most of their fresh produce comes from local suppliers so that being the case then why are they empty? 

The supermarkets promote UK fruit and veg but fill the shelves with cheaper foreign stuff. Been like that for a very long time.

Next time you go have a look, there will be big posters all on a background of union jacks and pictures of quaint little traditional villages, shire horses pulling carts with children chewing straw and running around. Then look on the shelves and find maybe 10% from UK at most.

Probably to be expected at this time of year as we are in the "hungry gap" right now, but look again in mid season. Apple season is September, this is a classic example, loads of union jack posters and the only English apples will be unusually small, mixed varieties in a bag and not very good quality. They will be surrounded by tip top foreign fruit. I have no idea where they even get such poor UK fruit because as an apple grower myself I wouldn't even try to sell it.

56 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

People keep saying we had 4 yrs to prepare for this we didn't what this was until January so how can you prepare for something when you don't know what the something is 

By preparing  for each eventually  that would be proposed,  if something was dreamed up at the last minute , then that is just someone being awkward .

28 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

The supermarkets promote UK fruit and veg but fill the shelves with cheaper foreign stuff. Been like that for a very long time.

Next time you go have a look, there will be big posters all on a background of union jacks and pictures of quaint little traditional villages, shire horses pulling carts with children chewing straw and running around. Then look on the shelves and find maybe 10% from UK at most.

Probably to be expected at this time of year as we are in the "hungry gap" right now, but look again in mid season. Apple season is September, this is a classic example, loads of union jack posters and the only English apples will be unusually small, mixed varieties in a bag and not very good quality. They will be surrounded by tip top foreign fruit. I have no idea where they even get such poor UK fruit because as an apple grower myself I wouldn't even try to sell it.

I think the supermarkets might have more on their shelves if they didn't throw away veg that didn't meet their exacting standards of shape and size, I find it slightly concerning when I see a bag of carrots that are all clean, smooth and bullet straight. 

When this pandemic has run it's course I would like to see the education system step up to the plate....pun intended... and actually teach children how to live and cook in a revamped home economics/domestic science class how to shop and cook for the family.

Where are the concrete examples of people being awkward? As far as I can tell the rules are being followed and there are teething issues which both sides are working hard to overcome as it is in the interest of both sides to do so ASAP. I suspect there are also consequences for not following the rules which is why everyone involved at the various points of import / export are playing everything by the book. 

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I think the supermarkets might have more on their shelves if they didn't throw away veg that didn't meet their exacting standards of shape and size, I find it slightly concerning when I see a bag of carrots that are all clean, smooth and bullet straight. 

When this pandemic has run it's course I would like to see the education system step up to the plate....pun intended... and actually teach children how to live and cook in a revamped home economics/domestic science class how to shop and cook for the family.

Don't hold your breath, they would rather teach diversity or promote degrees in nail polishing and fashion.  In my school days one of the joys of Fridays was raiding the baskets of the girls on the school bus for the goodies they had cooked in domestic science classes.   As a member of the young farmers in 1959/60 I joined a group of our YFC girls in cookery classes given at our local school by the domestic science teacher in the evenings  The girls could not get the numbers so my friend and I made up the numbers so the course could run.   Time not wasted. 

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Where are the concrete examples of people being awkward? As far as I can tell the rules are being followed and there are teething issues which both sides are working hard to overcome as it is in the interest of both sides to do so ASAP. I suspect there are also consequences for not following the rules which is why everyone involved at the various points of import / export are playing everything by the book. 

So brexit has been plain sailing 

11 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

No. They are treating UK goods just as they would treat any other goods entering into the EU from any other sovereign third party non-member state. Same paperwork, same forms, same customs checks, same consumer safety rules. Just no tariffs. But everything else the same as for every other country outside the EU or that doesn't have an EEA (Norway) type agreement. An EEA deal was on the table. May and Johnson both rejected it. Actions have consequences. And this is one of them. 

Er, I don't think so. The system should be fully automated, the paperwork is essencially no different now to what it was before. Except there may be a charge. 

Go to Rotterdam and watch them unload massive container ships in a matter of hours from all over the world. All done with no human intervention except the man driving the gantry. Nobody standing there with a clip board checking the containers 

The French are just playing silly boogers, trying to make a point 

Edited by Vince Green

3 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Er, I don't think so. The system should be fully automated

Go to Rotterdam and watch them unload massive container ships in a matter of hours from all over the world. All done with no human intervention except the man driving the crane gantry. Nobody standing there with a clip board checking the containers 

The French are just playing silly boogers 

Of course they are , only the other week they used covid as an excuse .. then another country  took a guys sandwich  of him 😀😀

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Don't hold your breath, they would rather teach diversity or promote degrees in nail polishing and fashion.  In my school days one of the joys of Fridays was raiding the baskets of the girls on the school bus for the goodies they had cooked in domestic science classes.   As a member of the young farmers in 1959/60 I joined a group of our YFC girls in cookery classes given at our local school by the domestic science teacher in the evenings  The girls could not get the numbers so my friend and I made up the numbers so the course could run.   Time not wasted. 

Time learning a vital skill is never time wasted, my mum used to talk about domestic science class...known to younger ones like me as home economics and it would have been a world of difference from what I done in school, having said that mum made sure all her boys could cook the basics! 

I was in local Sainsbury’s today. Definitely less fruit and veg than normal. Lots of carrots and apples but not a lot of anything else. Salad was particularly sparse. 

it could just be that it was a Friday and was inbetween deliveries or because of the Brexit ‘problem’.