Medical advice

Jamesrb90

Hello all, my shotgun licence is up for renewal for the first time and I believe I need to obtain a medical. The issue I have is my gp won't help me with this with the covid situation going on. Is there anyway to get this private? If so I would really appreciate a recommendation or point me in the right direction. Many thanks 

2 minutes ago, Jamesrb90 said:

Hello all, my shotgun licence is up for renewal for the first time and I believe I need to obtain a medical. The issue I have is my gp won't help me with this with the covid situation going on. Is there anyway to get this private? If so I would really appreciate a recommendation or point me in the right direction. Many thanks 

Have you approached your shooting organisation for help?

BASC have a system whereby they can put you in touch with a Doctor who will sign it off for £50.

3 minutes ago, Jamesrb90 said:

Not a medical, you just need your medical records OR your GP can sign the Pro Forma after he/she has viewed them. My GP refused, so I had my records and sent them to a GP recommended by BASC. He signed the Pro Forma and all went well.

12 minutes ago, AVB said:

Since when? 

For many years, my licenses have been coterminous. My shooting mate recently renewed his shotgun certificate and had to provide medical details. 99% of all police forces have taken the law into their own hands. I believe it came 'into force' 2016 as I renewed my licenses in 2015 and did not have to provide my medical records, unlike when I renewed them in May last year.

Edited by steve_b_wales

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

For many years, my licenses have been coterminous. My shooting mate recently renewed his shotgun certificate and had to provide medical details. 99% of all police forces have taken the law into their own hands. I believe it came 'into force' 2016 as I renewed my licenses in 2015 and did not have to provide my medical records, unlike when I renewed them in May last year.

I have had a SGC since the 80’s with Herts, Norfolk & Suffolk and now Essex and never had to provide medical details. Last renewed in 2017 so perhaps it’s changed since then. 

20 minutes ago, AVB said:

I have had a SGC since the 80’s with Herts, Norfolk & Suffolk and now Essex and never had to provide medical details. Last renewed in 2017 so perhaps it’s changed since then. 

There are, I believe, one or two police forces who don't ask for medical records etc, South Wales Police for one, until 2 years ago. You may find that next year, Essex police force will insist on the Pro Forma being signed by a GP.

I've just found this:

https://www.essex.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/services/apply/firearms/essex/essex-gp-pro-forma.pdf

Edited by steve_b_wales

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

There are, I believe, one or two police forces who don't ask for medical records etc, South Wales Police for one, until 2 years ago. You may find that next year, Essex police force will insist on the Pro Forma being signed by a GP.

I've just found this:

https://www.essex.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/services/apply/firearms/essex/essex-gp-pro-forma.pdf

Thanks. Probably got that to look forward to. And this is where it gets ridiculous. Like many people I don’t use one GP. Yes I have a NHS one, and that is who hold my records, but I see private GP’s across the world (can’t get an appointment with NHS when I need it) so my ‘records’ are far from complete. If I needed to see a GP about depression or drug abuse I certainly wouldn’t see my NHS one and I’d keep it off the books. 

My Licence dropped on the matt this morning, with the renewal reminder back in Sept was a letter for my Dr to scribble on whatever they thought was required for a princely sum of £50. I gave them a call for a chat, the outcome was i told them i was refusing to pay. And if they wanted to pass on any info or share any info i had signed a declaration on my 201 FAC renewal form. 

41 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

My GP Surgery takes payment before they will even pass the form onto the Doctor. Without wishing to BASC bash - this should be their can of worms to challenge surely?

The BASC have avoided this since day 1. As most of their Firearms Department are ex Police Officers and some of them ex FEO's too, I think they could have made stronger representation, at the onset of these Doctors letters. Just seems unbelievable that for £50 I can get a suitable letter from a Doctor whom I have never even met. I wonder if these Police Forces would accept a counter signatory  on my application/renewal form, from a passer by on the street  ???

I'm currently applying for my first SGC grant.  My force sent a pro forma I believe to my GP, who returned it the same day they received it.  When I enquired prior to them receiving it they did say there would be a fee......but seem to have just done it regardless and forgot about the fee. 

Might ring them next week and ask if they want my donation...

15 hours ago, jan8p said:

I'm currently applying for my first SGC grant.  My force sent a pro forma I believe to my GP, who returned it the same day they received it.  When I enquired prior to them receiving it they did say there would be a fee......but seem to have just done it regardless and forgot about the fee. 

Might ring them next week and ask if they want my donation...

That's good of your GP, unlike mine who refused point blank to have 'anything to do with guns'! A donation to the charity of his/her choice would be a good gesture. The fee is between your GP and yourself, not the police.

3 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

That's good of your GP, unlike mine who refused point blank to have 'anything to do with guns'! A donation to the charity of his/her choice would be a good gesture. The fee is between your GP and yourself, not the police.

Got a letter from GP today saying I owe them £30 for the report, not too bad considering...

I do live in a rural area, in a small town that has a lot of shooters (game). Surgery probably makes a bob or two..