Chokes

tonymagnum

Nothing wrong in asking. That is how you learn along with listening.

Personally I have never come across choke tubes with more than five slots and take it that the #1 slot configuration means full chocke and that is full choke as seen by the manufacturer and this may slightly differ per maker but only as much as the bird will not know the difference, more slots less choke. Not rocket science.

Put it in the pattern.

27 minutes ago, tonymagnum said:

Sorry to upset you all knowing pocket book experts,,,you know the definition of an expert,,,an X is a has been,and Spert if a drip under pressure,Morning.

Yep, the old ones are the best ones. The letters that you're missing either refer to something which is unserviceable or someone who is useless

18 hours ago, London Best said:

Plus 1. 
I cannot believe the forum members obsession with and lack of understanding of choke.

We are both of an age and consequently am quite sure that you will be aware of/ have read the work of Gough Thomas (GT Garwood) on the topic. If that is correct, do you have an opinion on his work?

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You are indeed, but you should also accept that change happens. 

you usually decry anything to do with these new modern weapons with the barrels in a different configuration to what you suppose to be correct.

But you are a competitive clay shooter, are you not?  Or at least a very keen clay shot. I don’t know if you ever shoot game or if you have ever tried a SxS. I have used a variety of O/U over the years and I really don’t like them. 
I don’t go stalking with a target rifle, why would I want to shoot game with a target gun?

56 minutes ago, London Best said:

But you are a competitive clay shooter, are you not?  Or at least a very keen clay shot. I don’t know if you ever shoot game or if you have ever tried a SxS. I have used a variety of O/U over the years and I really don’t like them. 
I don’t go stalking with a target rifle, why would I want to shoot game with a target gun?

I am and I usually use an O/U which is a fixed choke Beretta, 3/4 and full.

I tend to use a Semi/Auto or a Pump Action for Wood Pigeons again with a lot of choke.

I own four or five SxS's and use them for Driven Game and occasionally for decoyed Wood Pigeon. The favourite is a Churchill style and is known as the Bank Gun.

I have shot plenty of .22" and full bore rifles, machine guns and cannon.

I accept that each one has its place in my cabinets!

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I was an avid follower of GT throughout the sixties, when I was an impressionable teenager eager to learn about shooting / guns.
To be fair, I am possibly too much influenced by him.

The reason I asked relates to Gunman's request. On the face of it, it's not a bad idea as there is a load of good info' on this Forum from which members - especially newcomers/youngsters to our sport -  could well benefit. However, would we be instantly heading for an almighty slanging match. This is one emotive topic whereby anyone having an opinion - particularly biased towards having a need for some choke - can readily be classed as obsessed. Most of GT's (not to mention everyone else) writing was based on the work of Burrard. That is until towards the end of his career when he started to express doubts about the validity of earlier work. It is fair to say that these early findings  are still used misguidedly as a reference by many today. This doubt coincided with the major studies undertaken - particularly in the USA but also here in the UK to better understand the ballistics/performance of lead shot so that a more accurate assessment could be made of the newly emerging Non Toxic Shot. For us in the UK these studies reflected that we could be using too little choke. However, at that time - in the 60s/70s and earlier -  the nature of our shooting was such that we got away with it. It is a shame that BASC who adopted Roster's findings but then made a mess of it in adapting the info' to suit our needs/quarry species as had they not done so, we could all be singing from the same hymn sheet by now. This is particularly relevant in view of the trend towards extended ranges. However, it is just possible that this will be reversed (excluding the use of TSS) as we head towards the more common use of non lead shot.

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

The reason I asked relates to Gunman's request. On the face of it, it's not a bad idea as there is a load of good info' on this Forum from which members - especially newcomers/youngsters to our sport -  could well benefit. However, would we be instantly heading for an almighty slanging match. This is one emotive topic whereby anyone having an opinion - particularly biased towards having a need for some choke - can readily be classed as obsessed. Most of GT's (not to mention everyone else) writing was based on the work of Burrard. That is until towards the end of his career when he started to express doubts about the validity of earlier work. It is fair to say that these early findings  are still used misguidedly as a reference by many today. This doubt coincided with the major studies undertaken - particularly in the USA but also here in the UK to better understand the ballistics/performance of lead shot so that a more accurate assessment could be made of the newly emerging Non Toxic Shot. For us in the UK these studies reflected that we could be using too little choke. However, at that time - in the 60s and earlier -  the nature of our shooting was such that we got away with it. It is a shame that BASC who adopted Roster's findings but then made a mess of it in adapting the info' to suit our needs/quarry species as had they not done so, we could all be singing from the same hymn sheet by now. This is particularly relevant in view of the trend towards extended ranges. However, it is just possible that this will be reversed (excluding the use of TSS) as we head towards the more common use of non lead shot.

Very interesting.:good: