Our garden has been invaded by moles,gutted only just finished levelling lawn last year and now it's wrecked.

I have five traps set,but nothing yet.

Can you use something like a verminator ?I have propane torches 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Any help appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

There’s only one man that can help 🤔

we all know who he is 👍

You need to patch a call through international rescue and get him pronto 😂🤔

Yep .

Thunderpants are go 😊.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Only a short flight from Norfolk as well or a ride in Lady Penelope's Rolls.

On serious note the verminator idea is not good as that WILL destroy your lawn.

Never mind the damage , think of the fun 😅.

Leave the Verminator well alone.  Stick with 'Duffus' traps.  Its coming up to mole breeding time soon, so it could get busier.

The level they burrow at depends on how deep their prey is (mostly worms). The depth of the worms depend on the temperature and moistness of the soil.

I find brand new traps tend to be 'backfilled' (where Mr Mole is suspicious turns around and shovels soil into the trap). Although sometimes, they are successful straight out of the box. I like to bury mine for a few days to 'soil' them in. 

Keep raking the hills flat , so any new runs show up , and re set your trap's in them.

I hope this helps.  

Edited by Longbower

You could do what a mate of mine did when he had rats take up residence around his shed:  Funnel, tube, several litres of petrol.... match on the end of a garden cane.....

The rats were well and truly banished but he was off to B&Q the next day for a new shed!

19 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

What I want to know is do moles get coronavirus. 🤷‍♀️

I noticed that too, but it's now in the correct section 😁

9 hours ago, Longbower said:

Leave the Verminator well alone.  Stick with 'Duffus' traps.  Its coming up to mole breeding time soon, so it could get busier.

The level they burrow at depends on how deep their prey is (mostly worms). The depth of the worms depend on the temperature and moistness of the soil.

I find brand new traps tend to be 'backfilled' (where Mr Mole is suspicious turns around and shovels soil into the trap). Although sometimes, they are successful straight out of the box. I like to bury mine for a few days to 'soil' them in. 

Keep raking the hills flat , so any new runs show up , and re set your trap's in them.

I hope this helps.  

^^^ This.

Just one mole can make an awful mess and will know his tunnel better than you know your hallway. The Duffus are possibly the least intrusive (and as I have done will catch two at one 'sitting') and have the benefit of having a 'roof' which makes it easier to keep the 'light out' as it were making the tunnel appear unisturbed. All you need to do is take the same care in setting the trap as you would if you had to erect a scaffolding in your hall which went unnoticed..

As above keep raking the hills so you can track it, make moles are on the move now looking for a lady friend and stick your traps in a bucket of dirt for a couple of days to get the new smell off them

11 hours ago, CaptC said:

I don't think these are legal in the UK, as CaptC,  I used these on my small holding in France and was regularly called out to neighbours and friends gardens to get rid of moles, at one point I was so busy I did consider doing it as a part time job, My favourite trap though is the metal scissor type, I always keep a couple handy and normally it only takes a day or two to catch the little b*gg*rs,  however there is a certain finesse in setting these.

The mole is actually a haemophiliac, and I have heard many stories of people using broken glass, rusty nails and even short lengths of very spikey bramble laid in the burrows to cut the mole so he (or she) bleeds out, not a method I have used myself.  

One mole can create many many hills on the lawn as it moves around digging new burrows to increase its range, so finding a dozen mole hills does not mean you have a dozen moles to catch, probably just one or two.

Many years ago whilst living in Lincolnshire, I had a small black cat that would hunt moles at night when they come to the surface to mate, she would bring them all back to the house and lay them out on the back door step , sometimes 4 or 5 bodies like a trophy wall, sometimes she would even bring in a huge brown rat or other small rodents, probably the best predator I have ever had. 

1 hour ago, lakeside1000 said:

I don't think these are legal in the UK, as CaptC,  I used these on my small holding in France and was regularly called out to neighbours and friends gardens to get rid of moles, at one point I was so busy I did consider doing it as a part time job, My favourite trap though is the metal scissor type, I always keep a couple handy and normally it only takes a day or two to catch the little b*gg*rs,  however there is a certain finesse in setting these.

The mole is actually a haemophiliac, and I have heard many stories of people using broken glass, rusty nails and even short lengths of very spikey bramble laid in the burrows to cut the mole so he (or she) bleeds out, not a method I have used myself.  

One mole can create many many hills on the lawn as it moves around digging new burrows to increase its range, so finding a dozen mole hills does not mean you have a dozen moles to catch, probably just one or two.

Many years ago whilst living in Lincolnshire, I had a small black cat that would hunt moles at night when they come to the surface to mate, she would bring them all back to the house and lay them out on the back door step , sometimes 4 or 5 bodies like a trophy wall, sometimes she would even bring in a huge brown rat or other small rodents, probably the best predator I have ever had. 

Very interesting. 
I have heard that a mole always comes to the surface at 3 o’clock? 
The idea of letting them bleed to death is appalling. They have a higher number of red blood cells as they live in an environment with less oxygen so need the extra blood cells to give them the oxygenated blood. 
Tales of The River Bank - you will never kill a mole again!

1 minute ago, CaptC said:

Very interesting. 
I have heard that a mole always comes to the surface at 3 o’clock? 
The idea of letting them bleed to death is appalling. They have a higher number of red blood cells as they live in an environment with less oxygen so need the extra blood cells to give them the oxygenated blood. 
Tales of The River Bank - you will never kill a mole again!

A good reference point for information on moles is The Guild of British Molecatchers

15 hours ago, wymberley said:

^^^ This.

Just one mole can make an awful mess and will know his tunnel better than you know your hallway. The Duffus are possibly the least intrusive (and as I have done will catch two at one 'sitting') and have the benefit of having a 'roof' which makes it easier to keep the 'light out' as it were making the tunnel appear unisturbed. All you need to do is take the same care in setting the trap as you would if you had to erect a scaffolding in your hall which went unnoticed..

I use shallow black plastic guttering , cut just a little longer than the 'duffus traps , for a roof over the traps, lightly covered with soil, they keep out the light, are light to carry ,and stack and easy to wash off. I drill mine in the middle to take a wooden dowel  with insulation tape as a flag , so I can find them .

All my secrets, given away😂

I use the tunnel and scissor type traps. I trim the trigger bar on the tunnel traps a little bit. Tie some bright string around one of the loops and leave that out on the grass so you can find it. Pop in the tunnel and cover over. I normally flatten the bottom of the tunnel with a spade handle to stop moley going under the trap and push the loops or prongs into the base a little also. 

If they are in proper runs its easy, if they are just under the grass its a pain to catch them. 

On 18/01/2021 at 17:49, monshussar said:

Tried most traps with varying success. Best by far for me are putange mole traps. French type but on ebay. Don't forget the setting tool if you buy. 

As with any trap for any sepices, set right it will work, scissor or tunnel for me, the OP has one mole that has come from a main run and if not caught will return 👍  moles are beautiful creatures but not in my garden