Buying a second hand 223?

maverick123

I am looking for a 223 and it is my first centrefire rifle, I am leaning towards a Tikka T3X as I have the 17HMR.

I have seen a few second hand come up and they seem good value packages with mod etc already,  described in "like new" condition.

Most seem to say low shot count - is it reasonable to assume I will get long term use out of one that's fired about 250 rounds already? Seems to save 40% on a new rifle. I am looking at the heavier barrelled versions like the Varmint which i guess would mean the barrel is likely to be longer lasting anyway?

I don't expect to shoot more than 50 or so rounds a year foxing and the odd muntjac for the freezer.

Advice welcomed as ever! 

25 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

250 bullets the barrels should be like new if your only going to be firing average 50 bullets a year You should get years of service out of the rifle Side note if your buying 2nd hand rifle use the extra cash to buy the best scope you can afford 

Also with a scope, you may want to take in mind that in the future you may want to add a NV or thermal addon to it so you would need to take account of side parallax and low mag.

Mick

2 hours ago, London Best said:

250 rds is virtually nothing provided they were not all fired rapid fire.

As above....what does barrels is constant firing and overheating the barrel and throat.  If in doubt ask for a group.   I had one of the first 17 Remingtons seen over here but was told by my American friends the barrel would probably last 500 rounds. Knowing their attiude to blatting round after round down range at any inanimate object they could find I knew that in their way probably true. That rifle (Douglas Premium barrel) lasted me over ten years before the group grew to 1 inch at 100yrds and killed literally 100s of foxes, coyote, javelina, raccoons,  crows, rabbits etc etc., but I only ever fired two rounds to check zero.  The most I fired in relatively quick succession on one occasion was 40rds in about 45 mins at prairie dogs.  Look after your barrel and it will look after you.   My 308 official sniper rifle was still sub 1 inch after 14yrs of monthly practise sessions.

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

How often are you cleaning the barrel though?

Most lads I know have given up cleaning the barrels for normal hunting use, say any cack in there just gets pushed out by the next round anyway. 

My mate had that theory and totally ruined a lovely Manlicher 7x57.

Theory only works with .22 rimfire.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

My mate had that theory and totally ruined a lovely Manlicher 7x57.

Theory only works with .22 rimfire.

Agree I clean my 222 barrels after each foxing outing Maybe don’t need to do it all the time but I’m just fussy better safe than sorry 😐 

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Agree I clean my 222 barrels after each foxing outing Maybe don’t need to do it all the time but I’m just fussy better safe than sorry 😐 

I bought my .308 in 1989 and always clean the barrel after every stalking outing, even if only one shot has been fired. Barrel is still perfect.

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Most lads I know have given up cleaning the barrels for normal hunting use, say any cack in there just gets pushed out by the next round anyway. 

That is so not true it almost ought to be nominated for quote of the year. You clean the barrel because steel rusts if it is not protected by oiling it.

I have seen so many good rifles ruined by not cleaning and oiling. Similarly I have seen rifles ruined and ring bulged by not wiping the oil out of the barrel before firing. 

When I helped out in the gun shop years ago a man brought a rifle in to sell it. It was a Parker Hale Safari in .270. It had only had one outing from new, and then sat in a cabinet for about seven years.

When the shop put the bore scope on it the barrel was full of rust, externally it was perfect

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I always dry patch mine every time . Deep clean after 10 shots I guess and push through with acetone