Chainsaw Help Needed

bryan7162

2 minutes ago, bryan7162 said:

I have a Husqvarna 236, started it today, running for a very short time then cuts out, then will not start,

lot of smoke coming out of it, it is approx 1 yr old, not used very often, left it stored with fuel in it,

any suggestions welcome.

Never leave fuel in drain out , run carb to empty  . Get rid of the old fuel . Don't buy fuel from supermarket  filling station . Some how flush out the carb . Check the bulb for cuts . Check fuel lines for splits . You can get an adaptive to add to fuel to help store it longer .

As above, fuel system would be my guess.  If you leave them fuelled they get varnished up inside.

I put a cheap saw away a while ago in a hurry and then forgot to empty it.  It only started briefly and with a lot of smoke so I emptied it and put neat petrol in and cranked it over and let it run for less than a second.  The next day I drained again, added 2 stroke mix and was back in action.

I would agree with zapp ,empty old fuel fill with just petrol and shake about to get that old fuel of the tank and then try to start it ,ONLY A FEW BURSTS on the throttle just to clear .And always use good 2 stroke oil  Still oil shots are a good idea so it keeps it fresh.Also like someone said you may have to clean filter because the oil has gone like varnish ,there is sometimes a sponge around the outside or just get a new one. PS I have just tried to start without filter on to see if the filter is the problem .Best of luck they can have a temperament of there own sometimes.

Any of the alkylate fuels are good if you don't use the saw that often. Aspen, MotoMix or the Husky version.

They don't contain the ethanol that pump fuel does (which absorbs water over time and can damage rubber and plastic parts) and other harmful products. They also have a shelf life of years so you don't need to drain a saw. More expensive though.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I've got an old stihl strimmer that I've had 7 years and a stihl chainsaw that I've had about 5 years. They both run on supermarkets petrol and standard 2 stroke oil and I have never drained them.

They don't take a deal of starting when I want to use them.

I have a Stihl chain saw 18 months old. It would not start after 6 months idle and that was gunged up with fuel deposits. Had it cleaned through and the same thing happened after just 3 months. Chinese rubbish. I will swap to long life fuel when I next use it. 

I have stihl multi tool engine. Starts regardless of the time left idle. 

On 15/01/2021 at 22:52, loriusgarrulus said:

Fuel Fit additive gives Aspen type properties to normal petrol at a fraction of the price of Aspen.

Really it doesn’t. Aspen shelf life 5 years, treated fuel 12 months tops. Aspen 90% reduction in emissions, treated fuel....dunno same as untreated at a guess or worse.

treated fuel is cheaper but it doesn’t even come close to aspen et al.

On 16/01/2021 at 23:33, SpringDon said:

Really it doesn’t. Aspen shelf life 5 years, treated fuel 12 months tops. Aspen 90% reduction in emissions, treated fuel....dunno same as untreated at a guess or worse.

treated fuel is cheaper but it doesn’t even come close to aspen et al.

Where is the best place (cheapest) to get this stuff from? 

Any garden machinery place should be able to get some. Not cheap. I'll never use it for the simple reason I've not heard much great about it. Don't want a smoky engine, buy electric, or stop sucking a exhaust. Won't clog the engine and carb up, no it won't on a new saw, it will do exactly what it's ment to do, but when you've got soft lines from the normal use of petrol 2 stroke you'll likely get leaks from the lines shrinking when switching. 

Honestly it's not hard to just run a engine every few months. I've all stihl kit (some which is nearly a decade old) and I use decent 2 stroke and they all start easy. 

I have cheaper end of the market kit, mostly chinese that gets a bad press. I use supermarket or any other fuel whichever I happen to go to. When I finish work I empty the fuel tank (or turn off fuel supply) and then run the machine until it runs out of fuel to clear the carb. All the machines start easily after priming and are remarkably good value when treated carefully. 

I respectfully suggest that aspen is not necessary if you put in the tiny amount of effort required.

Most chainsaw places will have aspen or the husky/stihl equivalent.

I’m not sure anyone is suggesting it’s necessary, it is just one answer to a problem. Since around 75% of my work was machines with various levels of stale fuel problems, I suggest that even tiny amounts of effort are in short supply. Also aspen has better fuel economy, there’s nothing to put in standard petrol that can match that.

On 16/01/2021 at 09:18, harrycatcat1 said:

I've got an old stihl strimmer that I've had 7 years and a stihl chainsaw that I've had about 5 years. They both run on supermarkets petrol and standard 2 stroke oil and I have never drained them.

They don't take a deal of starting when I want to use them.

same here:good: