Krieghoff K80 Steel Shot

Cawdor118

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

I would think those introduced around the time all other makes were steel shot proofing their barrels will be, I suppose it all depends on how close to 1980 the gun you have in mind was made.

Im looking at one 2-3 years old. Im just wanting to ensure its "future proofed". 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Yes they're steel shot proofed, just be sure to use decent carts.

The bores are not hard chrome lined so would mark easier if shot contacts them.

Price of replacement barrels would buy you a nice gun.

Yes, this was a concern of mines as they are more likely to rust after a decent day in the rain too? What is the cost of a new set of barrels? 

Which barrels were you going for the SuperSport or parcours, the parcours are thin and light with thin chokes to keep weight down.

The SuperSport barrels are heavier with swaged ends to take the chokes.

Milliners list sub guage barrels for the K80 at £3100.00 so the 12 guage will be around the same. Fixed choke barrels are £2800.00 not cheap for two steel tubes and a block to mount them in.

As I said you can buy a decent gun for cost of barrels. 

Edited by figgy

I've had a nice K80 supersport titanium, sold as I was no longer using it.

Nice guns but the price they now want for them just ain't worth it. 

The Ceasar Guerini apex clay gun does all the K80 does for lots less money. 

Marketing is great for making you want something you don't need. But life would be boring if we didn't buy what we wanted.

Kreighoff and Blaser do seem to be the guns everyone wants at the moment.

11 hours ago, figgy said:

Marketing is great for making you want something you don't need. But life would be boring if we didn't buy what we wanted.

I’ve never owned a Krieghoff and never will at the ridiculous prices they are.

I’ve taken quite a fancy to a nice looking K32 on GT, but at the ridiculous price of £4500.00 for what is at least a 40 year old standard OU shotgun I won’t be buying it. 
Krieghoff have got their marketing strategy bang on; stating their guns should have a regular services and parts replaced at regular intervals is ludicrous, but people are paying it seemingly! Makes no sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, figgy said:

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ve never owned a Krieghoff and never will at the ridiculous prices they are.

I’ve taken quite a fancy to a nice looking K32 on GT, but at the ridiculous price of £4500.00 for what is at least a 40 year old standard OU shotgun I won’t be buying it. 
Krieghoff have got their marketing strategy bang on; stating their guns should have a regular services and parts replaced at regular intervals is ludicrous, but people are paying it seemingly! Makes no sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

I totally get it guys, its just one of them scratches I have told myself I want to itch. I really like the Blaser guns too but find the LOP is tiny. 

39 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

I totally get it guys, its just one of them scratches I have told myself I want to itch. I really like the Blaser guns too but find the LOP is tiny. 

Do you mean an itch you need to scratch! 😀

I’m not knocking you, seriously, I would dearly like one, and there may come a time when I take the plunge, but it will be a hard negotiated secondhand acquisition and I won’t be buying into the needless service schedule. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Do you mean an itch you need to scratch! 😀

I’m not knocking you, seriously, I would dearly like one, and there may come a time when I take the plunge, but it will be a hard negotiated secondhand acquisition and I won’t be buying into the needless service schedule. 

😆 Yes! Im busy watching the football... 

I wouldn't bother getting it serviced either to be honest. Its nonsense. 

42 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

I can relate to this as I feel the same. I’ve got the funds and I think if I don’t do it this year I never will. Just waiting until this lockdown is over and I can start travelling to demo some contenders. Top of the list to try is a K80 Parcours, after handling one at a clay ground recently. Before that I was tempted by a Browning B15 - I know, totally different!

Don't knock the Krieghoff service schedule too hard. For less than the cost of servicing your car you can have a service every other year. You are probably spending at least £10k so a few hundred quid every two years is nothing to keep it in top order and it refreshes the warranty so its a no-brainer really.  Your local gunsmith can't get hold of spares either if something goes wrong. They are expensive bits of engineering and should be looked after properly in my opinion.

But the thing is, none of my much cheaper shotguns have ever had a service, and function flawlessly year after year with minimal care, so I would expect something which cost around nine times that of any guns I own to function flawlessly, and wear on parts to occur at a much slower rate. 
Are they really engineered to a state of fragility? 

Yes Alan Rhone is clever, you pay the Alan tax called a service. 

14k gun needs servicing, Browning Beretta or Miroku goes years without needing a service does not affect warranty.

Must say if the B15 handles even better than the Browning Crown I'd be swayed towards one.

If you  shoot loads of clays the K guns are a nice gun to shoot them with. You'll still wonder where the cost of them goes and always will.  It's not like your getting exhibition grade wood, or some engraver has spent a hundred hours engraving them. Machine made guns the same as other guns, good quality metal though. Great trigger break, but lots of people hear the click in the gun and feel a little twang when they pull the trigger.  I was used to it but friends who shot it all used to say don't that bother you 😂

Kreighoff are not the only ones at it, Blaser have gone silly in price hikes. The blaser I like best are the older F1 like Munglers on the forum and the game scene engraved Luxus models.

The more expensive clay guns I've handled and shot the more I appreciate the value for money you get with Browning Miroku and Beretta run of the mill guns. 

The ultra XS sporting takes some beating, the latest Mirokus have very nice handling and are no longer the front heavy lumps they were. The 68 series Beretta if old are still very nice.  Odd the journey we take with guns. My personal favourites are my cheaper guns that are still with me.

Wyle, so true.

But in cars you can usually see where the extra money is spent, better interior materials and more kit, bigger engines and wheels , more power. But I do get what your meaning. 

To use a car as an example, Kreighoff or a decent spec Perazzi shotgun two metal tubes some ejectors, an action with springs and hammers, not complicated and couple of lumps of shaped wood for stock and forend.

Car many thousands of parts, electrics engines brakes suspension, many millions spent on development. 

When you look at cost the shotgun the costs don't really add up.

Trends and fashion, perceived quality.

Edited by figgy