Masters snooker

Scully

I lost interest in watching snooker for whatever reason in about the mid ‘90’s, but in the run up to Christmas I found myself watching it, despite only having heard of two players really, and much to my surprise really enjoyed it. 
So when the Masters came on earlier in the week I thought I’d give it a whirl. 
Watched a young lad by the name of Yan Bingtao and was mightily impressed, especially with his tactical game and the way his mind works. Have just watched him get through to the  semi finals after beating Stephen Maguire and rubbing a bit of salt in the wound by beating his highest break of the tournament with a fabulous break of 137. 
I’d like to think he’d win the tournament but I’ve no doubt the knowledgeable money will be on O’Sullivan. 
Will be watching with interest; terrific young player. 
Edited to add, I had forgotten the Masters trophy is called the Paul Hunter trophy, in memory of a young player who sadly died some time ago, and realised it would be around the time his illness was made public that I watched snooker on any regularity. 

Edited by Scully

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

I lost interest in watching snooker for whatever reason in about the mid ‘90’s, but in the run up to Christmas I found myself watching it, despite only having heard of two players really, and much to my surprise really enjoyed it. 
So when the Masters came on earlier in the week I thought I’d give it a whirl. 
Watched a young lad by the name of Yan Bingtao and was mightily impressed, especially with his tactical game and the way his mind works. Have just watched him get through to the  semi finals after beating Stephen Maguire and rubbing a bit of salt in the wound by beating his highest break of the tournament with a fabulous break of 137. 
I’d like to think he’d win the tournament but I’ve no doubt the knowledgeable money will be on O’Sullivan. 
Will be watching with interest; terrific young player. 
Edited to add, I had forgotten the Masters trophy is called the Paul Hunter trophy, in memory of a young player who sadly died some time ago, and realised it would be around the time his illness was made public that I watched snooker on any regularity. 

What I love about the Masters is that it's much harder to pick a clear favourite, because it's done on rankings; only the top 16 get there, so by form or by talent, everyone deserves their place. Someone in good form is dangerous, but they all have to be to be there! Yan's got a chance. He plays Bingham next, who's looked a little scratchy so far. But he's a seasoned pro and defending champion. Short games don't allow you to start badly...

Semis:
Yan v Bingham
David Gilbert Vs Higgins/O'Sullivan. That last quarter final could be a belter

Edited by chrisjpainter

It's an easy watch, the safety side isn't for everyone but watching two players play a real tactical game can be really good. 

As great as O'Sullivan is you just never know if he's going to show up, if Higgins keeps this up Ronnie might just quit before he gets going.

21 minutes ago, samboy said:

Prefer darts to snooker now.

But darts with no crowd? The snooker was bad enough without spectators at xmas, great shots being played with no reaction took the edge off.

Ronnie and Higgins  good game the other was like watching paint dry if you go on a site called FLY OR DIE there is a ton of games to play on there i play on the snooker but you got pool/checkers/ chess / just to name a few and you play other players from all over the world check it out  

Out of curiosity.......Yan Bingtao  and  Stephen Maguire as mentioned...why, on the scoreboard on screen, was Maguire listed as Maguire and Bingtao listed as Yan.

I have noticed this before with the Chinese playes, they list by their first name where historically all other players seem to be listed by surname??

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

Out of curiosity.......Yan Bingtao  and  Stephen Maguire as mentioned...why, on the scoreboard on screen, was Maguire listed as Maguire and Bingtao listed as Yan.

I have noticed this before with the Chinese playes, they list by their first name where historically all other players seem to be listed by surname??

IIRC in Chinese culture the Surname/family name is given first then the individual's name.