Diary of my SGC grant

jan8p

New member here 👋

Just to help me pass the time while I'm waiting for my application, I thought I'd do a quick thread of my experience, who knows, may be of interest to somebody...

I thought I'd apply for my SGC last year after a mate started clay shooting and got me into it. This with a north east force.

Application completed and sent off via email on 2nd December. The day after my referee tells me they've been in touch, so far so good!

Early the week after, phone call from licensing department to say they've been in touch with my GP, who said I'm not his patient. Doh, I forgot the wife moved our surgeries when we moved house last year 😂 Provide licensing the correct details..........

Sent them a quick email after new year to enquire on progress, letter to new GP going out that day.  Hurrah!

Contact GP a couple days later (start of this week infact) as I assumed they'd want paying for the privilege......yes sir we received the form from the police and have already returned it. Jackpot! "Don't you want me to pay for that then?" "Oh yes, probably, but the lady who deals with that is on her lunch, I'll get her to call you". Oki doke then..

And that is my SGC grant activities to date.

Anybody care to wager how long the rest of the process will take? I assume there's just the visit left?

I will update this thread with any further progress 🙃

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Usually just a couple of weeks under normal circumstances, but with this Covid-19 carry on, who knows? For my SGC they just sent out a beat bobby to chat to me and check my cabinet. They sent out a FEO when I wanted a FA cert. He was a lot more thorough as expected and phoned everybody on my FA training list to check my certs.

Thanks for the reply! Forgot to add, when I initially rang up when submitting the application, they said it would be up to 6 months 😱

Could be my wishful thinking, but so far they've been moving pretty fast. I really hope they don't leave me hanging for another 4 months when there's actually little left to complete!

I'm hoping they can do something modern, like a video call or suchlike. Who knows. Will give it a couple of weeks and enquire if I've not heard.

I do have a cabinet, but not fitted it yet. I will ask the FEO if they want to approve the location before I go and drill the walls....

It's an upstairs back bedroom that we've turned into a sports room of sorts, the other half has her bike turbo trainer in there, not used for guests (no bed) and nobody apart from us will go in there, so I assume it'd be OK.

I would tread carefully in making your inquiry. You have had Rolls Royce treatment so far, with an almost record time application - given that it covered the Christmas period and a pandemic. Someone might take the view that you are getting pushy. That said, I wish you well. Which Police Force is it?

9 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

When I applied the longest wait was from after the visit to it actually being signed off. The visit was arranged within 4 weeks of first applying then it was about 3 or 4 months after that before the cert turned up. Welcome and good luck.

Yeah, same here with Cheshire police.

To the OP: I imagine you will need a second visit to make sure the cabinet is fixed correctly. If it were me, I'd fix the cabinet where I wanted it. If it's wrong, then move it to the new location, and fill in the previous holes. It may save the delay of a second visit.

Another conundrum.

What is the general stance on fitting a cabinet above the skirting board, essentially hanging it off the wall? It will be in the corner of the room if that makes a difference, so somebody could only get at it from one side.  I'd also build a wooden plinth/stand to go underneath it so it doesn't look like a cabinet hanging off a wall.

I'm not averse to cutting out skirting if I must, but if I can get prevent it....

On 16/01/2021 at 15:56, jan8p said:

Letter in the post from GP today saying I owe them £30 for their medical report 😆

Not too bad considering what I've seen others charge!

Strange how different counties have there own ruling concerning medical requirements , I had to renew mine last year in Norfolk and always had excellent , friendly service, filled the required medical questions on the form and that was it , no mention of doctors involvement and more important , no extra charge .

GOOD LUCK on getting it sooner than later .

Thats great going so far. I applied for FAC in august in south yorkshie. Heard nothing from them . I emailed them a few times they confirmed they had my application then 4th of december another email sent. Said my aplication was up next and should hear in 2 weeks. Not heard a peep emailed again this week and told they can't give anytime scale at the moment. 

I'm gonna cut a bit of the skirting board out so it sits flush with the wall.

15 hours ago, jan8p said:

Another conundrum.

What is the general stance on fitting a cabinet above the skirting board, essentially hanging it off the wall? It will be in the corner of the room if that makes a difference, so somebody could only get at it from one side.  I'd also build a wooden plinth/stand to go underneath it so it doesn't look like a cabinet hanging off a wall.

I'm not averse to cutting out skirting if I must, but if I can get prevent it....

I have mine above the skirting and know quite a few others that do too. However I have spoke to a chap who’s feo didn’t like it as “somebody could put a jack under it”. Fit it above the skirting and don’t make an issue of it unless they do. 

26 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I have mine above the skirting and know quite a few others that do too. However I have spoke to a chap who’s feo didn’t like it as “somebody could put a jack under it”. Fit it above the skirting and don’t make an issue of it unless they do. 

Yeah that was my thought, guess it depends how difficult they want to be.  I was planning to alleviate the whole jack thing by putting it on a wooden block/stand, and screwing the cabinet on to it from the inside if I have to.  Still much easier than removing skirting.

Edited by jan8p

On 15/01/2021 at 22:44, JTaylor91 said:

When I applied the longest wait was from after the visit to it actually being signed off. The visit was arranged within 4 weeks of first applying then it was about 3 or 4 months after that before the cert turned up. Welcome and good luck.

Same for me- I went SGC renewal and FAC grant, called within 3 days to book in interview, met 2 weeks later and all ok'd verbally then 4 months silence to get the cert- I was pretty pleased all in given the pandemic etc. 

Good luck and let us know how you get along.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

If it has to be off the floor, I agree with putting a wooden block underneath and then screwing the safe to the wall and wooden block. One of my FEOs mentioned getting a jack underneath, if there was a gap. Not sure how many burglars carry a jack.

If they're going to go to that much effort, surely they'd just bring a portable circular saw and get in the cabinet in about a minute, but alas, I wouldn't argue with the FEO as I'd like my license please...

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

If it has to be off the floor, I agree with putting a wooden block underneath and then screwing the safe to the wall and wooden block. One of my FEOs mentioned getting a jack underneath, if there was a gap. Not sure how many burglars carry a jack.

This. My cabinets are on one long block, so in essence they’re all connected to each other, as well as the wall. 

11 hours ago, jan8p said:

Still much easier than removing skirting.

Will take you 5 minutes with an oscillating multi tool and a new blade, and look much neater, surely?!  Saves a lot of faffing.

Also, re the actual time taken: this is purely my theory, but there's an element of 'due diligence' involved in the application process.  I.e., there's a bit of a wait after you've applied, in order to give you the opportunity to do something stupid/commit a crime and thus be reasonably refused an SGC/FAC.  If you're an upstanding citizen, this is usually no problem, but if you're a borderline case with some...form, then your conduct during this waiting time will aid the FEO in his decision.

The above is based on nothing more than my hunch.