Diary of my SGC grant

jan8p

1 hour ago, dorsecore said:

@jan8p Any update buddy?

No progress on mine sadly. I rang Dorset, Devon & Cornwall office today - they aren't even picking up anymore - just rings out. I suspect its due to lockdown.

As it happens I chased it today!  They said I'm currently at background check stage, and there is a big delay at this stage so not to expect to hear from them for some time.......not great.

I'll give them another 4 weeks maybe, then chase again.

They are very efficient at answering emails though, usually respond within a couple of hours!

Edited by jan8p

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

it took 4 month for me to get an air weapon certificate and i already have have f.a.c. & s.g.c.

That's madness. The system is clearly in need to reform.

2 hours ago, jan8p said:

As it happens I chased it today!  They said I'm currently at background check stage, and there is a big delay at this stage so not to expect to hear from them for some time.......not great.

I'll give them another 4 weeks maybe, then chase again.

They are very efficient at answering emails though, usually respond within a couple of hours!

Wow - great minds 😁
Sorry to hear its no further along.

My bet is nothing will happen this side of May for grants. But fingers crossed!

13 hours ago, kenholland said:

grandson applied for s g c in chiswick , outside london , said they are not taking in anymore until further notice.

Same in Norfolk, just put in a Variation and noticed word to this effect.

Corona Virus - Applicants for the new grant of firearms & shotgun certificates

In response to Government advice around social contact the Firearms Licensing Unit is withdrawing from personal home visits.  A home visit is a requirement for all new certificate grant applicants and therefore we cannot accept new grant applications at this difficult time.  We apologise for any inconvenience but you will understand that this measure is necessary for everyone’s safety  We ask that applications for new certificate grants are not made until such time as the present risk from the Corona Virus is reduced.  Please monitor our website for updates on this situation.  

Applications for renewal of existing certificate should be made as normal.

19 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Same in Norfolk, just put in a Variation and noticed word to this effect.

Corona Virus - Applicants for the new grant of firearms & shotgun certificates

In response to Government advice around social contact the Firearms Licensing Unit is withdrawing from personal home visits.  A home visit is a requirement for all new certificate grant applicants and therefore we cannot accept new grant applications at this difficult time.  We apologise for any inconvenience but you will understand that this measure is necessary for everyone’s safety  We ask that applications for new certificate grants are not made until such time as the present risk from the Corona Virus is reduced.  Please monitor our website for updates on this situation.  

Applications for renewal of existing certificate should be made as normal.

But you can let a sparky or plumber in for a day's work.    Just a convenient excuse not to issue.

When I was renewing my FAC I asked for a SGC, after months of waiting I contacted the Police and Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley Police. I explained that I urgently needed a shogun to control foxes around the chicken runs and from a flock of 150 over 90 had been killed. I stressed the financial and emotional distress this was to my family.

I received a prompt response and an assurance that my application would dealt with forthwith. I waited a week and contacted the Commissioner again and said even more chickens were killed and lambing about to start.

Within a few hours the local FEO phoned and said I had set off a firework under the Licensing department and my FAC, SGC and explosive cert would be posted that afternoon. Result!

My advice is that you contact your Police Commissioner and not be fobbed  and treated like a nuisance.

On 02/02/2021 at 15:14, Mightymariner said:

It is poor but it appears each force can do as it pleases. BASC advise, as stated in their own magazine and SG recently, that it is a statutory requirement to process applications and you should contact your Police and Crime Commissioner if they aren't complying. However, I am very reluctant to go down that route and 'rock the boat' as I would be worried about repercussions in this application for my son and my renewal next year (I know that shouldn't be the case but.....).

I remember when I applied for my FAC & the FLO would not budge on mentoring I just mentioned to him “I am a member of BASC & I will give them a call for advice” his reply was “the police issue the certificate not BASC” I did call them & the advice they gave me was if you know someone who can take you out a few times might be worth it just to keep him happy. That was the last penny BASC had from me.

I know that we all like to have a moan about the way that our firearms departments do things , but I feel a bit sorry for them at the moment.  They must be a very long way down the food chain when government information and guidance is being handed out .  

I contacted my guys at the beginning of the first lockdown. All they could tell me , was to follow government advice and stay at home to protect the nhs , but if I heard differently,  could I please let them know . They also said that I got done for making unnecessary journeys,  it would be looked upon very dimly at renewal time. 

Having said all that , you'd expect them to be up to speed by now.

On 23/02/2021 at 16:12, mel b3 said:

contacted my guys at the beginning of the first lockdown. All they could tell me , was to follow government advice and stay at home to protect the nhs , but if I heard differently,  could I please let them know . They also said that I got done for making unnecessary journeys,  it would be looked upon very dimly at renewal time.

Why do people have this idea that we should be asking the police for 'permission' to do things?  That is very definitely the road to hell, and certainly very illiberal.

In any case, they're not going to give it to you - in case it comes back to bite them.

The lockdown legislation was pored over by lawyers from the various orgs and formal advice published.  If you must, phone your organisation - who won't categorically give you a yes or no either, for the same reason

Better yet: read, understand and follow the advice they publish on their website.  It has been arrived at by expensive lawyers who are experts in their field.  Following their advice will not and of itself be a defence, should the worst happen, but it will demonstrate your good conduct.

It's the best you can do in the circumstances

Edited by udderlyoffroad

The same goes for shooters calling their local plod before taking the rifle out at night ???   if a member of the public does phone the police as they are concerned the police have got to come out anyway, they will not take it for granted it’s just JOE BLOGS shooting because he phoned earlier.

Edited by blackbird

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Why do people have this idea that we should be asking the police for 'permission' to do things?  That is very definitely the road to hell, and certainly very illiberal.

In any case, they're not going to give it to you - in case it comes back to bite them.

The lockdown legislation was pored over by lawyers from the various orgs and formal advice published.  If you must, phone your organisation - who won't categorically give you a yes or no either, for the same reason

Better yet: read, understand and follow the advice they publish on their website.  It has been arrived at by expensive lawyers who are experts in their field.  Following their advice will not and of itself be a defence, should the worst happen, but it will demonstrate your good conduct.

It's the best you can do in the circumstances

I think that you misunderstood my post .

I didn't email the police to ask for permission,  I emailed the police to find out how I stood legally.  They were honest , and said that they didn't know , what they did know , was that if I got prosecuted for travelling unnecessarily,  that the prosecution would be looked on very dimly at renewal time. This was at the very beginning of restrictions,  when nobody really knew anything , the shooting organisations and government clarification came months later.

Just grabbing a gun and going shooting,  and blatantly ignoring government guidance,  could possibly leave you looking like an arrogant fool , with no guns . I'm not arrogant,  and I'm not a fool . Asking the right people,  the right questions, at the right time ,was the right thing to do.👍.

39 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The same goes for shooters calling their local plod before taking the rifle out at night    if a member of the public does phone the police as they are concerned the police have got to come out anyway, they will not take it for granted it’s just JOE BLOGS shooting because he phoned earlier.

I don't phone the police when I'm shooting,  but I do phone the farmers when I'm shooting at night . Several times over the years , farmers have called me , to say that police have either called them , or visited them , to see if they know that someone is lamping on their land . Speaking to the farmers has always settled things with the police , and they haven’t concerned themselves with me . I have been approached by the police in daytime though. 

8 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I don't phone the police when I'm shooting,  but I do phone the farmers when I'm shooting at night . Several times over the years , farmers have called me , to say that police have either called them , or visited them , to see if they know that someone is lamping on their land . Speaking to the farmers has always settled things with the police , and they haven’t concerned themselves with me . I have been approached by the police in daytime though. 

That’s perfect in calling the farmer but with more & more thinking it’s the right thing to do by calling the police before they go shooting we better be careful because before to long it could be law that you inform them.

16 minutes ago, blackbird said:

That’s perfect in calling the farmer but with more & more thinking it’s the right thing to do by calling the police before they go shooting we better be careful because before to long it could be law that you inform them.

I don't do it , mainly because I can't be bothered , but  I can see the argument from both sides . I'd certainly never ask permission from the police , but I can see that it might help in certain situations ,if you were to let them know that you're about (maybe a particularly sensitive area).  If I'm parking my car in an area that locals aren't used to seeing it , I put a pest control card in the window , then should the police turn up because of a report of a stranger with a gun , hopefully the police will call my mobile , rather than getting all rambo. 

I know that a lot of shooting folks wouldn't do this , because of damage to cars etc , but I've been doing it for years ,  and the worst that's even happened,  is nuisance calls from crazy antis. 

22 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Just grabbing a gun and going shooting,  and blatantly ignoring government guidance,  could possibly leave you looking like an arrogant fool , with no guns . I'm not arrogant,  and I'm not a fool . Asking the right people,  the right questions, at the right time ,was the right thing to do

What?

You're asking the police firearms licencing team for legal advice on lockdown legislation?

Why would they know about that?

Asking the police for legal advice is really not what they're there for, and a sure way to irritate them. 

Maybe, if fewer people emailed them with queries this, we'd get faster service on the things they're actually there for, I.e. grants and renewals...

10 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

What?

You're asking the police firearms licencing team for legal advice on lockdown legislation?

Why would they know about that?

Asking the police for legal advice is really not what they're there for, and a sure way to irritate them. 

Maybe, if fewer people emailed them with queries this, we'd get faster service on the things they're actually there for, I.e. grants and renewals...

I know that it was a little maverick,  but it needed to be done . I didn't actually ask them about lockdown legislation, I asked them about firearms legislation during lockdown . Fair play to them though , they were the only people that were honest enough to admit that they just didn't know .

Many people had theories and opinions ,and most of them were pure cack 😊.

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

It's time we got a grip lads we are moaning that we can't get a license or renewal, over 100,000 have lost their lives in the past 12 months, if it takes a year to get granted a license so be it. 

That’s great, normally it’s around 500,000 a year. 

If you’re talking 100,000 covid deaths, you can probably half that number for people who truly died OF covid...