Diary of my SGC grant

jan8p

Thought I would share an update incase any others find useful:

Spoke with Devon Cornwall & Dorset FEO today and they confirmed that the chief has given them the green light to resume home visits and grant processing. This resumed as of the 12th inline with the loosening of CV19 restrictions.

They are processing in received order and are picking up where things left off - which is applications from August 2020 onwards.

Hope this is useful.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend of mine has just applied for his renewal, as the police are now requesting a GP report from 6th April to be submitted by the applicant when they submit their renewal/application, he has now been asked by his GP to pay £150 for the form completion......he is not a happy boy.

1 hour ago, Pangolin said:

A friend of mine has just applied for his renewal, as the police are now requesting a GP report from 6th April to be submitted by the applicant when they submit their renewal/application, he has now been asked by his GP to pay £150 for the form completion......he is not a happy boy.

There will be more and more of this, we used to have some representative bodies to protect shooters, where did they all go?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheshire police still not accepting any new SGC applications, mate of mine has been waiting a year now, with no end in sight. Just get the generic ‘Covid made the computer say no’ reply when emailing. Complete joke really. Thought everybody had a legal RIGHT to own a shotgun? 

4 hours ago, TK421 said:

Cheshire police still not accepting any new SGC applications, mate of mine has been waiting a year now, with no end in sight. Just get the generic ‘Covid made the computer say no’ reply when emailing. Complete joke really. Thought everybody had a legal RIGHT to own a shotgun? 

Unless someone can explain otherwise, I dont understand how they use COVID as a reason for not processing them. It's not like the FEO is now out on the beat, policing social distancing in pub gardens etc.....

Edited by Pangolin

34 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Unless someone can explain otherwise, I dont understand how they use COVID as a reason for not processing them. It's not like the FEO is now out on the beat, policing social distancing in pub gardens etc.....

I’m guessing they are referring to the home visit part of the application? And inspection of safe etc?? Fk Knows 

25 minutes ago, clangerman said:

delays started once it become clear most of the work could be done via pc and phone this is not about covid it’s about saving their jobs 

Could be on to something there. However some of the more proactive forces I believe are using video conferences with new applicants. 
can you imagine how big the back log is going to be once they do eventually start processing applications again. 
don’t understand what they still can’t at least process the paper side of the application, gp letter etc, pre approve it based on checks  then make a visit once lock down is over? Total BS in my opinion  

very annoying to say the least

Edited by TK421

Durham are taking 9+ months for renewals and blaming Covid. 

Strange how the two other local forces (Northumbria and Cleveland) can still manage in 2-4 weeks.

Probably nothing at all to do with Durham having been in the worst 3 performing licensing departments for the last 2-3 years and the firearms depatment with the highest fall in performance.  Employing a lot of young barely or untrained staff who have a high turnover due to the low pay certainly isn't helping either.

My own certs run out at midnight tonight.  I sent in the renewal 1st December so 5 months early, I've already had the "we are giving you an 8 week extnsion" letter but realistically there's very little chance of getting them sorted by then.

Edited by phaedra1106

11 minutes ago, phaedra1106 said:

Durham are taking 9+ months for renewals and blaming Covid. 

Strange how the two other local forces (Northumbria and Cleveland) can still manage in 2-4 weeks.

Probably nothing at all to do with Durham having been in the worst 3 performing licensing departments for the last 2-3 years and the firearms depatment with the highest fall in performance.  Employing a lot of young barely or untrained staff who have a high turnover due to the low pay certainly isn't helping either.

They seem to live by the mantra "We're Durham, we do things differently"
(a phrase given to me word for word more than once by senior FLO staff)

Already have an official complaint in about them....and have followed that up with the Home Secretary earlier this month, as the priority with Durham is not being the administrative agent for the County Durham shooters of existing & approved legislation, but the inventing of new breaches in the Act, which are even counter to their own advice on the force website!!

I have a feeling that the rifle of mine which they unlawfully seized last Sept. has been destroyed...

Aside from that, they have blank refused to do at least two one-for-one variations in the time since, yet told other shooters "neighbouring forces are not doing variations..." Well, neither are Durham!
I did get written confirmation that the renewals I have in are within the legal time frame to allow my certs to remain valid for the new 8 weeks post-expiry date...

Edited by saddler

Would appear new applications is a big problem, just wish there was something that could get things moving for those that have been waiting, my mate for one has given up hope he will ever get it. Really not fair that they can control the right to own and enjoy a shotgun etc.. just standing behind the Covid excuse is total BS in my opinion. 

15 hours ago, TK421 said:

Could be on to something there. However some of the more proactive forces I believe are using video conferences with new applicants. 
can you imagine how big the back log is going to be once they do eventually start processing applications again. 
don’t understand what they still can’t at least process the paper side of the application, gp letter etc, pre approve it based on checks  then make a visit once lock down is over? Total BS in my opinion  

very annoying to say the least

I had my SGC interview over WhatsApp 

47 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

I had my SGC interview over WhatsApp 

was this for a new SGC? which force was it buddy as this is how they all should be doing it?

1 minute ago, mossy835 said:

my mate had his on the phone, simple how it can be done,

again, new SGC application ? which force? 

this could be so easily done, ****** with power some of these forces. 

47 minutes ago, TK421 said:

was this for a new SGC? which force was it buddy as this is how they all should be doing it?

again, new SGC application ? which force? 

this could be so easily done, ****** with power some of these forces. 

It was for a new SGC last year, West Mercia.

Literally just finished my FAC interview just now, this was a face to face visit as the FEO is local and the restrictions have lifted a bit but he said they aren't entering homes yet.