jan8p

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/08/2021 at 00:04, HantsRob said:

It is, and I am sorry yours took so long but made for great reading, I appreciated your story! Tell me though, is the last 2 weeks the hardest wait?! Argh! :D

I think so....when you know you've been 'approved' by the FEO and it's just a wait for the cert to arrive so you can go shopping.....torture!

I have myself a nice Browning 725 now though, and hitting around 20-25/50 on average at my local clay club, not too bad for a beginner I don't think!

My mate has been told his certificate is just waiting to be posted out. I’ve told him to expect it in 2-3 weeks and there may be further queries. The awful incident in Plymouth may well delay matters as I would guess that there may be firearms licensing implications (reviews/briefings etc) as forces look to prevent similar disasters. But that is certainly just a guess from me. 

On 13/08/2021 at 07:44, jan8p said:

I think so....when you know you've been 'approved' by the FEO and it's just a wait for the cert to arrive so you can go shopping.....torture!

I have myself a nice Browning 725 now though, and hitting around 20-25/50 on average at my local clay club, not too bad for a beginner I don't think!

Nice, I am battling between a silver pigeon 3, or a 525. The 725 is a nice gun! Also congrats on that score, for a beginner I think that's ace!

On 13/08/2021 at 07:49, WalkedUp said:

The awful incident in Plymouth may well delay matters 

That is currently on my mind. I would hope pragmatically they will continue as-is until the college of policing change any rules. Ultimately the law is there stating you are entitled to a shotgun unless of xyz. Lets hope that doesn't change. Or, that there's a freeze on all new licences..... 

The incident was horrible, my heart goes out to all those affected including the FEO. 

12 hours ago, HantsRob said:

The incident was horrible, my heart goes out to all those affected including the FEO. 

That is a good point I had overlooked, the FEO has made an error in work and given someone the benefit of the doubt, with disastrous consequences. My friend’s FAC & SGC grants were relieved Friday, fingers crossed yours is as efficient. 

On 13/08/2021 at 07:44, jan8p said:

I shot my potential 525 purchase today. 21/50. I was disheartened but remembered your score, and also the old boys I was with didn't get above 36, so I took sympathy in that!

Lets not discuss the skeet score though! So much fun, but gosh.... eek!

• 2 weeks later...

In my case Leicestershire police confirmed payment of fee for shotgun only grant application on 23/6/21.

Total time to date is slightly over two months, BASC chart for 2020 says Leicestershire are taking on average 109 days to process new grants but two phone calls to the firearms dep't requesting an update revealed very little info other than a confirmation of receiving my application and a declaration that the system is backlogged.

However, they did confirm that my application had been moved to the "pile" for home visit but that they intended to clear the backlog of "renewals" before further processing my application, no timescale was offered as to when they envisaged completing this.

As they have stated that my application is in the FAO's home visit pile, I am presuming (rightly or wrongly) that my background/medical/referee checks have been completed satisfactorily in order for my application to reach the home visit stage, but god only knows how much longer it will take, the lack of feedback is appalling considering they have taken a fee for their services.

I note that it appears Covid-19 did not cause any backlog whatsoever in their ability to accept payment, they achieved this almost immediately.      

On 26/04/2021 at 09:26, mossy835 said:

my mate had his on the phone, simple how it can be done,

I had mine over the phone with no physical check to cabinet etc. Im in NI too so for shotgun is the same as FAC application. Friend applied for .17HMR, had a physical cabinet check within 5weeks, now 16 weeks later no sign of anything, just the generic 'Covid' excuse.

21 hours ago, Tonka54 said:

In my case Leicestershire police confirmed payment of fee for shotgun only grant application on 23/6/21.

Total time to date is slightly over two months, BASC chart for 2020 says Leicestershire are taking on average 109 days to process new grants but two phone calls to the firearms dep't requesting an update revealed very little info other than a confirmation of receiving my application and a declaration that the system is backlogged.

However, they did confirm that my application had been moved to the "pile" for home visit but that they intended to clear the backlog of "renewals" before further processing my application, no timescale was offered as to when they envisaged completing this.

As they have stated that my application is in the FAO's home visit pile, I am presuming (rightly or wrongly) that my background/medical/referee checks have been completed satisfactorily in order for my application to reach the home visit stage, but god only knows how much longer it will take, the lack of feedback is appalling considering they have taken a fee for their services.

I note that it appears Covid-19 did not cause any backlog whatsoever in their ability to accept payment, they achieved this almost immediately.      

I sent mine into gwent police September 2020 and have my home visit this week. its been a long wait. 

However i have seen other areas working though them really quickly, hopefully you wont have a long wait if its already with the FEO

16 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Week 4 after my home visit and I'm still staring at the letterbox 😞

Have they given you any indication how long it would take? For me the longest wait was after the visit. It took around 3-4 months after the visit for my cert to turn up a few years ago.

23 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

Have they given you any indication how long it would take? For me the longest wait was after the visit. It took around 3-4 months after the visit for my cert to turn up a few years ago.

I have chased twice, the second reply was a very polite but blunt "it's in a pile for final signoff, yours will be addressed in turn". It was also clear not to chase again as nothing can actually be chased at this point, as it's just final managerial signoff. 

It is possible they're prioritising renewals. It is possible they just have 500 in a pile and they're being more thorough recently. I don't know, and they don't share why.

I was always told 2-3 weeks from a home visit, so I guess I can take solace in knowing yours was months, so I don't check the post so eagerly every day! 

2 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I have chased twice, the second reply was a very polite but blunt "it's in a pile for final signoff, yours will be addressed in turn". It was also clear not to chase again as nothing can actually be chased at this point, as it's just final managerial signoff. 

It is possible they're prioritising renewals. It is possible they just have 500 in a pile and they're being more thorough recently. I don't know, and they don't share why.

I was always told 2-3 weeks from a home visit, so I guess I can take solace in knowing yours was months, so I don't check the post so eagerly every day! 

Please remember there’s plenty in the pile that need it

there’s renewals both firearms and shotguns applications from student game keepers /pest controllers /yatch clubs /slaughter-men /vets the list goes on all in my opinion better than 

because I want to go clay shooting you would be at the bottom of my pile 

appreciate it is frustrating waiting but to be honest I have found Hampshire very good and efficient also extremely thorough with all the checks and follow up with referees  

every time that you phone and have a conversation it’ll be one less coming of the piles 

At one time I thought I would like there job I’m not so sure now 

ps 

hope you don’t have to wait to long 

Hi, thankyou OF for the balanced reply! :)

I am aware of the need of renewals before they run out and the business requirements trumping social. I mostly agree also, the only reservation being the argument of both paying for the same service. But I do get it, I promise. 

The only reason I chased is because on the visit I was told it is typically 2 weeks for issue, and if it gets to a month then to call to check that it hadn't been lost in the post. The second chase was 4 days after the first as I had a funny 5 minutes with outlook and wasn't sure if it had sent properly.

So, being told it'll be reviewed in turn, I am now being quiet and trying super hard to wait patiently on the outside! (daily post check is still super exciting and disappointing!)

Thankyou for your postscript also, very kind!

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

I am aware of the need of renewals before they run out and the business requirements trumping social. I mostly agree also, the only reservation being the argument of both paying for the same service. But I do get it, I promise. 

The only reason I chased is because on the visit I was told it is typically 2 weeks for issue, and if it gets to a month then to call to check that it hadn't been lost in the post. The second chase was 4 days after the first as I had a funny 5 minutes with outlook and wasn't sure if it had sent properly.

So, being told it'll be reviewed in turn, I am now being quiet and trying super hard to wait patiently on the outside! (daily post check is still super exciting and disappointing!)

One day this will all be a distant memory and you’ll be reading other trials and tribulations of the hunt for their own  new SGC. It will happen and then you’ll be spending lots of money on this hobby, careful what you wish for buddy. Only joking, it won’t be long and you’ll be enjoying this fabulous sport in no time at all. 
welcome aboard 

next question, how to hit loopers 😉👍

Edited by TK421

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Not a problem let us know when it drops on the mat

Update to my Aug 29th post, subject to a conversation with Leicestershire firearms on 9/9/21, there is no change to the situation and they are still dealing with the renewals backlog.

They again explained that Leicestershire have one of the biggest demands for shotgun and firearms licencing and that, in my case, it is still likely to be months rather than weeks before I am contacted by them.

I have decided that my best option at the moment is to seek a licenced shooting buddy at my club and fall in with their practice sessions, at least I will get a bit of practice myself and will still remember which is the business end of the shotgun when I do get my licence.

1 minute ago, HantsRob said:

Tonka, it is very much this way in Hampshire also. I am biting my tongue, not chasing, and holding off and trying to find someone to shoot with.

I wonder if and when the backlog will ever catch up.....

The cynic in me believes that there will never not be a backlog.

If that particular department ever came to be in a position where they were caught up and on top of everything then they would open themselves up to further cuts in staffing and budget. 

It's in their own interest to be constantly under the cosh or to be seen to be constantly under the cosh. 

There will always be something that can be blamed for putting them under pressure. The last two years have been covid. Previous to that it would have likely been budget and staff reductions. Now it's moving onto 'unprecedented number of applications' type excuse. Shortly it will be the additional social media checks and monitoring required that will be the excuse. 

Why do you think biting your tongue is the way?  Why do you want to accept a sub par public service?

I wouldn't say I pestered my force, but during the "backlog" period before anything meaningful happened, I made my thoughts on their performance known, and asked for an update once per month.  It did not speed up the process, which wasn't the intention, but I was contacted by senior management in the department to explain the reasons behind the delays and that they always take feedback onboard, so they do listen to you.

Edited by jan8p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 18:08, Tonka54 said:

Update to my Aug 29th post, subject to a conversation with Leicestershire firearms on 9/9/21, there is no change to the situation and they are still dealing with the renewals backlog.

They again explained that Leicestershire have one of the biggest demands for shotgun and firearms licencing and that, in my case, it is still likely to be months rather than weeks before I am contacted by them.

I have decided that my best option at the moment is to seek a licenced shooting buddy at my club and fall in with their practice sessions, at least I will get a bit of practice myself and will still remember which is the business end of the shotgun when I do get my licence.

Finally!!!  FEO's Visit planned for 1/10/21 , At last, light at the end of the tunnel.

200w.webp

photo-1576610981602-438b2860eb77.jpg

Edited by Tonka54