Diary of my SGC grant

jan8p

18 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

How did it go? About an hour, cabinet shake, and a promise they'll process when they can?

I'm "only" 3.5 months in, 10 weeks or so since home visit and I'm trying to be patient. 

Yeah OK I think, Female FEO, quick run through of my general property security, gave the cabinet a good tug, bit of a discussion about why I needed a shotgun licence and that was about it, she did say that it would be about 2 to 3 weeks before it lands on my doorstep, but at least I can make a few plans now.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Application history for new license in Cambridge area

Application sent - 04/06/21
Application opened / Interview arranged - 29/07/21
Online payment requested - 13/09/21
Interview held - 21/09/21

Was told I should receive License within 14 days (I forgot to ask if this is 14 calendar days or 14 working days)
Watching the postman like a hawk!

Edited by George88

• 2 weeks later...

yippi, Feeling like a dog with two d***s,  I got my cert, finally landed on the doormat today 15/6/21.

So for Leicestershire the average process time is now 112 days for new grants, that's not to say it will be the same for all applications though, just a general rule of thumb.

Once visit was completed it took 15 days to issue cert. Collected guns from Orston g/c and salted them away in my cabinet, now I can't wait for Sunday so I can get out there.😁

6 hours ago, George88 said:

A good friend is offering to long-term loan me his B525 as its just sitting in his cabinet, and has done for the past few years.

Budget is smallish to begin so i'm eyeing up a ATA SP but i'm also tempted to buy an A612W as something a bit different.

Now't wrong with the Turkish guns George, they make good starters, However, a bit like new cars , they lose most of their resale value the moment you walk out the gun shop door.

I would suggest you make a quick cheeky offer to your mate for the 525, they are great guns and you cannot go wrong with a Browning. As you say, if it's been in his cabinet gathering dust for a while he may well be willing to strike some kind of deal. Well worth a try.

13 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Now't wrong with the Turkish guns George, they make good starters, However, a bit like new cars , they lose most of their resale value the moment you walk out the gun shop door.

I would suggest you make a quick cheeky offer to your mate for the 525, they are great guns and you cannot go wrong with a Browning. As you say, if it's been in his cabinet gathering dust for a while he may well be willing to strike some kind of deal. Well worth a try.

Local shooting ground has a fleet of ATA Sporters as club guns. Owner reckons they must have fired about 10000 - 15000 cartridges each since new and apart from a few marks on the wood from careless stag party goers they look as new.

Cleaned once a month if they are lucky so they are definitely living a hard life.

I learned to shoot with one of them and if it weren't for my short arms I would have bought one to start off with.

9 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Local shooting ground has a fleet of ATA Sporters as club guns. Owner reckons they must have fired about 10000 - 15000 cartridges each since new and apart from a few marks on the wood from careless stag party goers they look as new.

Yeah, I would think this is the case for most shooting clubs/schools at present. 

For quite a while the loan gun of choice was the "Silver Pigeon", but as you say, loan guns tend to live a hard life so a good quality, cheaper alternative makes a lot of sense.

2 hours ago, Wiltspaniel said:

Wiltshire application history

Application sent off and money taken 8/3/21

Heard nothing since, except replies to the 3 chasing emails that I have sent ,including one telephone call, explaining that they were still running behind due to COVID! 

Patience is wearing very thin!

All you can do is ask around for a shooting buddy at your club, if your in one of course.  ask for a loan gun from the club or if your club has a gun shop buy a cheap starter gun and ask for it to be kept in their armoury, only other option is if your shooting buddy has room for a gun in his cabinet till you get your cert.

This is the way I went about it, at least you can get out for a bit of practice and the time passes just a little quicker.

18 hours ago, Wiltspaniel said:

Wiltshire application history

Application sent off and money taken 8/3/21

Heard nothing since, except replies to the 3 chasing emails that I have sent ,including one telephone call, explaining that they were still running behind due to COVID! 

Patience is wearing very thin!

Gwent Police Application History

Application sent - 18/09/20
Payment taken - 20/9/20 

Interview arranged - 23/09/21
Interview held - 30/09/21

Still waiting for the certificate to be delivered

Total days so far 397... 

Edited by Sion2981

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 22:05, HantsRob said:

How did it go? About an hour, cabinet shake, and a promise they'll process when they can?

I'm "only" 3.5 months in, 10 weeks or so since home visit and I'm trying to be patient. 

I'm interested to hear how quickly your home visit was scheduled after making your application? I made mine last week, wondering when the interview might be.

On 31/10/2021 at 20:31, Pops_Hants said:

I'm interested to hear how quickly your home visit was scheduled after making your application? I made mine last week, wondering when the interview might be.

Hullo

It was relatively quick. The home visit was less than a month, but still waiting now. There's a small admin thing I'm sorting otherwise I'd have expected to have it by now. 

I'm not sure if it was because I applied when they re-opened the books that I was so soon or just an opportune slot when the FEO was in the area. From all the posts here it's typically nearer the end of the process, but not for me.