Diary of my SGC grant

jan8p

1 hour ago, Sion2981 said:

Finally got my licence last week and was able to go and collect my new gun, i went for a Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent 

It took 419 days in total im glad the wait is finally over

I bet you are, I was totally p***ed that it took mine 112 days, so I can only imagine how you felt about 419 days.

It's all over now though Sion so get out there and have some fun, Pleased for you buddy enjoy😁

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

I bet you are, I was totally p***ed that it took mine 112 days, so I can only imagine how you felt about 419 days.

It's all over now though Sion so get out there and have some fun, Pleased for you buddy enjoy😁

cheers @Tonka54 when your waiting its really hard even if its 100 days or 400 we all just want to get out and have fun and cant do anything about it, however, now the wait is over iv been at the ground most days spending way to much money lol

• 1 month later...

Almost 8 weeks into my application (54 days) with Hampshire Constabulary. I wasn't really noticing the wait too much until I recently went to Chalky Hill and it's reignited the excitement and sporting aspect.

I know my reference hasn't been contact either, I expect admin wouldn't been slowing down from last week until the new year, but hopeful to hear some progress soon!

24 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Almost 8 weeks into my application (54 days) with Hampshire Constabulary. I wasn't really noticing the wait too much until I recently went to Chalky Hill and it's reignited the excitement and sporting aspect.

I know my reference hasn't been contact either, I expect admin wouldn't been slowing down from last week until the new year, but hopeful to hear some progress soon!

Yep, I feel for you Pops, Perhaps another member that's had their grant/renewal processed by Hampshire can give you a clue about the time scale.

As previously posted mine, through Leicestershire took 119 days, but each authority is different. Just have to hang in there bud, it will happen eventually. Not much of a consolation I know but at least it's the winter period now so after boxing day you won't be missing out on to much. 

1 hour ago, Tonka54 said:

Yep, I feel for you Pops, Perhaps another member that's had their grant/renewal processed by Hampshire can give you a clue about the time scale.

As previously posted mine, through Leicestershire took 119 days, but each authority is different. Just have to hang in there bud, it will happen eventually. Not much of a consolation I know but at least it's the winter period now so after boxing day you won't be missing out on to much. 

Thanks Tonka, 

I had read Robs experience, his was about 4 1/2 months, although had interview pretty quickly. Hampshire was quoted as one of the more reasonable waiting times according Shooting UK, however that was published pre covid, so all bets are off I think. I'm lucky that I have some friends with SGC's so I can go with them. It's fun, but not quite the same as I think everyone understands.

1 hour ago, Lurch003 said:

Just to big up the Devon & Cornwall dept

Applied 1/8/20 for FAC/SGC

Heard diddly squat since... They confirm they received, that's all

Phwoar, that's some waiting time! Does the FAC take longer compared to an SGC? Whilst I am all for the regulations, and a reasonable waiting time (stops the impulsive nature of the sport), there does come a point where it just seems to be over complicated.

7 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Thanks Tonka, 

I had read Robs experience, his was about 4 1/2 months, although had interview pretty quickly. Hampshire was quoted as one of the more reasonable waiting times according Shooting UK, however that was published pre covid, so all bets are off I think. I'm lucky that I have some friends with SGC's so I can go with them. It's fun, but not quite the same as I think everyone understands.

Phwoar, that's some waiting time! Does the FAC take longer compared to an SGC? Whilst I am all for the regulations, and a reasonable waiting time (stops the impulsive nature of the sport), there does come a point where it just seems to be over complicated.

Bad news I’m afraid renewal’s only at the moment 

new grants suspended 

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Bad news I’m afraid renewal’s only at the moment 

new grants suspended 

Oh dear, 

Do we know the reasons why? I assume Covid of course, but is it a reduced workforce or some other reasoning behind it?

I had read on Hampshire's website that they recommend not applying until Feb if you do not already have your doctors certificate as surgeries are prioritising booster jabs, but I got mine back in October, well before Omicron was even a thing.

Just got a reply from Hants after emailing to check on it, 

"We do have your application here, and discussions are currently ongoing with management as to handle the situation because, as a force, we are trying to reduce the need for home visits. Certainly no home visits for grant applications will be carried out in December and we will be in touch shortly about how we will be dealing with applications such as yours, which are waiting for a visit."

Seems odd if I am honest, I understand covid etc but if they're trying to reduce home visits ongoing, then I'm a bit confused.

5 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Just got a reply from Hants after emailing to check on it, 

"We do have your application here, and discussions are currently ongoing with management as to handle the situation because, as a force, we are trying to reduce the need for home visits. Certainly no home visits for grant applications will be carried out in December and we will be in touch shortly about how we will be dealing with applications such as yours, which are waiting for a visit."

Seems odd if I am honest, I understand covid etc but if they're trying to reduce home visits ongoing, then I'm a bit confused.

Well best not to waste energy trying to work out there planning 

hopefully they will go to video conference and be able to do a face to face interview online 

which part of Hampshire are you in ?

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Well best not to waste energy trying to work out there planning 

hopefully they will go to video conference and be able to do a face to face interview online 

which part of Hampshire are you in ?

Indeed, I'd heard video conference was used during the lockdown / no household mixing period so potentially a way forwards.

I'm based in Portsmouth

20 hours ago, Pops_Hants said:

Thanks Tonka, 

I can only guess it was utilising an FEO in the area and had scope for a visit. There were some hurdles also so mine was a touch longer than normal, and I heard that when asked a month or so ago that HantsPol were saying the average wait time was 110 days. The new issue of home visits does delay, however the usual adage of "all the checks should have been done by then" will hopefully count in your favour, if they've done everything else and that's all that remains minus final rubber stamp. Good luck!

You are right though, it's not the same borrowing a gun.

19 hours ago, jan8p said:

Interesting how all of these experiences are getting worse, rather than better.  The COVID excuse lives on.....despite it being nearly 2 years ago since it started!

To be fair though, as an organisation such as the Police they have to be seen as obeying the rules and laws about minimal unnecessary contact, and a home visit for a sport would probably be excluded from essential.

I hope they are still allowing new grants for those that need it for work.

That all said, after 2 years it's frustrating to say the least. It's only annoying til someone passes on an infection though. Also, agreed on experiences going downhill!

56 days into my grant application and I receive an email this morning, 

"Dear applicant

I am sorry to inform you that your grant application has been returned and refunded as we have currently suspended the grant application process. I know that you will be disappointed with this decision, however the Chief Constable has taken this approach in order to support our NHS colleagues, who are participating in the Omicron Emergency Boost programme."

I've been advised I can re-apply with my original GP's signed off medical information providing it is not >8 months old. Disappointed and somewhat fed up, but there's bigger things to worry about so will just re-apply when it opens again.

Just now, Pops_Hants said:

56 days into my grant application and I receive an email this morning, 

"Dear applicant

I am sorry to inform you that your grant application has been returned and refunded as we have currently suspended the grant application process. I know that you will be disappointed with this decision, however the Chief Constable has taken this approach in order to support our NHS colleagues, who are participating in the Omicron Emergency Boost programme."

I've been advised I can re-apply with my original GP's signed off medical information providing it is not >8 months old. Disappointed and somewhat fed up, but there's bigger things to worry about so will just re-apply when it opens again.

How does that help the NHS colleagues?

2 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Hey Pops

Just out of interest, did your GP complete the old info request or the newer more stringent one (since Plymouth)?

1 minute ago, Lurch003 said:

Hey Pops

Just out of interest, did your GP complete the old info request or the newer more stringent one (since Plymouth)?

Hiya, 

New one mate, I had my GP complete it at the end of October.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think that's a bit of bumf rather than actual fact. It goes on to say about reduced home visits, how transmissible omicron is etc etc.

3 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Hiya, 

New one mate, I had my GP complete it at the end of October.

I think that's a bit of bumf rather than actual fact. It goes on to say about reduced home visits, how transmissible omicron is etc etc.

That's cool, hopefully will all settle down in the not too distant.

I only ask because my GP sent all info back in June and noted "FAC holder" on my medical record. Chased FEO and finally got answer this week that because the new checks were introduced, my GP needs to do it all again before my application goes any further!!!

You couldn't make it up 😞

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The thought process is that doctors and surgeries can focus on getting as many people through the vaccination program, either booster or 1st and 2nd, and to focus on that. 

Whilst I appreciate it won't be the GPs, the admin team will still have to do most of the handling of the SGC doctors form, and this takes away their capacity to service vaccinations. Therefore, by suspending it should allow all surgeries to focus on the bigger picture.

That answers your question, but sadly as Pops already had it signed, it seems irrational and unfair. But, as it's a blanket suspension of new grants, it needs to be fair to all levels of those in flight. It should also mean the firearms team have a chance to clear backlogs where they can't do house visits and what not, so in theory should have better resourcing when they open again for new grants.

Pops - I feel your pain. I'm sorry to read your news! If you fancy a shoot in the new year and don't mind meeting halfway somewhere, then give me a nudge :)

2 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Pops - I feel your pain. I'm sorry to read your news! If you fancy a shoot in the new year and don't mind meeting halfway somewhere, then give me a nudge :)

Thanks Rob, 

That's really kind of you. I'm lucky that I have a local friend who shoots so I'm already going to Chalky Hill on the 2nd Jan - if you're free then pop along and say hi, you'll have someone who can button for you at least!

After that, I'm allowed to rent and walk on my own around Chalky, so looks like I'll be doing that for the foreseeable!

• 1 month later...

Thought I would post my experience below for Cheshire police.

Applied - 15th October. Paid £60 for GP’s letter, which was required to be submitted with the application.

FEO visit - 29th January.

Certificate received - Today, 14th February.

I was very pleased with the whole process, to be honest. 4 months for a new application seemed very reasonable too.

14 minutes ago, Genghis said:

Thought I would post my experience below for Cheshire police.

Applied - 15th October. Paid £60 for GP’s letter, which was required to be submitted with the application.

FEO visit - 29th January.

Certificate received - Today, 14th February.

I was very pleased with the whole process, to be honest. 4 months for a new application seemed very reasonable too.

VERY REASONABLE?!! More like magic !!!