Diary of my SGC grant

jan8p

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I too found this very odd. How would they know that someone who you has seen you handling a gun was competent enough to make that judgement? What if you had never handled a shotgun?

It’s another hoop 

who tests the testers? 
there’s another money making course coming along 🙁

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Kojak_79 said:

Certs turned up today. 50 weeks from application. And they forgot to put an ammo allowance on so got to go back tomorrow to pick up new certs

Ouch.

Only 2 weeks since my FEO visit, guess I might be waiting a while.  They said they had over 50 applications at the same stage as mine, so who knows how long it will take them to get to mine.

1 hour ago, jan8p said:

SGC has arrived, 8 months!

Now time to join my friends and enjoy some clays 👍

/thread

Just in time for the next lock down! 😂 just kidding. Happy days and welcome to the club. 
we’ll expect a ‘my first gun’ post soon 😉

12 hours ago, jan8p said:

Gun has been purchased and I've been for my first round of Sporting with it, Browning 725 👍

Good to hear that your ticket finally came through! That first 1000 cartridges you picked up with the gun lasts about 10 minutes.

You'll soon be trawling the web and local shops for a supply of dirt cheap cartridges.

If your local ground is plastic wad friendly then Caledonian cartridges sell a steel shot clay cartridge for £48 per 250 with £5 delivery per slab. Cheap enough and convenient. 

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

Good to hear that your ticket finally came through! That first 1000 cartridges you picked up with the gun lasts about 10 minutes.

You'll soon be trawling the web and local shops for a supply of dirt cheap cartridges.

If your local ground is plastic wad friendly then Caledonian cartridges sell a steel shot clay cartridge for £48 per 250 with £5 delivery per slab. Cheap enough and convenient. 

You're not wrong, used about 100 in one evening. Could have used more easily.

Local ground is plastic friendly, but not steel friendly.  Cartridges I have are Gamebore Velocity+ fibre which at full price at the shop are £220/thousand, I paid less as I got the gun at the same time.  I will be buying fibre I think as I like going to Thimbleby which is fibre only!

17 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

What's the reason behind not allowing steel shot?

Denmark has been lead free since 1996, and have had zero issues with steel shot. More benefits if anything.

I asked that question at park lodge and “ricochet” was the response.

1 hour ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

What's the reason behind not allowing steel shot?

Denmark has been lead free since 1996, and have had zero issues with steel shot. More benefits if anything.

Not sure, haven't asked to be honest. It's in a small quarry with a rock face wall and boulders kicking around, so I can only assume ricochet is the reason as per above poster!

5 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I asked that question at park lodge and “ricochet” was the response.

A ricochet risk would also apply to lead though, surely? I know it would be to a lesser extent.

Couldn't the course setter account for the risk when arranging the targets and archs of fire? I'm led to believe that steel has a much more predictable ricochet, and there shouldn't much to ricochet off at places such as Park Lodge.

3 hours ago, jan8p said:

It's in a small quarry with a rock face wall and boulders kicking around, so I can only assume ricochet is the reason as per above poster!

I hadn't thought of shooting in a quarry, I admit. That would obviously complicate things.

But again, there is still a risk of ricochet with lead. I haven't shot at a ground that uses an old quarry (that I remember), so I am unaware of how it would be set up.

I've followed this thread with some excitement, so thought I'd add my Hampshire experience.

Applied 21st June when they re-opened
Home visit middle of last week
Hoping for 2-3 weeks for some lovely post to land. 

I must say the Hampshire FEO was really nice, did the usual questions and cabinet shake. All in all looking for an 8 week turnaround, which is fantastic! Smooth online application process and so far no dramas.....

Now I'm itching to go and have some fun without needing a chaperone! :D 

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

I've followed this thread with some excitement, so thought I'd add my Hampshire experience.

I must say the Hampshire FEO was really nice, did the usual questions and cabinet shake. All in all looking for an 8 week turnaround, which is fantastic! Smooth online application process and so far no dramas.....

Now I'm itching to go and have some fun without needing a chaperone!  

wow thats a good turn around, i have been waiting since September 2020 to get my interview with gwent police

They told me they are still working though the backlog 

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Now I'm itching to go and have some fun without needing a chaperone!  

That sounds like a positive story, be great if you get it in the next couple of weeks while we still have good weather to enjoy it!

14 hours ago, Sion2981 said:

wow thats a good turn around, i have been waiting since September 2020 to get my interview with gwent police

They told me they are still working though the backlog 

Hampshire closed to new applications for lockdown and I applied on day 1. I can only assume I was near top of the pile as I had my doctors note ready and submitted in a one'er. The year and change must have allowed them to catch up on renewals etc, but I am grateful! :)

14 hours ago, jan8p said:

That sounds like a positive story, be great if you get it in the next couple of weeks while we still have good weather to enjoy it!

It is, and I am sorry yours took so long but made for great reading, I appreciated your story! Tell me though, is the last 2 weeks the hardest wait?! Argh! :D

On 03/08/2021 at 09:20, Poor Shot said:

Oh, do tell.  Where from?

2 hours ago, Robden said:

Oh, do tell.  Where from?

Unfortunately nowhere as of last week. Another victim of the cartridge price hike. They went from £48.25 per slab to £72.50 overnight.

Caledonian are owned by Eley Hawk so it was only a matter of time before the greed spread and prices shot up. 

Even their base level clay club cartridges rose from £50 per slab to just over £60 per slab. 

I've about 900 or 4 week's worth of the steel cartridges left and then I'll be on the lookout for another budget supplier.

9 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Hampshire closed to new applications for lockdown and I applied on day 1. I can only assume I was near top of the pile as I had my doctors note ready and submitted in a one'er. The year and change must have allowed them to catch up on renewals etc, but I am grateful! :)

That Makes Sense, i did the same and sent in the application with the completed Med Cert but i dont think gwent closed for new applications so they were just building up. and im down the list as i didnt send it in until September. 

Just hoping i can get it some time this year and get out shooting regularly.