jan8p

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kojak_79 said:

Finally got me interview on Tuesday for fac. Applied in August.

Christ, which county?

I went back and checked, I applied for FAC on 23rd March 2021, had my interview 26th April 2021. The FEO is now sorting the paperwork.

At least you have an interview now.

4 hours ago, phaedra1106 said:

Saddler, Durham are doing variations, two of my club members have recently had them done in under a week.

In the last month alone threee club members have received section 7's after the 8 week extension expired.

Under a week is pretty good. I wonder if they've started to get on top of things if a variation can be done in a normal timescale.

I've sent off a chaser for my SGC, see what response I get.

16 hours ago, TK421 said:

Cheshire force have shut down the phone lines so you can’t even contact them. Disgraceful really.

This is nuts really, they aren't only there to process grants and renewals.  They are they to answer any queries you have about safe storage, usage, legalities of weapons/licenses, etc, and for them not to make themselves available is terrible.

I chased SWP about 3 weeks ago and was told that they had resumed home visits in line with the releasing of lockdown restrictions in Wales.

Still haven't heard a peep out of them regarding a home visit. My application was in the post the morning that they resumed applications following the first COVID lockdown last year.

Must getting on for 10 months since my application.

Can't call and speak to someone about it as the phone lines are set to a pre-recorded reply blaming C19 for them not being able to man the lines. Emails get generic 'computer says COVID' type responses.

At work, the office phones are set to redirect to mobiles provided to those whose job it is to answer phones in the office while they are WFH. I've conducted many interviews for potential employees via zoom and Google hangouts over the last few months. I don't see why the firearms dept can't also do this? Seems to me that they can but don't want to.

Edited by Poor Shot

Don't hold your breath :)

Mine is just a renewal, given what other members of my club have experienced I'm not expecting it within the 8 week extension but to run into having to get a section 7 extension as well.  So probaly lucky to see it before September.

They visited me at the end of last year, that was for a very simple change of name on the club FAC I submitted in the April when I became club secretary, even that took over 6 months!.

Edited by phaedra1106

Finally had an update from the FAO regarding a home visit. She's coming around on Tuesday morning.

Any idea what they are going to ask or want to see? Cabinet is fully setup (has been since August last year) and contains my airguns at the moment. Would I be best relocating these for the visit?

1 hour ago, vmaxphil said:

No shows you take security seriously

Leave 'em in there.  Pretty sure my FEO liked that.

On 29/04/2021 at 22:33, Poor Shot said:

I've conducted many interviews for potential employees via zoom and Google hangouts over the last few months. I don't see why the firearms dept can't also do this? Seems to me that they can but don't want to.

At risk of making myself unpopular, I can understand why they're not using zoom/teams/whatever for initial applications.

FEO's, in my force area at least, are former front line officers on the down-slope to their retirement.  They bring with them considerable experience of policing.  The whole point of a face to face interview is so he can subject you to his considerable coppering instincts and work out if something is amiss, or if you don't 'smell right' before he recommends to his boss that you be allowed an SGC.   Doing this virtually would put him at a considerable disadvantage.

That said, there's no reason not to use technology for renewals/variations, SGC holder applying for FAC, etc.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Leave 'em in there.  Pretty sure my FEO liked that.

At risk of making myself unpopular, I can understand why they're not using zoom/teams/whatever for initial applications.

FEO's, in my force area at least, are former front line officers on the down-slope to their retirement.  They bring with them considerable experience of policing.  The whole point of a face to face interview is so he can subject you to his considerable coppering instincts and work out if something is amiss, or if you don't 'smell right' before he recommends to his boss that you be allowed an SGC.   Doing this virtually would put him at a considerable disadvantage.

That said, there's no reason not to use technology for renewals/variations, SGC holder applying for FAC, etc.

I think the issue for new applications is the use of ‘COVID’ for simply bad service, or lack thereof. The online application, GP letter, background check, installation of cabinet could all be done without any visits. As mentioned Cheshire police shut their phone lines down, for must be a year now, and standard default email replies quoting Covid as a reason for no applications, I think this is simply unreasonable when other forces are still actively processing applications without issue. There obviously has to be some considerations for this, but, I’d say, if you’re allowed to visit a garden Center, having an SGC application processed, which is your given right to have should be plausible with a little bit of common sense ( face mask, PPE, social distanced outside in your garden meeting) or whatever. Good old coppering still applies in every scenario and should be.
boils my Pss that these applications have been halted, and this comes from someone that is a licence holder. 

Edited by TK421

Had a reminder for my SGC, which expires the middle of September, which I thought was a bit early. sat in it for a couple of weeks, until last week. I sent in a request to Medcert, to obtain the necessary medical opinion. Assuming a junior delay - my GP Practice is not the best for punctuality - I should have the paperwork to hand by the middle of June, leaving at least 12 weeks for GMP to process - they ask for 8 weeks. 

Cheshire opened for business again late last night, well, they sort of have, you click apply for new grant then get a 503 error page lol. but still an improvement on 'no license due to Covid 19'

Also giving and estimate of 18 weeks for new applications ??  but you have to have the GP letter in within 7 days of application?? good luck with getting any GP to get that done within 7 days at the minute with the vaccine roll out. takes the **** really.  Cheshire shut down for over a year, then state 7 days for GP letter.. and breathe 

On 30/04/2021 at 10:59, jan8p said:

Had a response to my chaser, they are currently processing apps from end of Nov, mine was start of December, so hopefully only a week or so till some progress!

Just had a chat with one of my club members, he rang them yesterday and was told they were just starting on those from the beginning of November!

So God only knows what they're actually doing!.

2 hours ago, jan8p said:

Another update today, my background checks are almost done and then the FEO will be in touch for a visit.

Hurrah!

Pleased for you pal, well I’m not really, but I would be if mine had gone through. 
I've followed your diary with interest, as I’m in a similar boat. I submitted in October and have heard nothing, nada, zilch.

Had a couple of generic replies “we're busy, give it a rest” type of things, but that’s it.

GMP aren’t in any rush it would seem.