Diary of my SGC grant

jan8p

28 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

Pleased for you pal, well I’m not really, but I would be if mine had gone through. 
I've followed your diary with interest, as I’m in a similar boat. I submitted in October and have heard nothing, nada, zilch.

Had a couple of generic replies “we're busy, give it a rest” type of things, but that’s it.

GMP aren’t in any rush it would seem.

Haha, I'd be the same! It'll happen though, but the wait is tough. Not that mine is actually guaranteed soon, who knows how long an FEO appointment will be, or how long the certificate after that....I'm just pleased there's some traction and it's not just stuck in a pile.

Glad you find the diary useful, obviously every force is different but hopefully seeing the process in my force will be helpful to people.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update from Dorset & Devon:

They have changed the response/info on their webpage - which to summarise basically says "be quiet and wait, stop contacting us for updates" - charming, thanks lads. They've removed their phone number now too. - so all you can do is email.

Really bored of this rubbish now. Hope we all get to put this thread to bed one day and things pickup!

My pal applied after multiple attempts on Cheshire site, after completing it stated please follow up with gp letter within 7 days. Contacted his GP, paid the GP was told they would do it as quick as possible. Then got a call from FEO the same day, saying where is your GP letter with your online application? He explained that as was stated on the Cheshire application website it would be emailed as requested within 7 days. FEO said, sorry, that’s no good, we will refund you you’ll have to fill it out and apply again ONCE you have the GP letter in hand and to submit it all at the same time? ***. You couldn’t make this **** up. 

Week and a half since they said they'd mostly done my background checks, still no FEO contact...

I'm now at that awkward moment of wondering how long to leave it before I chase again.  Once every month seems a bit long to leave it given they are doing my background checks...

1 hour ago, jan8p said:

I don't like paying £80 for a service that may be delivered when they feel like it, so not quite comparable, is it? 😊

I think that in these extraordinary times, when essential services and many businesses have all but been shut down, to constantly witter on about having to wait to take up a hobby is a little rich.

6 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

I think that in these extraordinary times, when essential services and many businesses have all but been shut down, to constantly witter on about having to wait to take up a hobby is a little rich.

Not just a hobby for some though and its not like the FEOs are out on the beat policing pub goers in the beer garden.

They should get the cert back to them in good time, covid isnt an excuse especially as we are less than a month away from potentially have restrictions lifted.

Edited by Pangolin

2 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Not just a hobby for some though and its not like the FEOs are out on the beat policing pub goers in the beer garden.

They should get the cert back to them in good time, covid isnt an excuse especially as we are less than a month away from potentially have restrictions lifted.

You’re  spot on. COVID shouldn’t be used as an recuse for bad service, which it is most definitely not just in this case but many others as well. 

Edited by TK421

27 minutes ago, TK421 said:

which it is most definitely not just in the case but many others as well. 

Absolutely; other than new applicant face-to-face interviews, there's really no reason for any delay.

The rest of the world has adapted and been expected to maintain similar targets, why are the public services somehow exempted?

6 hours ago, CharlieT said:

It’s not just a hobby for some though, is it and it’s easy to say that, when you’ve got your cert in hand.

8 hours ago, jan8p said:

Week and a half since they said they'd mostly done my background checks, still no FEO contact...

I'm now at that awkward moment of wondering how long to leave it before I chase again.  Once every month seems a bit long to leave it given they are doing my background checks...

I got in touch with BACS, they chased it up for me Friday 21st, FAO phoned me last Thursday, got my home visit next Wednesday, the 2nd. My mate, a fellow applicant at the same time, has got his an hour after mine.

Yours will come pal 👍

3 weeks and two days on from my home visit and still no certificate.

No issues and concerns on the day so I can only assume it's sat on a desk somewhere within South Wales police HQ awaiting a signature or someone actually mailing it out to me. 

A traffic offence would have been in the post same day..

On 03/06/2021 at 13:37, jan8p said:

How it can take 2 weeks from a successful visit is anybody's guess, there's an inefficient process somewhere.

The FEO guy told me that they’re “prioritising renewals, for obvious reasons, but are keen to get all grants processed before they start accepting new ones, on the 21st”.

He also said I should get my cert within a fortnight, but if after 3 weeks it’s not landed, to give him a ring.

Seems like GMP are keen to up their game.

6 hours ago, jan8p said:

I'd love it if mine had taken 23 weeks! 😂

Plus 12 months prior waiting for Cheshire to switch phone lines back on and start processing new applications, on top of the 18 weeks of course 😂 

Edited by TK421

On 03/06/2021 at 09:58, Poor Shot said:

3 weeks and two days on from my home visit and still no certificate.

No issues and concerns on the day so I can only assume it's sat on a desk somewhere within South Wales police HQ awaiting a signature or someone actually mailing it out to me. 

A traffic offence would have been in the post same day..

Three weeks and four days since the home visit and near to 12 months to the day since I sent off for the medical proforma (4 month nightmare of its own) the letter landed on the mat this morning. 

The whole process is nothing short of a complete shambles and needs to be thoroughly reviewed.

23 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Three weeks and four days since the home visit and near to 12 months to the day since I sent off for the medical proforma (4 month nightmare of its own) the letter landed on the mat this morning. 

The whole process is nothing short of a complete shambles and needs to be thoroughly reviewed.

Shopping time then.

Quick update. Had a phone call on Wednesday checking a few things like any changes to medication, security etc. Could I verify how many shotguns and firearms I had, could I check the serial number of one rifle as the seller I bought it from had it incorrectly listed on his FAC and never noticed!.

So at just over 6 months from applying (and 5 weeks after they expired) my certificates arived this morning, and there was no request for a doctors letter.

1 hour ago, phaedra1106 said:

Quick update. Had a phone call on Wednesday checking a few things like any changes to medication, security etc. Could I verify how many shotguns and firearms I had, could I check the serial number of one rifle as the seller I bought it from had it incorrectly listed on his FAC and never noticed!.

So at just over 6 months from applying (and 5 weeks after they expired) my certificates arived this morning, and there was no request for a doctors letter.

Just replied to your post on FB, another lucky Durham customer!