Hide poles on a budget

ratass

I got mine from Wilkinson's but they do a solid plastic one is what you want because I got a cheaper one and it was like a cardboard inner and the pole bent when pushing into hard ground.Hope this helps a bit .like have been said make a steel spike to go into soil first .

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I carried a surplus British entrenching tool and the No4 bayonet for it if expecting hard ground. Then I just ended up taking a long ten inch shaft large Phillips head screwdriver. 

I use exactly the same large screwdriver tool, it works OK except in the rock hard ground in summer when you need to carry a hammer to knock it through the soil crust

My poles are from wilkos, washing line extenders with the plastic clip at the top, they were very week at the bottom, so I sleeved them about 12" up with some steel pipe inside, added a point , then drilled through the side around 6 " up and fitted a 3/8"bolt which acts as a tread plate to push them into the ground, you cannot hammer them in but with either soft ground or a pre drilled hole they go in quite well.

They are light, cheap and easy to replace.

If you like a roof over the hide ( good for the Corvids ) I bought an old tent, one of the larger type, which had 3/8" thick fibre glass folding poles, I saved 2 of them which are around 12 feet long, I simply thread them through some camo net and bend them in a hoop style top over the hide, the ends just push into the ground to hold in place, they came good last summer on a field of stubble with the round bales on, I set up with some desert camo net over the top and the hide looked just like another round bale, birds didn't know what hit them, 

Edited by lakeside1000

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what's wrong with your hide poles ?

They're some I made well over 35 yrs ago they've been bent ,thown about,run over,flattened by stock,repainted and left standing for weeks in all weather's so I thought I'd treat myself.

JB

26 minutes ago, ratass said:

They're some I made well over 35 yrs ago they've been bent ,thown about,run over,flattened by stock,repainted and left standing for weeks in all weather's so I thought I'd treat myself.

JB

Hello, I have some I made from washing poles you can search on here, but decathlon are cheap but a tad heavy, I only use 2 most times then tie up in the hedge,

Same with a lot of things in life , you only get what you pay for , if you buy cheap it might work out dear in the long run , the best ones I had were Pinewood , these were light , strong and lasted longer than most of the other poles I have had , the downside was they were also the most expensive , I have got at least three sets of different poles in the garage and all have faults , either the points are to short , the locking nuts on the middle of the pole could be better , the kick plate need to be higher up and so on , around the fairs you can normally pick them up for around £20 with a free carrying case , as for the linen line props , I have found four of the linen line props are heavier than the bought ones and with no kick plate on you are not really saving much money time you buy and fit the extra bits needed to make them into workable poles .

Others members will swear by them ,and I often swear each time I use them .:lol:

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Same with a lot of things in life , you only get what you pay for , if you buy cheap it might work out dear in the long run , the best ones I had were Pinewood , these were light , strong and lasted longer than most of the other poles I have had , the downside was they were also the most expensive , I have got at least three sets of different poles in the garage and all have faults , either the points are to short , the locking nuts on the middle of the pole could be better , the kick plate need to be higher up and so on , around the fairs you can normally pick them up for around £20 with a free carrying case , as for the linen line props , I have found four of the linen line props are heavier than the bought ones and with no kick plate on you are not really saving much money time you buy and fit the extra bits needed to make them into workable poles .

Others members will swear by them ,and I often swear each time I use them .

I think that my old set of poles are pinewood and have served me well for more years than I remember. However, I treated myself to a set from Paul Hart recently and so far they have been great with bigger foot plates making them easy to push in, even in fairly hard ground. Although they were meant to be from his flooded warehouse, there was nothing wrong with them apart from the foot plates being slightly discoloured which was no problem whatsoever.

Good value I thought.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy