L115A3

welsh1

24 minutes ago, figgy said:

Why make something with so many small parts for squaddies ? 

Your not going to strip that in the field easily without losing parts.

You're conflating 2 processes there.  It's an armourer's exam - nothing to do with field stripping.

I have no military experience, but even I know that field stripping does not, for instance, involve breaking the trigger group down into its constituent parts.

Oh, and obviously best of luck to @welsh1 son, hope he aces it!

Edited by udderlyoffroad

Just now, udderlyoffroad said:

You're conflating 2 processes there.  It's an armourer's exam - nothing to do with field stripping.

I have no military experience, but even I know that field stripping does not, for instance, involve breaking the trigger group down into its constituent parts.

Good point, I used to carry spare gas plugs and firing pins for the SLR.

Not for me but for all the bloody useless fiddlers who lost stuff and usually in the long grass!

44 minutes ago, figgy said:

There are a lot more parts than just trigger group. 

And?

Modern battle field kit is highly complex, and making something 'squaddie proof' isn't the same as making something 'simple' (viz. lowest BOM count)  

Availability, Reliability, Maintainability (ARM or sometimes RAM) are all considered when designing and spec'ing weapons systems.

A squaddie in the field simply will not be taking apart a precision rifle to anything beyond large sub-assemblies for cleaning.

It would appear from a brief google that a field strip involves, er, taking the bolt out: