New Welsh GL

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

They just feel raising money and bringing more court claims. It's not about the legal claim, its a new method of harrassment. 

The Court's need to classify it as a vexacious litigation and tell them to cut it out. 

Very difficult to control zealots using someone else's money pursuing their agenda?

Waiting for costs to be declared but all WJ will do is milk their cash cows more often?

No matter what spin Wild Justice try to put on this judgment the Conclusion of the case is this.

At paragraph 67 of the judgement  The judge says. Accordingly the claim fails.

Wild Justice lost on all three counts and have decided not to appeal the decision.

End of. 

The Welsh government General Licenses were lawful.

Edited by Fisheruk

I have had a little read and below are the two main points that I found interesting, other than WJ having lost.

From what I can gather by reading the judgement, NRW's has got away a less constrictive form of wording for their GL's insofar as in Wales, you are not forced to try other (reasonable) means of detering the birds before shooting them. If I'm correct in that, it would be nice to see DEFRA introduce similar wording in England.

Being a cynic, I'd hazzard a guess that WJ saw this comparatively lax wording and thought that they had identified a soft spot, via which they could set a precident that would further restrict the GL's elsewhere in the UK, but predominantly in England as despite the devolved administration, the English and Welsh legal systems remain substantively as one. That is purely a hunch though.

Further, despite WJ loosing, their silver lining in all of this is that NRW's (and WJ's) rather more constrictive approch to when and how a GL can be used still stands. Now, with the clarity of a judicial reveiw behind it.

That on it's own is quite a success - or at the very least, enough to take away some of the immediate pain of having lost. It's also a great big stick to hit would be users of the GL with, although, they did not succeed in tiying down the GL's with regard to having tightly defined conditions written into them, and so may in reality be rarther hard to police.

Ultimately, there's a lot more grey area in this than either side is publicly admitting - however, on a personal note, I'm glad I'm a member of BASC and that they are using my membership fees to fund a defense of our sport. Hats off to them.

Edited by PeterHenry

Rooks can be controlled in Wales,but an application must be made to NRW ,with due evidence for the need for licence.

It is far from an easy process ,having applied last year for controling crows predating lapwing hatchlings on a SSI.

Wanting photographic evidence,map references,and reason for wanting the licence,was told it could take six weeks for the grant.

Goodbye Lapwings.

I was told to apply early this year,how do you get the evidence without seeing the act taking place?

25 minutes ago, greylag said:

Rooks can be controlled in Wales,but an application must be made to NRW ,with due evidence for the need for licence.

It is far from an easy process ,having applied last year for controling crows predating lapwing hatchlings on a SSI.

Wanting photographic evidence,map references,and reason for wanting the licence,was told it could take six weeks for the grant.

Goodbye Lapwings.

I was told to apply early this year,how do you get the evidence without seeing the act taking place?

That’s what I said. 

it’s a nightmare - last year I had several farms where they had drilled barley ans the rooks were hammering it. 
By the time I had submitted evidence (photo and video) and had a response it was too late. 

30 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

just got this in my inbox from gwct this is their view.

https://www.gwct.org.uk/blogs/news/2021/january/welsh-general-

Its been removed.

What I dont understand is Avery/Packham are calling this a great victory for them (Avery, “A massive step forward”) but as far as I can see if Welsh shooters are unable to control Crows under GL04 (protection of chicks and eggs) why can they not use GL01? Or are we still waiting for GL01 to be updated/changed?

GL01…https://cdn.cyfoethnaturiol.cymru/media/692740/general-licence-001-english-2021.pdf

GL04...https://cdn.cyfoethnaturiol.cymru/media/692742/general-licence-004-english-2021.pdf

Edited by old'un

On 20/01/2021 at 12:25, captainhastings said:

Loads of rooks around absolutely loads. The trees are hanging with them around here

Ah yes, BUT,  have you got photographic evidence that THEY are the ones causing the damage   ?  We will be having Rook I.D. parades next   !     😂 

3 hours ago, Westley said:

Ah yes, BUT,  have you got photographic evidence that THEY are the ones causing the damage   ?  We will be having Rook I.D. parades next   !     😂 

haha true enough. Personal I don't care what damage they do no more than pigeons. There not scarce so whats the problem with shooting them like we all ways have done for god knows how many years. Society has just gone so soft and expect country folk to pussy foot around the place don't hurt this don't hurt that.