W & J Davis barrel browning.

Velocette

I got an old hammer gun from a member on here a few years ago and used is occasionally with home loaded black powder cartridges. Recently its been sitting in the cabinet gathering dust so when giving it a look over I noticed an old rust patch under the blued barrels which needed tidying up. A rub with wire wool revealed some lines which suggested that there may be something other than the  fluid steel that I assumed they were made of. Its not a good picture but you can just see the lines.

IMG_5853.JPG

The barrel was rubbed down to 800 grit and then a series of etches tried to get the pattern out, starting with Boric acid then ferric chloride and finally Copper sulphate which revealed this.

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

Clearly each barrel is made of a slightly different twist material and it was hard to try to reveal the LH pattern. The first rusting didn't show much but I persevered 

IMG_5863.JPG

Eventually I managed to get this pattern out, not perfect by any means but I did discover that by gently steaming the barrel after the final rust and before the final carding increased the contrast somewhat.

IMG_8331.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

IMG_8326.JPG

IMG_8329.JPG

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Looks very nice, what finish did you use?

The finish is just the stock oil that I mix. 2/3 boiled linseed, 1/3 turpentine and a dash of alkanet oil to give it a reddish tinge. Rub it on the barrel as you would an oiled stock and leave to set. It takes a few days to dry and definitely hardens with age.

2 minutes ago, archiebald said:

Oh wow! Nice to see my old gun! Had some good times with it. It now looks amazing!!

Nice to hear from you. The gun is still doing what it does best.

57 minutes ago, archiebald said:

Oh wow! Nice to see my old gun! Had some good times with it. It now looks amazing!!

Just a thought,,would you like it back for what I paid for it ? I'm looking for another project now and am running out of space! I put in a new top lever spring and one firing pin.

21 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Just a thought,,would you like it back for what I paid for it ? I'm looking for another project now and am running out of space! I put in a new top lever spring and one firing pin.

Thanks for the great offer, But I'm at full capacity and no longer using black powder. I bet it would make a black powder enthusiast very happy if you decide to sell it.