Sound mod jls stalker

Burney

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think the spring acts as the baffles. Also I don’t believe a rimfire rated moderator would be suitable for centrefire pressures?

I’m not sure it came on a rimfire I’m just guessing. The only thing I can find on jls sound mods say there rated to .243 but not sure it the same as the 1 I have. Was hoping some on here knew more about them

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple of old JLS Stalker mods in the workshop. These came off a .243. I'm guessing yours wasn't proofed as it would have the calibre stated on it along side the proof mark. You could measure the bore hole at the muzzle for what calibre/s it was made for. 

I can measure mine tomorrow with a pair of verniers when I'm in the workshop for you if you haven't already found out. 

11 hours ago, Fil said:

I've got a couple of old JLS Stalker mods in the workshop. These came off a .243. I'm guessing yours wasn't proofed as it would have the calibre stated on it along side the proof mark. You could measure the bore hole at the muzzle for what calibre/s it was made for. 

I can measure mine tomorrow with a pair of verniers when I'm in the workshop for you if you haven't already found out. 

Hi no I can’t see any proof mark. Yes if you could that would be great I will order a set of verniers now cheers

Right. Sadly the JLS went some time back. However yours (if it's like the one's I had) should be about 10 inches long and 1 1/2" in diameter. (shows you how old these are and how technology has moved on. Still work great though)

You say you think it might have come off an old .22 you had. If it is the size of a .22 rimfire mod then NO. It will disappear after a few shots on a centre fire .22

For  .243 the mods usually come with a internal diameter suitable for calibres up to and including 6.5mm. So as long as yours is the dimensions stated and the internals are larger than 6mm then yes it should be suitable for a .223 and upto a .243.... but I haven't seen yours so all of this is just from what I have had/seen/used.

Unless the JLS is gratis  I would rather get something like a Hausken MD35. They are tiny compared, not much bigger than a rimfire mod and sell for less than a £100.00.

None of my business, but you say you are putting in for a .223 but already have the mod, perhaps for a rifle you don't own anymore. Is it on your ticket? Just asking because the feds might not like that.

12 minutes ago, Fil said:

Right. Sadly the JLS went some time back. However yours (if it's like the one's I had) should be about 10 inches long and 1 1/2" in diameter. (shows you how old these are and how technology has moved on. Still work great though)

You say you think it might have come off an old .22 you had. If it is the size of a .22 rimfire mod then NO. It will disappear after a few shots on a centre fire .22

For  .243 the mods usually come with a internal diameter suitable for calibres up to and including 6.5mm. So as long as yours is the dimensions stated and the internals are larger than 6mm then yes it should be suitable for a .223 and upto a .243.... but I haven't seen yours so all of this is just from what I have had/seen/used.

Unless the JLS is gratis  I would rather get something like a Hausken MD35. They are tiny compared, not much bigger than a rimfire mod and sell for less than a £100.00.

None of my business, but you say you are putting in for a .223 but already have the mod, perhaps for a rifle you don't own anymore. Is it on your ticket? Just asking because the feds might not like that.

I ended up buying a mod with the gun I bought but it’s a old big heavy thing so bought another dm80 to go on it. Yes mate the jls is on my ticket but it down as unknown sound moderator 

11 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Would it even be legal to slap any old (off ticket!) mod you find on a FAC rifle? 

Aside from that the fact you don't seem to be unable to work out what calibre it's even for. 

Dangerous vs potentially illegal if tried ... not sure which is more concerning  

Who said the sound mod was off ticket? 

15 hours ago, Burney said:

Who said the sound mod was off ticket? 

I assumed based on the fact you don’t even know what calibre it’s for ... 

If I am wrong I apologise. 

If it is on ticket, still please be careful. It’s not really worth blowing the end off is it?! 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

I assumed based on the fact you don’t even know what calibre it’s for ... 

If I am wrong I apologise. 

If it is on ticket, still please be careful. It’s not really worth blowing the end off is it?! 

By the looks of it mate you have only read bits of the thread as o have stated it’s on ticket as unknown moderator and also stated that I have bought 2 .223 mods now so no need for it to go on the rifle. Would just be nice to know what caliber it’s rated to. Thanks for you concern tho mate