One thing I like about it is not only the cost saving once you have the kit (got my .243 down to about .50 per round using Hornaday bullets) but the fact if you keep a decent stock of components  you don't have to worry if your local RFDs run out of the type of factory bullets your gun likes.

Also when I am in for a variation I don't have to try and work out how much ammo to keep in stock within my limit if its going to take a while as long as I have a decent stock of components.  

MOA .... yes when you think about it, if your capable of shooting consistant 1/2 inch groups at 100, then all things equal you should be able to group as said above at 600.

HOWEVER there is a thing called wind.  Judging that is the trick and it isn't always consistent either and at 600 even can be fluctuating in both directions.  Watch the flags.

On 22/01/2021 at 08:53, Walker570 said:

MOA .... yes when you think about it, if your capable of shooting consistant 1/2 inch groups at 100, then all things equal you should be able to group as said above at 600.

HOWEVER there is a thing called wind.  Judging that is the trick and it isn't always consistent either and at 600 even can be fluctuating in both directions.  Watch the flags.

There is more to it than just wind. A sporting rifle barrel is very likely to shift it point of impact as it heats up and ten shots is going to heat that barrel up considerably

51 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

There is more to it than just wind. A sporting rifle barrel is very likely to shift it point of impact as it heats up and ten shots is going to heat that barrel up considerably

Just space them out so it doesn't get silly hot. Barrels differ my old 7x57 was superlight and would start to climb after two shots. My seriously heavy Parker hale could shoot a ten shot mag all through the same hole if I did my job.

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

It does depend on the disciplines rules some are 12minutes for 9 shots for example you can’t space that out.  

My .308 gets so hot I cannot even hold my hand on the barrel after 3 shots. The only time I ever fire 9 shots at once is on my annual FC range test, and then I insist that I let the barrel cool after every two shots. Obviously, it is a very light barrel. 
edit. It has never been on a shooting club target range.

Edited by London Best

On 19/01/2021 at 08:46, Burney said:

Hi all just about to buy my first centrefire .223 how much would roughly cost to purchase everything needed for reloading and is it worth doing pros/cons? Cheers

I would say get yourself the lee challenger press kit in 223 good value for the money starting out 

that's how most of us started.      slow maybe but capable of producing quality loads

most.of my kit is lee I swear by it never used anything else it hits what its aimed at if i do my bit 

They are all sold out now because the election but I buy a lot from American Reloading.  I know they ship to  a friend in Canada so they might ship to UK.  The free shipping is only for the lower 48 states though so the shipping might make their good prices mute.  I work out to about $.06 projectile,$ .02primer,  about $.02 powder.  But after shipping to the Uk it might be cheaper to buy local.  It cost my friend $27 USD to ship 2000 projectiles to Canada so I’d guess twice that to the UK. But the big sales come about 3 times a year.   But with our election it will probably be a few more months before anything is in stock. 

0A77EF3F-2D4A-485B-A2BF-0B6D90004140.png.e2c52c44a137a2d20a17ce03aa1aa7a2.png379BCCBF-719A-4F53-AE7F-8CB905248D67.jpeg.5dff8eff2829a71ed98248f31b9ae8b5.jpeg

Edited by NoBodyImportant