Clay Pigeon Shooting Sponsorship

Salopian

I watched the Snooker Masters Final on Sunday and it got me remembering when Barry Hearn sponsored clay shooting .

Masters winner pocketed £250,000 and the runner up £100,000 ! Wow .

Barry also sponsors boxing with winners pocketing £ Millions .Did we clayshooters miss a trick?

When I started we could win Rolex watches and numerous cars . now the top prize at a National will be about £1000.

I believe the CPSA recently lost Red Bull sponsorship at the very last hurdle , did they then approach Monster Energy?

Is there not a CPSA member or indeed a shooting person like Barry Hearn that could take Clay Pigeon Shooting forward ?

The match fishing world has some massive prizes £50-70k for the winner, fishamania, maver match this, kamasan, golden real, but you find most are arranged and put up by the manufacturers you may have to qualify for the final in one of there multiple match's in uk but its got a massive following and some are also on tv.... the shooting world needs a few of the big uk companys to set it up and come forward with sponsorship of such events.

Some of the bigger events abroad attract bigger prize money, euro cash as an example. I know James Bradley day won $16k at an event which I believe was in the UAE.  As for events in the uk I’m not aware of the biggest cash prizes but I do know that some events have shotguns running into the thousands as prizes along side cash cartridges etc.

I shoot because I love and would love to be good enough to make a few quid or just cover costs but don’t think for one second that you could ever make substantial money from being within the top few let alone the lower ranks. 

Of course Starshot was televised  thanks to Jackie Stewart patronage , and The White Gold Cup with Barry Hearn at Weston Park was televised and I think that was a very successful event . I actually organised that event and ran it on behalf of Gamebore , interestingly BASC never bothered to come to any of The White Gold events and CPSA sent their events caravan to Weston Park , but no one came to the event to manage it or meet the Public or even the competitors who obviously were CPSA members. Any members on here remember the Grand Prix Mechanics Clay shoots at Glen Eagles organised by Jackie Stewart ? Hundreds of guests all with accommodation at Gleneagles, everyone attired in Barbour clothes , Pringle sweaters , Hunter wellingtons , Beretta guns as prizes , , there was a prize of a holiday in the Seychelles for the most improved shooter over the three days of the event , the prize was won by a journalist who hit none for two days and finally hit one on the third day . He & his Wife then flew off on an all expenses paid holiday . Bye the way it was all free to every participant . Thank You Sir Jackie and Lady Helen .

3 hours ago, Salopian said:

Of course Starshot was televised  thanks to Jackie Stewart patronage , and The White Gold Cup with Barry Hearn at Weston Park was televised and I think that was a very successful event . I actually organised that event and ran it on behalf of Gamebore , interestingly BASC never bothered to come to any of The White Gold events and CPSA sent their events caravan to Weston Park , but no one came to the event to manage it or meet the Public or even the competitors who obviously were CPSA members. Any members on here remember the Grand Prix Mechanics Clay shoots at Glen Eagles organised by Jackie Stewart ? Hundreds of guests all with accommodation at Gleneagles, everyone attired in Barbour clothes , Pringle sweaters , Hunter wellingtons , Beretta guns as prizes , , there was a prize of a holiday in the Seychelles for the most improved shooter over the three days of the event , the prize was won by a journalist who hit none for two days and finally hit one on the third day . He & his Wife then flew off on an all expenses paid holiday . Bye the way it was all free to every participant . Thank You Sir Jackie and Lady Helen .

You sound like just the man to get it off the ground. 👍

Scully ,

Always up for a challenge , but no one man can do it.

It needs funding .

Last year I wrote to a number of people highlighting what Barry Hearn has done for Snooker, Boxing and Darts .

Darts especially is a grass roots participation sport. Golf cameras can follow the flight of golf balls so why cannot we do it with clays?

A very well thought out event such as The World Sporting at EJ Churchill at West Wycombe could make excellent TV coverage. 

48 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Scully ,

It needs funding .

Last year I wrote to a number of people highlighting what Barry Hearn has done for Snooker, Boxing and Darts .

Darts especially is a grass roots participation sport. Golf cameras can follow the flight of golf balls so why cannot we do it with clays?

A very well thought out event such as The World Sporting at EJ Churchill at West Wycombe could make excellent TV coverage. 

But surely for any one to take it on would need them to feel it would gain a following and make a return.

As has been said and shown before it does not translate in to a return.

1 hour ago, Salopian said:

Scully ,

It needs funding .

I just thought with your past connections you could maybe muster up some interest. 
I’ve sometimes wondered if an event such as 3 day eventing ( without the dressage ) could be combined with clay pigeon shooting.
I realise neither have an appeal outside the rural community, nor are spectacular spectator sports, but we have to try to get past the default mind set of discouragement the urban majority seem to view anything to do with guns or shooting.

Ive no doubt PSG can be entertaining, but can you imagine the amount of bed wetting that would ensue if it was ever televised? 
It’s not just making clay shooting entertaining to watch that is a problem, but changing that mindset. 
Ive mentioned on here before regarding the last time I was in Venice, when I saw a class of kids on a school trip walking through the city all wearing identical Perazzi baseball caps! Again, can you imagine the uproar if that were to happen at a school in the UK? 

Very little appetite for shooting outside shooting.Its not particularlly Enviro friendly, tons of heavy metals and plastic abandoned in the course of events.  Antis be having a field day about competitor number 691  closing and dry mounting his gun as he waits to shoot etc etc the kind of stuff we see all the time, racks of guns unnattended while Bill/jon/katy has a pee or gets a brew. Its just got tv disaster written all the way thru.

i

Rupert,

Thank You. May I ask were your ancestors blinkered dray horses? It is 'enthusiasts' like you that hold countrysports back all the time.

Lighten up it is time for change , and change will never happen if you hide your light .

The way forward for us all is education , entertainment , and enjoyment. 

Tightchoke,

Would you have ever walked into a Pub, seen a Snooker table or a Dart board and said " I can make millions from promoting this ." ?

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting is poor  for spectators, set aside the percieved conduct of some shooters how big a crowd do you think you could muster if it was tickets at the gate? Nobody want to pay to watch it live,Not enough would pay to watch it on tv,Advertisering space would not generate sufficient revenue to make it viable and so sponsers will look for better returns.

Edited by Rupert

Hello, anyone tried shooting star shot ?

I think it is currently run by John Bridges. I shot it at Rishton about 4 years ago. A definite knack to hit the clays in the lowest segments. You need to almost aim in the top of the segment and pull the trigger as the blur of a clay catches your eye. The two higher segments are relatively easy, as were the pairs.

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Back in the day they used short barreled guns with no chokes. Pulled the trigger as they heard the trap go off. Don't get chance to see it to hit it in the first segment.

This could be right up my street mate if you don’t have to see it 

Maybe a totally new format is needed?

Same type of clays just increase the speed and reduce the interval betweem them for reloading.

Or have a loader and try to shoot 50 clays comming straight at you at increasing speed, slight variation of angle and with less and less time between them?

Could be quite spectacular with hanging dust clouds on a calm day...

/Markus 

Maybe a little off track , but if we had squads of 11 or 15 and all hugged and kissed each other at every clay break we could get sponsorship from BT or Natwest and get out and practice and compete in these lockdown times . One in the shooting stand and others standing at least two metres outside or behind is obviously wrong.

1 hour ago, Salopian said:

Maybe a little off track , but if we had squads of 11 or 15 and all hugged and kissed each other at every clay break we could get sponsorship from BT or Natwest and get out and practice and compete in these lockdown times . One in the shooting stand and others standing at least two metres outside or behind is obviously wrong.

I feel your pain; they may as well be snogging!

There must be some method to generate interest, after all, look at golf!  People flock to watch that and it amazes me how folk will amass to watch someone hit a ball, and others will amass to watch a ball land! Is it me?

Golf attracts huge huge huge sponsorship and I have no idea why. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

use sub-sonic loads - that would increase the miss-ratio - For Skeet to be televised - it would need to be one person at a time - I can shoot a round in a couple of minutes by myself - get a squad and you are looking at 5 minutes per person per round - could even introduce a time element into it......