Clay Pigeon Shooting Sponsorship

Salopian

The USA tried it with the Professional Sporting Clays Association Pro Tour. They got some sponsorship and filmed it for a few seasons, I guess trying to emulate the PGA golf tour. The tour was cancelled for the 2018 season.

https://youtube.com/user/PSCAtour

I’m not too sure how many shooters would actually watch it let alone the general public, the viewing demographic is not really there for shooting competitions. I compete and get very bored watching X amount of competitors shoot. 120 birds. I would and have watched the super final but as a competitor I hate them to the point I no longer shoot every major religiously.

That can be the problem, you make the shoot more spectator friendly but less competitor friendly.

If the USA cannot make it work where there is large scale gun ownership, the right to bear arms and big corporate sponsorship I don’t hold out any hope of it working here.

I think we can either attract more competitors or increase the spectator base not necessarily both.

Edited by timps

Thank you all for the very positive feedback.

I guess my love of the sport and enthusiasm got me carried away.

Just like life our sport is cyclic, when I started I found it expensive and dominated by the wealthy, then as my fortunes increased it seemed more popular , now due to the economy I feel it is once again an expensive sport and competitions are being won by those with a lot of disposable income that enables them to have multiple entries and shoot regularly.

So after all your feedback I will content my self on enjoying my own shooting , let us hope that everyone can do the same.

Remember if you alter your score card you haven't really won , you are only kidding yourself and embezzling your friends .

On 15/02/2021 at 21:23, Mr.T said:

This just shows what clay shooting is up against 

local shoot that currently runs under 28 day rule, has applied for planning permission for 200 days per year.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/parents-lockdown-nightmare-neighbour-decides-4993580?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

And THIS sums up why television steer clear of shooting  ! 

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I am confident that these snowflakes will never have attended a football or rugby match, because of the noise pollution for those living around the grounds. Very selective standards.

They are probably feeding the clay pigeons in their gardens and can not even consider them being shot  !

On 15/02/2021 at 21:23, Mr.T said:

This just shows what clay shooting is up against 

local shoot that currently runs under 28 day rule, has applied for planning permission for 200 days per year.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/parents-lockdown-nightmare-neighbour-decides-4993580?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Surely all shooting grounds are closed during present lockdown ??  So why are the family troubled by noise impact on Zoom schooling ??

On 19/02/2021 at 08:38, stockybasher said:

Surely all shooting grounds are closed during present lockdown ??  So why are the family troubled by noise impact on Zoom schooling ??

It's just an excuse. It's amazing how many people complain that they cannot sit in their garden on a Sunday morning in winter, because they can hear shooting in the far distance. 

What really boils my p!ss is when someone moves into the area, and then complains. A shooting ground local to me had to reduce days last year because a new resident in a neighbouring village lodged a complaint, then rallied around the local community for support. That shoot has been running, with no history of complaints, since the late fifties!

On the subject of televised shooting - they would need to add some glamour like they did with darts. Loud intro music, lazer light shows, garish costumes, and alter egos for the shooters.

Picture the crowd jeering as Ben 'The Bad Boy' Husthwaite dressed head to toe in motorcycle leathers, metal chains, a red mohawk, and face piecings, is walking to the stand carrying a sawn off Krieghoff that shoots flames, whilst 'Bad To The Bone' blasts out of the speakers. The crowd's jeers then turn to cheers as Queens 'We Will Rock You' denotes the entrance of George 'The Dragon Slayer' Digweed, dressed head to toe in faux-armour carrying a Perazzi made up to reassemble a claymore sword.

It would be epic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the minority here, I don't want my sport popularizing,  that would attract a load of money grabbing people like L Hamilton,G Lineker, etc, just imagine the footie millionaires and pop stars all wanting some of the ACTION.I want my sport to stay low key, it attracts people from all walks of life who in the main just get quietly on with enjoying each others company. Big is not always best. From Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

11 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I am in the minority here, I don't want my sport popularizing,  that would attract a load of money grabbing people like L Hamilton,G Lineker, etc, just imagine the footie millionaires and pop stars all wanting some of the ACTION.I want my sport to stay low key, it attracts people from all walks of life who in the main just get quietly on with enjoying each others company. Big is not always best. From Auntie.

North Wales Shooting School used to be the place - Prince Andrew and Sir Jackie Stewart back in the 70's & 80's with Rolex sponsorships for competitions etc... My F-I-L once took Sir Jackie from the station to there

While it is the ground I go to to shoot skeet (and I must say it has a fantastic skyline and the cover from trees means that the clays are only affected on the worst of days - it is just a shame that it only has three layouts) it could do with some updating.

1 hour ago, discobob said:

North Wales Shooting School used to be the place - Prince Andrew and Sir Jackie Stewart back in the 70's & 80's with Rolex sponsorships for competitions etc... My F-I-L once took Sir Jackie from the station to there

While it is the ground I go to to shoot skeet (and I must say it has a fantastic skyline and the cover from trees means that the clays are only affected on the worst of days - it is just a shame that it only has three layouts) it could do with some updating.

Interesting about Jackie Stewart, Someone once asked him if after all his accolades in the racing fields, did he have any regrets, I understand his reply was that he didn't get to shoot for England.. from Auntie. 

13 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

Yeah, I can understand that; j think people were trying to ensure it’s survival if it became hugely popoular.

25 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Interesting about Jackie Stewart, Someone once asked him if after all his accolades in the racing fields, did he have any regrets, I understand his reply was that he didn't get to shoot for England.. from Auntie. 

Do you mean Scotland? 

11 hours ago, Scully said:

Yeah, I can understand that; j think people were trying to ensure it’s survival if it became hugely popoular.

Do you mean Scotland? 

11 hours ago, Scully said:

Do you mean Scotland? 

Probably should read shoot for his country. Sorry.....

9 minutes ago, Westley said:

Having met him, I am sure he meant ENGLAND   

Really, how would that work?

He was born in Scotland!

"He also turned to clay-pigeon shooting, shooting for Scotland, and winning all the home countries' championships in 1959 and 1960, but in the latter year, on his 21st birthday, failed dismally to qualify for the Olympic team."

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Really, how would that work?

He was born in Scotland!

"He also turned to clay-pigeon shooting, shooting for Scotland, and winning all the home countries' championships in 1959 and 1960, but in the latter year, on his 21st birthday, failed dismally to qualify for the Olympic team."

Yes, but he had a wicked sense of dry, Scottish humour too   !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I and family watched a star shot clay comp near Hungerford years ago, it was all celebs including Mr Botham 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I and family watched a star shot clay comp near Hungerford years ago, it was all celebs including Mr Botham 

as I side note my friend shot for England years ago, very little sponsorship back then,