Favourite gun manufacturer

NorfolkAYA

This thread is likely to show a lot of bias! Tikka have crazy smooth actions, very accurate out of the box and are well priced. There is a bit of stigma associated with buying a Tikka here in NZ because it is the boring, obvious choice. I don't understand why people buy inferior products just be different. Also like my CZ rimfire because it is so damn accurate. Other guns that I own are a Bergara single shot centrefire and a Browning Maxus semi-auto shotgun. Wouldn't change much about them either. So four guns, four different manufacturers and each perfectly suited to it's intended job. 

Edited by Houseplant

I don't have a favourite, I like guns from nearly every maker.

Out of all the guns I've handled my faves have been a Beretta SO10 and a Browning Crown in 20 bore. Both looked very nice and fit and handled great. The crown was the best one of them I've had hold of, maybe the wood density but it was a good one. Just a shame they're way over priced.

Out of my own guns my Gunmark Royale sidelock by Garbi, built and engraved to gunmarks specs. Having a handbuilt gun that balances like it does with crisp leaf spring triggers and it's hardly been shot is a nice pleasure to own and shoot on the occasional time I use it.

Edited by figgy

I can't pin down a 'favourite' maker, but a few thoughts;

• AyA, fit me well, and cost effective (second hand) and well made value for money
  • Merkel - love the engineering of the better sidelocks - handle beautifully (not at all like they look they should !).  Wonderful value second hand.
  • William Powell (Birmingham years) - lovely firm to deal with and run (then) by the founding family.  Some 1st class guns and inexpensive as used guns
  • AA Brown and Son.  Still in the Brown family and genuinely hand making a first grade gun

13 hours ago, NorfolkAYA said:

just for a bit of fun and a bit of debate.

My favourite would be browning and I do have a soft spot for a Lincoln.

ATB

Picky I know but Lincoln is not a maker its a brand name .

I suppose it all depends on your out look , how can you compare a rife maker to a gun maker [thats shot guns ] ?How can you compare a hand built Victorian hammer gun to a mass produced Mossberg pump action ?

I guess my sentimental side would say Webley and Scott , when they actually made guns , Browning B25's or an A5's which was the first proper gun I owned . 

Having to go where you're sent can severely interfere with your shooting. Consequently, I didn't actually buy my own proper gun until '74 - an AyA 26" barrelled Yeoman with a beaver-tail forend. Tax free is handy, so my next was a XXV SL. I stayed with these - BL or SL with the odd flirtation with various OUs until I could afford a Churchill XXV. I had 2, but couldn't get on with either as they were far too small in the hand so back to AyA. So, on the face of it the answer is AyA. But no, it's not the maker but the design. I bought a 26" Webley and Scott and started to kick myself. Just recently, I found their version of the XXV which has finally settled the matter after some 45+ years. I did like the Merkel and the Chapuis OUs and wasn't too pleased with the necessity to sell the latter but this was more than compensated for by acquiring the W&S.

In short, my answer is an English maker who produces SbS XXVs

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Having to go where you're sent can severely interfere with your shooting. Consequently, I didn't actually buy my own proper gun until '74 - an AyA 26" barrelled Yeoman with a beaver-tail forend. Tax free is handy, so my next was a XXV SL. I stayed with these - BL or SL with the odd flirtation with various OUs until I could afford a Churchill XXV. I had 2, but couldn't get on with either as they were far too small in the hand so back to AyA. So, on the face of it the answer is AyA. But no, it's not the maker but the design. I bought a 26" Webley and Scott and started to kick myself. Just recently, I found their version of the XXV which has finally settled the matter after some 45+ years. I did like the Merkel and the Chapuis OUs and wasn't too pleased with the necessity to sell the latter but this was more than compensated for by acquiring the W&S.

In short, my answer is an English maker who produces SbS XXVs

That echoes my experience with the Churchil. I had one loaned to me for a season but after the first two or three days I went back to my Grandfathers old BSA boxlock.

The Churchill just felt like a toy gun to me exactly as you describe, could not shoot with it for toffee.  As said I will normally shoot anything but out of choice of all the guns I have owned nothing NOTHING beats my Army & Navy 16 gauge side by side.  I only rarely shoot it these days but when I do it is like meeting an old friend and rarely lets me down.

17 hours ago, NorfolkAYA said:

just for a bit of fun and a bit of debate.

My favourite would be browning and I do have a soft spot for a Lincoln.

ATB

Im just wondering why you haven't got the user name NorfolkBrowning..  Old Cogswell and Harrison for me, Ive got three 12,20,410.... hoping to get one with a double barrel one day .😄

Edited by islandgun

17 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Bsa  .every day for me 

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Whatever fits me like a glove  and is reliable.

My everyday gun at the moment is a B S A ej sxs , when that one reach the sell by date then it will be one of my other guns that still fit me ( within reason as I have never been in the position to have a gun fitted ) , all the guns I have got through in my time have served me well and didn't owe my nothing , a good English side by side have stood the test of time and still take some beating for reliability and looks .