Winchester 1892

Modafinale

Bought another Winchester 1892 this time a 44-40

British proof marks made in 1918 bought by the China Navigation Company. Ended up in USA in the 1940’s bought by a Canadian collector and finally by me this week.

on the way back to Britain 100 years after it first arrived , looking forward to shooting alongside its smaller brother 

53B70FD1-EC0C-4691-B274-5CECDDC85F56.jpeg

0393572C-C244-44FF-BFBD-CA878935B10D.jpeg

Nice bit of kit with a bit of history. Good to see them still in use.

Can you actually work the lever like they do in films? 🙂 A mate had a .444 Marlin back in our handgun days, and whether it was the newness or it just can’t be done, but none of us could work the lever as they do in the Westerns without it really really hurting the back of your fingers! 😀

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

Nice bit of kit with a bit of history. Good to see them still in use.

Can you actually work the lever like they do in films? 🙂 A mate had a .444 Marlin back in our handgun days, and whether it was the newness or it just can’t be done, but none of us could work the lever as they do in the Westerns without it really really hurting the back of your fingers! 😀

You need to do more work on your finger exercises 😂

Nice looking bit of kit with a good story to go with it!

A Winchester 1892 has always been one of the guns that I've wanted along with a Colt 1861, a Colt 1911 and a Lee Enfield 303 must have been all the cowboy and war films as a kid. 😁

I've got a couple of copies in 357 mag just wish i had more chance to use them for fun.

4 hours ago, Scully said:

none of us could work the lever as they do in the Westerns without it really really hurting the back of your fingers! 😀

I wrapped paracord round the lever which makes more comfortable. Thinking of getting a 444 next to accompany my 44 and 45-70.

Nice 44-40. You'll have to let us know how it shoots.

12 hours ago, Imperfection said:

I wrapped paracord round the lever which makes more comfortable. Thinking of getting a 444 next to accompany my 44 and 45-70.

Nice 44-40. You'll have to let us know how it shoots.

Good thinking! One helluva gun; we had great fun shooting turnips with it! 😀

12 hours ago, bluesj said:

Nice looking bit of kit with a good story to go with it!

A Winchester 1892 has always been one of the guns that I've wanted along with a Colt 1861, a Colt 1911 and a Lee Enfield 303 must have been all the cowboy and war films as a kid. 😁

I've got a couple of copies in 357 mag just wish i had more chance to use them for fun.

I’ve owned all those at one time, although the Colt was the 1849 Pocket Model. 👍

Edited to add Ive never owned a lever action Winchester. 

Edited by Scully

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Good thinking! One helluva gun; we had great fun shooting turnips with it! 😀

I’ve owned all those at one time, although the Colt was the 1841 Pocket Model. 👍

I've sort of got modern versions of them but can't use some of them for fun and its not like having the real thing

• 2 months later...

Had an 1894 for some years, 45 Colt Trapper.
Loved it and shot it in a lot of comps
Only negative was it had a modern dimple safety and needed some tuning of the springs, etc.

Replaced it with a modern 45 Colt Trapper take-down Win. 92, one of the amazing Miroku made guns.
Slick is not the word...I'd not handled a smoother lever action
Until I got an older Browning BL-92 companion gun for it, in 357, also made by Miroku, but some decades ago - so it's had a little use and settled in somewhat.
Even smoother than the new take-down version...!

I am reminded that a mate offered me a 44-40, with WW1 UK military markings & I turned it down, I think because of the caliber.
Now, an old '92 in .32-WCF, (.32-20).well, that would be a definite purchase. Someone at the club has one, it's a real beauty.

It was written somewhere that they used to say in the "old West" in the US that there had been more men killed, good or bad, with the .44-40 than any other calibre. It is in a carbine a potent dose of medicine a 210 grain bullet at about 1,200fps I think? That's the same real world velocity as the .41 Smith & Wesson Magnum "police load" in the Model 58.