Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Bought another Winchester 1892 this time a 44-40

British proof marks made in 1918 bought by the China Navigation Company. Ended up in USA in the 1940’s bought by a Canadian collector and finally by me this week.

on the way back to Britain 100 years after it first arrived , looking forward to shooting alongside its smaller brother 

53B70FD1-EC0C-4691-B274-5CECDDC85F56.jpeg

0393572C-C244-44FF-BFBD-CA878935B10D.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice bit of kit with a bit of history. Good to see them still in use.

Can you actually work the lever like they do in films? 🙂 A mate had a .444 Marlin back in our handgun days, and whether it was the newness or it just can’t be done, but none of us could work the lever as they do in the Westerns without it really really hurting the back of your fingers! 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Scully said:

Nice bit of kit with a bit of history. Good to see them still in use.

Can you actually work the lever like they do in films? 🙂 A mate had a .444 Marlin back in our handgun days, and whether it was the newness or it just can’t be done, but none of us could work the lever as they do in the Westerns without it really really hurting the back of your fingers! 😀

You need to do more work on your finger exercises 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking bit of kit with a good story to go with it!

A Winchester 1892 has always been one of the guns that I've wanted along with a Colt 1861, a Colt 1911 and a Lee Enfield 303 must have been all the cowboy and war films as a kid. 😁

I've got a couple of copies in 357 mag just wish i had more chance to use them for fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scully said:

none of us could work the lever as they do in the Westerns without it really really hurting the back of your fingers! 😀

I wrapped paracord round the lever which makes more comfortable. Thinking of getting a 444 next to accompany my 44 and 45-70.

Nice 44-40. You'll have to let us know how it shoots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Imperfection said:

I wrapped paracord round the lever which makes more comfortable. Thinking of getting a 444 next to accompany my 44 and 45-70.

Nice 44-40. You'll have to let us know how it shoots.

Good thinking! One helluva gun; we had great fun shooting turnips with it! 😀

 

12 hours ago, bluesj said:

Nice looking bit of kit with a good story to go with it!

A Winchester 1892 has always been one of the guns that I've wanted along with a Colt 1861, a Colt 1911 and a Lee Enfield 303 must have been all the cowboy and war films as a kid. 😁

I've got a couple of copies in 357 mag just wish i had more chance to use them for fun.

I’ve owned all those at one time, although the Colt was the 1849 Pocket Model. 👍

Edited to add Ive never owned a lever action Winchester. 

Edited by Scully
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Good thinking! One helluva gun; we had great fun shooting turnips with it! 😀

 

I’ve owned all those at one time, although the Colt was the 1841 Pocket Model. 👍

I've sort of got modern versions of them but can't use some of them for fun and its not like having the real thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I’m amazed it went through America and not converted to 45LC.  We run a 45LC rimmer down the barrel of everything historical and in good shape😂.  Great find. 44-40 is hard to find over here.  You have to go to a gun store VS 45 is available at sportinggoods and grocery stores.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an 1894 for some years, 45 Colt Trapper.
Loved it and shot it in a lot of comps
Only negative was it had a modern dimple safety and needed some tuning of the springs, etc.

Replaced it with a modern 45 Colt Trapper take-down Win. 92, one of the amazing Miroku made guns.
Slick is not the word...I'd not handled a smoother lever action
Until I got an older Browning BL-92 companion gun for it, in 357, also made by Miroku, but some decades ago - so it's had a little use and settled in somewhat.
Even smoother than the new take-down version...!

I am reminded that a mate offered me a 44-40, with WW1 UK military markings & I turned it down, I think because of the caliber.
Now, an old '92 in .32-WCF, (.32-20).well, that would be a definite purchase. Someone at the club has one, it's a real beauty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was written somewhere that they used to say in the "old West" in the US that there had been more men killed, good or bad, with the .44-40 than any other calibre. It is in a carbine a potent dose of medicine a 210 grain bullet at about 1,200fps I think? That's the same real world velocity as the .41 Smith & Wesson Magnum "police load" in the Model 58.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be taking my .357 out for an airing at the range next weekend.
Already have a couple of hundred rounds made for it - but I may make up another 300 or so - better take them and bring a few back than not take enough

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...