Photograph

steve_b_wales

I have a framed photograph on my lounge wall, of my son and myself on a local farm. This was the very last photo I had taken (35mm self portrait, or 'selfie') that I have of him as he died almost six months to the day later. The photo is of the two of us, standing in a field with our 'guns'. There is a lot of background in the photo and I was wondering if there's anywhere I can send the negative and get it reprinted with not so much background. The photo is approx' 16"x12" in a larger frame. I've tried to look online but can't find anyone who can do this. Also, the photo has faded a bit with sunlight etc, so a reprint would improve that. 

I will see if I can add a photo of the photo!

S&D FARM.jpg

Edited by steve_b_wales

I would call in at a local photographer place and ask them. They may do the job for you.  Have a few prints made so you can keep some spare out of the light.

Even keeping them properly after time they do fade, my wife and daughter were looking an some old photos from my childhood, I remember how bright the colours were but now almost have a sepia hue over them.

Best kept images I've seen are the Getty images on glass, look fresh and colourful.

34 minutes ago, Gameking said:

Steve

Not used them myself but they advertise photo restoration - worth an enquiry I would have thought .

http://www.ystiwdiobrint.co.uk/

best of luck

I've contacted them regarding this. Thanks.

22 minutes ago, figgy said:

I would call in at a local photographer place and ask them. They may do the job for you.  Have a few prints made so you can keep some spare out of the light.

Even keeping them properly after time they do fade, my wife and daughter were looking an some old photos from my childhood, I remember how bright the colours were but now almost have a sepia hue over them.

Best kept images I've seen are the Getty images on glass, look fresh and colourful.

Sadly, no local photographer to me. I have kept the negative and also have every single photograph of my son saved on CD discs, USB sticks and so on. I've even given discs/sticks to some of my family so that, God forbid, my house burns down, I will still have the photo's. I agree about photographs losing their colour after time. I've got loads in photo albums going back to the 1970's and quite a few have taken on a different colour. This is even more so when we all sent out 35mm film reels to the likes of Tru Print and Bonus Photo. In the early 1980's, I did a photography course, and this was mentioned. Accordingly, a black and white photograph can last a few 100 years if kept in the right conditions, but if that photo was reprinted using Sepia, it could last 'forever'.

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

There are some very clever people out there regarding photo’ manipulation and restoration. Take your time to ensure you get the right outfit. 
Instagram isn’t a bad place to search as you always get feedback from other people and recommendations, or otherwise. 

:good:

We have a top quality photo reproduction company near where I work I am not a professional photographer but know a good photo and who to trust.

if you have the negative and it is in good condition this can be scanned and turned into a digital version that can be tinkered with and reprinted.

I have also got the ability to scan negatives but the equipment was assigned to the loft a number of years ago. But due to the ‘importance’ I would get this done by the pros.

When scanned then tinker with colour and then sort the crop and send back to photoshop to be professional produced.

now the bad news I don’t think that the place is open during current lockdown and I am avoiding going to work as I can do 95% working from home.

Happy to help a fellow PW member as a father and fellow shooter !

atb Agriv8

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

We have a top quality photo reproduction company near where I work I am not a professional photographer but know a good photo and who to trust.

if you have the negative and it is in good condition this can be scanned and turned into a digital version that can be tinkered with and reprinted.

I have also got the ability to scan negatives but the equipment was assigned to the loft a number of years ago. But due to the ‘importance’ I would get this done by the pros.

When scanned then tinker with colour and then sort the crop and send back to photoshop to be professional produced.

now the bad news I don’t think that the place is open during current lockdown and I am avoiding going to work as I can do 95% working from home.

Happy to help a fellow PW member as a father and fellow shooter !

atb Agriv8

Thanks for your comments etc. Do you have the address of the company you mentioned? I'm in touch with the other one that Gameking mentioned and I'm waiting to see their reply.

16 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Here you go :-

https://www.bcephotolab.com

I think they will scan and return not sure they will fix and adjust but drop em a line.

I have to go into loft later happy to see if I can find my negative scanner and give it a go if you want me to try. 

regards Agriv8 

Thanks again. 

6 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks again. 

Steve this might be worth a try if you have a mobile with good camera on 

It could be worth a try 

Agriv8 

8901DE33-D5E1-46E9-A1DB-44F4909DDD42.png

its a screen grab so might have to search App Store for something similar 

Edited by Agriv8

this company close to me is very and profesional   

Professional Photo Printing | Photo Printing | Digital Photo Printing - DS Colour Labs

just had a look ands they do transfers from negative to digital 

once you have a digital image it is relatively easy to get it photoshopped and manipulated 

i have used this companyloads of times for large prints and always been 100% happy ,on the one occasion i had to ring about a query with my order they reprinted all my prints ,sent the money back and a voucher off next visit ....very happy with them

20 minutes ago, Munzy said:

@steve_b_wales If you can get a digital copy to me (best quality will be from the negative but a scan of the print on a high quality scanner will suffice) I am happy to crop it down, clear it up a bit and bring some colour and sharpness back in. I can then email it back to you for you to print. Just drop me a PM.

Dom

Thank you. Much appreciated.