The Bay

Gordon R

My wife and I watched the first series - I found it fairly dire and badly written. My wife put it on the TV tonight and, against my better judgement, I said i would give it another try. 

Morecambe should be flattered by its depiction, but the writing has not improved. A man was murdered in his own home, so the Police decided his wife should be moved to a "safe house". She was taken in a BMW X5 in full Police livery, to a bed and breakfast on Morecambe promenade. As she got out to enter the place, she was shadowed by a Firearms Officer , with what looked like a Heckler and Koch. 

They might as well have had a brass band outside to bid her welcome. 

Amateurish doesn't do it justice. The only good thing I would say is that it featured James Cosmo, who has a fair few film credits to his name - Troy, Highlander, Braveheart etc. I first saw him in one of the better episodes of "The Sweeney", as Sergeant Frith of the Scottish Police.

Edited by Gordon R

I think the makers of dramas these days believe diversity and equality are more important than accuracy, storyline quality or technical integrity. Hence the main character is a woman and the men are either loudmouth bullies, ignorant insensitive louts or unimaginative numpties. Nowadays it's the men being typecast, just like women were years ago when most were portrayed as either sexy and decorative or hopelessly dippy.

Who'd want to be a white, heterosexual male actor these days?

10 hours ago, old man said:

I personally think we expect far too much from so called drama these days. think i saw one the other day where rifle cases were supposedly ejected from a semi pistol?

In great need of Specsavers for hearing and sight tests.

Yes saw the same but for the Life of me can not remember which program.

On 20/01/2021 at 23:15, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, good post Gordon, I thought it was watchable but did not have that Edge as some other dramas that ITV show, there's a new Drama on BBC 2 29th this month, and some more series of past Dramas are worth looking out for, 

Hello, sorry it is on BBC 2 tonight

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Haven’t watched it, but having spent a lot of time in Morecambe over the years I can imagine it must be pretty grim! 😀

Possibly much improved over yesteryear? 

Remembering Heysham I think with a caravan so close to the power station that you could cook food just by holding it out of the window? lol

Far worse programmes out there maybe? My particular at present is Bradley Walsh and kid. He's not that funny and he needs to keep his flippin eyes on the road more?

Edited by old man

6 minutes ago, old man said:

Possibly much improved over yesteryear? 

Remembering Heysham I think with a caravan so close to the power station that you could cook food just by holding it out of the window? lol

Only joshing; I have many many fond memories of Morecambe from my youth right up to taking my own children there for days out;  even had a weeks holiday there when they were very small. 
Happy Mount Park, Heysham Head, Frontier Land, Morecambe Bowl, the Lido and Marineland. 🙂

West End has got rougher as the years have gone by, but every town has its downside. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Only joshing; I have many many fond memories of Morecambe from my youth right up to taking my own children there for days out;  even had a weeks holiday there when they were very small. 
Happy Mount Park, Heysham Head, Frontier Land, Morecambe Bowl, the Lido and Marineland. 🙂

West End has got rougher as the years have gone by, but every town has its downside. 

👍