Licence extension?

Jamesrb90

How long do you have before expiry? You may be given a couple of weeks to try and get it sorted but  it's unlikely they will put a formal extension on your licence.

I had trouble on my last renewal so I left my guns into the local station for a couple of weeks to sort mine out, as soon as licence arrived I just went over to get them. myself and a couple of constables then verified they were in the same condition as when I left them and walked out with them

Until this occasion my mob have always been on the ball, but what with me downsizing and Covid we've had a bit of a do - my corrected cert's finally hit the mat today. Whether it was down to Covid or the fact that they've taken on the firearms role for the adjoining constabulary I'll never know, but early on after I'd returned my applications in good time I was given a Section 28B - 8 weeks - extension without having to ask so I would guess that they knew that there was trouble ahead. Having said that, we could be on differing planets as I've never been asked or had to supply any medical bumf - or pay for it for that matter.

So, yep, as above if you've done as you should have.

Thanks all. My licence expires 01/03/2021 so not long at all. Worst case I will leave my guns else where like someone mentioned on this thread. But I did see this on the gov web 

We are aware that some GP’s are still facing delays in providing reports due to COVID. Please continue to attempt obtain your completed proforma prior to submitting your renewal application regardless of your expiry date. We will not allow you to expire for this reason – if we have not received your application a week prior to your expiry date, we will extend your current certificate for a further eight weeks and will confirm that we have done this via e-mail to you

Last year my s g c came up for renewal , the reminder came through my door in good time and I filled the forms in and sent everything off more or less straight away , they sent me a polite letter for a more up to date passport photo as the one I sent was a few years old ?? , as luck would have it I had a more recent one which I had done when I re joined our local wildfowling club , the new one was sent and I got another letter saying that due to the virus my new one might be late in coming , when the time got nearer I got a four week extension on my old one in case I was asked for it or if I needed to buy any cartridges , then a week before my old one expired my new one came through the door .

From start to finish I had excellent service from the Norfolk team at the firearm department and no medical requirements were needed .