Shooting during lockdown

flyeruk

Just a quick one. I know the guidance re shooting says we can shoot as part of our daily exercise, but just want people's opinions. 

I have a 800 acre perm, which is in my village. I need to zero a new scope. 

The landowner has no problems with me doing this, but am I okay to do this under the latest restriction? 

I do carry out pest control on this perm. 

Also, should I inform the police to cover myself? 

If you get letter saying you are doing pest control you can shoot vermin during lockdown you should be able to zero rifle as for telling the police I would not your letter will cover you.

During last years lockdown I phoned them to ask if ok to go but I had a right **** head who said not but Basc said it was ok to go.

1 minute ago, snow white said:

If you get letter saying you are doing pest control you can shoot vermin during lockdown you should be able to zero rifle as for telling the police I would not your letter will cover you.

During last years lockdown I phoned them to ask if ok to go but I had a right **** head who said not but Basc said it was ok to go.

Avon and Somerset have told me to do as basc say, but also think what my actions may look to others and if reported can I justify my actions. You should be absolutely fine going to your permission. 

38 minutes ago, flyeruk said:

Just a quick one. I know the guidance re shooting says we can shoot as part of our daily exercise, but just want people's opinions. 

I have a 800 acre perm, which is in my village. I need to zero a new scope. 

The landowner has no problems with me doing this, but am I okay to do this under the latest restriction? 

I do carry out pest control on this perm. 

Also, should I inform the police to cover myself? 

Just go. Don’t inform the rozzers, you are doing nothing illegal. 
We’re still shooting locally ( my syndicate land is 8 miles from me ) albeit two at a time. Perfectly legit’, and even more so if you can walk there. 

If gun shops are open to sell ammo and guns for pest control etc .then using that ammo for pest control  etc is fine .

Otherwise .

Its like saying you can go to tescos to buy food but your not allowed to eat it .

I'm allowed to work on site.. so tool shops and builders merchants have to stay open to feed the work .its a  chicken and egg situation. 

Edited by Ultrastu

Here in wales I walked to my duck spot twice last weekend which means a tramp up the main road couple of miles. Pretty sure a police car passed but I didn't look up lol. I think police are being a bit more rational this time around. Gun was broken down and bagged up and I was laden with a seat bucket and great big rucksack at 5am . It was certainly good exercise nearly killed me lol

I'm planning on roost shooting tomorrow on our syndicate which is approximately 9 miles from my front door. I'll be completely alone for the duration. 

I wasn't planning on going until I had a call from our keeper earlier informing me that given the volume of rape on the farm this year the farm manager would like the syndicate members to cover a wood each on Saturday afternoons for the foreseeable future. On that basis I believe I'm complying with the rules.

https://basc.org.uk/coronavirus/

My perms are approx 45minutes drive away , phoned the 101 number to check if it was still ok to go , the answer was pest control still allowed but she couldnt advise me about the travel time/distance , basically said it would be down to the officer if i was stopped / questioned as to whether i would be fined or not , which isnt really very assuring so im in a quandry if i can go or not 

35 minutes ago, telf said:

My perms are approx 45minutes drive away , phoned the 101 number to check if it was still ok to go , the answer was pest control still allowed but she couldnt advise me about the travel time/distance , basically said it would be down to the officer if i was stopped / questioned as to whether i would be fined or not , which isnt really very assuring so im in a quandry if i can go or not 

Thats about the same distance as my perms for pest control, I have not gone out yet but will need to do something soon with lambing season coming up. I have written request for pest control so that is covered but as you where told its down to the officer if stopped.

7 minutes ago, powler said:

Thats about the same distance as my perms for pest control, I have not gone out yet but will need to do something soon with lambing season coming up. I have written request for pest control so that is covered but as you where told its down to the officer if stopped.

Exactly , could be a very expensive shooting session , what makes it worse is there is no definative answer to the question , yes you can go but no you cant travel outside your area and if you do your at the mercy of an officer who depending on how good a day hes had  depends on if you get a fine or not 

And that’s where it all falls apart! There are no definitive guidelines as to what constitutes local, or reasonable and until there are it shouldn’t be up to the police to interpret what is meant. 
Saying that, common sense has to prevail....but as that American copper said to Clarkson ‘when you’ve got laws Sir, you don’t need common sense.’ 😀

1 hour ago, telf said:

you can go shooting now rough shooting,after pests ,why do people phone 101.

Yes you can go , but the question is can you travel outside your area 30/40miles , as i have said if you get stopped it seems to be down to the police officer as to whether he thinks you should have travelled that far and also as to whether he slaps you with a fine , there is nothing anywhere to say the distance you can travel , if there was then you wouldnt have the problem with one officer making a decision that can make your wallet £200 + lighter

people phone 101 to try and get a definate answer to which there doesnt seem to be one

Edited by telf

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I agree 100% we are making a rod for our backs starting this new craze of calling the old bill before we go shooting.

well you can try and get an infinitive answer and have a clear conscience or take a chance and keep looking over your shoulder i myself was involved with the police last Thursday involving a firearm incident when everything was checked and  ok with serial numbers on rifles and permission was established there was no mention of lockdown all was asked was are you foxing and the reply was yes so doing vermin control answer yes haven't heard a thing since even went today and shot a fox sunning itself at 11am this morning 

3 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

Couple of lads went “rough shooting” today on an estate. 
shot 150 odd pheasants/partridge. 
Even though legal, I’m seriously ****** off that the ***** think this is acceptable. 

That would be appalling if it was true. I doubt it is.