Shooting during lockdown

flyeruk

18 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

Couple of lads went “rough shooting” today on an estate. 
shot 150 odd pheasants/partridge. 
Even though legal, I’m seriously ****** off that the ***** think this is acceptable. 

What’s annoying you, that they were out shooting or that they shot 150? 
It’s an impressive number for two blokes rough shooting! 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

What’s annoying you, that they were out shooting or that they shot 150? 
It’s an impressive number for two blokes rough shooting! 

That doesn’t constitute rough shooting. The fact that the game dealer came to collect game. Done very well to carry 150 odd birds with them whilst rough shooting. 

It’s ********* like this that ruin it for everyone else. I’m out tomorrow night to take a couple of shots at a few wild ducks. Will take my 10 year old kids with me. I’d like to think that they will be able to go shooting in 20years time, but the way things are going, I can’t see it. And things like this, certainly won’t help our cause. 

3 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

That doesn’t constitute rough shooting. The fact that the game dealer came to collect game. Done very well to carry 150 odd birds with them whilst rough shooting. 

It’s ********* like this that ruin it for everyone else. I’m out tomorrow night to take a couple of shots at a few wild ducks. Will take my 10 year old kids with me. I’d like to think that they will be able to go shooting in 20years time, but the way things are going, I can’t see it. And things like this, certainly won’t help our cause. 

So again, what’s upsetting you? The fact they were out shooting or the numbers they shot? 

People should concern them selves with there own business not what others are doing. The writing is on the wall for field sports be it in 10 years time or a 100.  These guys have got it right they stick with there heritage. Kids seeing how far they can lob a possum can you imagine that over here. You would have the local nutters crying and accusing you of all sorts 

57 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Let’s face it ... a well keepered big bird shoot, on the edge of your village and the keeper offers you and a mate the chance to stand at the bottom of the valley whilst he walks through the covers with his dogs ...  

Ding dong !!

Not sure if that would be accepted in the guidelines , if that was the case you could put two more well back as back guns and the odd person walking there dog for exercise in the game covers and so on , then before you know it you have got nearly as people taking part as you would expect on full day , as long as they all lived local would be the main concern :hmm:

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Not sure if that would be accepted in the guidelines , if that was the case you could put two more well back as back guns and the odd person walking there dog for exercise in the game covers and so on , then before you know it you have got nearly as people taking part as you would expect on full day , as long as they all lived local would be the main concern :hmm:

OP states a ‘ couple of lads ‘, so legit’ as far as numbers are concerned. All seems to have gone quiet. 🤷‍♂️

I had gone quiet as I assumed people would have an idea of what was going on. 

It was essentially a mini driven day. 2 blokes stood at a peg, whilst these birds mysteriously decided to flush from a hill and fly over their heads. But hey, as it was only the two of them shooting then this is fine?

2 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

I had gone quiet as I assumed people would have an idea of what was going on. 

It was essentially a mini driven day. 2 blokes stood at a peg, whilst these birds mysteriously decided to flush from a hill and fly over their heads. But hey, as it was only the two of them shooting then this is fine?

We only have your info’ to go on; you stated ‘a couple of lads ‘ and that it was ‘legal’. 
You say you’re not a grass but are considering contacting BASC, though if it was legal I can’t think why, and if it wasn’t legal I’m still not sure what you expect them to do.
So what do you want from us? 

9 hours ago, Spoonbed said:

Will take my 10 year old kids with me.

I think it is great that you will take your kids but can you not see your own hypocrisy?

Let other folk get on with their business.

The only damage to shooting is you publishing your opinion of their actions on a public forum without the balance of their side of the story being available.

If you have a problem with what they have done then you should say so to their faces. This idea of reporting folk is abhorrent to me unless lives are being put at risk. Some rather nasty regimes in the past have used fear and reporting within the general population as a means of control and the removal of basic freedoms.

What if 150  pheasants  are culled because of a welfare issue say no feed available has B.A.S.C. or N.G.O. given any guide lines on this sort of situation.

About 6 weeks ago I asked the N.G.O. if I would be ok if I crossed over into Scotland to feed up and top up hoppers on the reason of welfare the reply in the form of an email   was it's ok. as they agreed it was a welfare issue.

Just to make it clear I still have more than enough feed for my birds but some shoot might not.  

Edited by scutt

11 hours ago, Scully said:

OP states a ‘ couple of lads ‘, so legit’ as far as numbers are concerned. All seems to have gone quiet. 🤷‍♂️

Morning Scully .... I did read the original post a few times to try and work out how a ( couple of lads ) could shoot 150 head of game on a rough shoot without any additional help , I accept that this past season have been like no other, with very little shooting from the beginning of the season and a very high level of game left in late January , we do put on the odd rough day and that is exactly what it is , a rough day , maybe starting off in woods we don't involve in our regular shoots , taking the guns in areas of bracken and fern for the odd Woodcock , try a couple of mini drives and end up walking the rough areas for whatever get up , all in all a good day out where both the guns and dogs get plenty of exercise and the size of the bag don't really mater but a good day would be 30 / 40 head , this was the size of the bag when the last time we had a rough day last season with three French guys who according to them had a brilliant day and would had came again this season if the virus hadn't put paid to that .

Now looking at the latest posts the op now states it was like mini drives where the birds ( mysteriously decided to flush from a hill and fly over there heads ) a very similar scenario that smokersmith described where a keeper would exercise his dog(s) in the game cover while two guns were standing in the bottom of the valley , this could have easily involved extra help where no more than two people come into contact with each other , dead easy nowadays with mobile phones and radios , on paper they are keeping it legit , but not really the done thing and it would a case of bending the so called guide lines . 

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Morning Scully .... I did read the original post a few times to try and work out how a ( couple of lads ) could shoot 150 head of game on a rough shoot without any additional help , I accept that this past season have been like no other, with very little shooting from the beginning of the season and a very high level of game left in late January , we do put on the odd rough day and that is exactly what it is , a rough day , maybe starting off in woods we don't involve in our regular shoots , taking the guns in areas of bracken and fern for the odd Woodcock , try a couple of mini drives and end up walking the rough areas for whatever get up , all in all a good day out where both the guns and dogs get plenty of exercise and the size of the bag don't really mater but a good day would be 30 / 40 head , this was the size of the bag when the last time we had a rough day last season with three French guys who according to them had a brilliant day and would had came again this season if the virus hadn't put paid to that .

Now looking at the latest posts the op now states it was like mini drives where the birds ( mysteriously decided to flush from a hill and fly over there heads ) a very similar scenario that smokersmith described where a keeper would exercise his dog(s) in the game cover while two guns were standing in the bottom of the valley , this could have easily involved extra help where no more than two people come into contact with each other , dead easy nowadays with mobile phones and radios , on paper they are keeping it legit , but not really the done thing and it would a case of bending the so called guide lines . 

I agree. Two blokes are very unlikely to accrue a bag of 150 during a rough shoot without additional help, and even then it’s going some. 
It would appear the confines of the ‘advice’ has been stretched somewhat, but I wasn’t there and it’s not up to me to wag a finger and tell someone what they should or shouldn’t be doing. 
I got the impression the reason the OP was so peeved was because he felt they had spoiled his day out, but why that should be I don’t know. 

What is the definition of "Rough Shooting" i've heard of half days for 2 guns of 50/60 birds, with the full time keepers working there dogs for you. Which is not breaking any law's as they are employed 52 weeks a year. Buy both morning and afternoon you've got yourself a cracking day out and a sore shoulder to boot. 

6 hours ago, Scully said:

I agree. Two blokes are very unlikely to accrue a bag of 150 during a rough shoot without additional help, and even then it’s going some. 
It would appear the confines of the ‘advice’ has been stretched somewhat, but I wasn’t there and it’s not up to me to wag a finger and tell someone what they should or shouldn’t be doing. 
I got the impression the reason the OP was so peeved was because he felt they had spoiled his day out, but why that should be I don’t know. 

You couldn’t be farther from the truth. 
All I care about is the future of my sport.  

Reading a lot of the subsequent posts, goes some way to explain why game shooting will soon be a thing of the past. 
This is what upsets me

It wont be a thing of the past because some one goes and blasts x amount of pheasant or by what your average shooters gets up to. It will be a thing of the past because a large percentage of the uk are basically like chris packham. Deluded with no clue and like to force there opinions on others. The sort that have a melt down if they saw a fox being collared by a dog or a bird being blown out of the sky. They basically out number us and so eventually will more than likely win while our governments bend over to keep them happy. I am with you I want my grandkids and there grandkids to be able to pop out with a lurcher and a ferret or a gun in the country side and have some dam good sport and free range grub and also not pussy foot around the place trying to appease these people. But I suspect it won't happen 

15 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

It wont be a thing of the past because some one goes and blasts x amount of pheasant or by what your average shooters gets up to. It will be a thing of the past because a large percentage of the uk are basically like chris packham. Deluded with no clue and like to force there opinions on others. The sort that have a melt down if they saw a fox being collared by a dog or a bird being blown out of the sky. They basically out number us and so eventually will more than likely win while our governments bend over to keep them happy. I am with you I want my grandkids and there grandkids to be able to pop out with a lurcher and a ferret or a gun in the country side and have some dam good sport and free range grub and also not pussy foot around the place trying to appease these people. But I suspect it won't happen 

you are correct it will all end for game shooting BUT turning a blind eye to bad behaviour will end it even sooner for those who act responsibly