Bird id please

Old farrier

Ah yes. the Egyptian honk-chicken. Noisy, aggressive and almost always seen as a pair and not a flock bird like most geese. They are considered residents or 'naturalised' now - a term for an introduced species that we're not really sure it's doing any real damage, so we say it's not invasive and don't bother doing anything about it, much like the little owl. The population comes from escapes and introductions and are year round fixtures. 

Edited by chrisjpainter

Yes , as already said , 100% Egyptian , been about for a while now and I am a bit surprised they have only just arrived on the I O W , there was talk at one time they were going to be put on the shooting list as around these parts they are quite numerous and can breed all the year round .

We had a shoot in January a few years ago and my dog along with a another beaters dog both brought back a half grown gosling's so the eggs would have been laid well before Christmas .

7 hours ago, marsh man said:

Yes , as already said , 100% Egyptian , been about for a while now and I am a bit surprised they have only just arrived on the I O W , there was talk at one time they were going to be put on the shooting list as around these parts they are quite numerous and can breed all the year round .

We had a shoot in January a few years ago and my dog along with a another beaters dog both brought back a half grown gosling's so the eggs would have been laid well before Christmas .

Thanks for the reply 

I guess that we can’t shoot them 🤭

never seen them here before 👍

1 minute ago, Lampwick said:

Thanks for the reply 

I can now I have identified it although grazing on a paddock is hardly endangering anything so probably not a good reason 

however if they take up residence and start causing a problem 👍

8 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks for the reply 

I can now I have identified it although grazing on a paddock is hardly endangering anything so probably not a good reason 

They are rather tasty apparently! 

Plenty around here and you regularly see them in trees! 

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks for the reply 

?I think the worry was hybridisation destroying genetic purity. There used to be a portal to report sightings?

3 hours ago, old man said:

?I think the worry was hybridisation destroying genetic purity. There used to be a portal to report sightings?

That was the Ruddy Duck.  There was an extermination program a while ago, I believe it was near enough successful, although I do not doubt a very few will have escaped the cull.

10 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks for the reply 

I guess that we can’t shoot them 🤭

never seen them here before 👍

I don't think the two you have that just recently turned up wouldn't cause to many problems , and to be honest they are good looking birds and nice to have a few around , problem is they do breed a lot and can get a bit noisy .

As for shooting , around ten years ago we had far to many and the tenant farmers were complaining about the damage they were causing , the estate went through the proper channel's and got a licence to shoot a few , how many ? , that I can't say but I don't it was that many as we only shot a few at the back end of that season and as far as I know we didn't shoot any more .

57 minutes ago, scolopax said:

That was the Ruddy Duck.  There was an extermination program a while ago, I believe it was near enough successful, although I do not doubt a very few will have escaped the cull.

Yeah. They really didn't muck around with that as an extermination policy. If only they were as trigger happy with other invasives, UK wildlife would be in a much healthier position!

On 21/01/2021 at 23:43, chrisjpainter said:

Ah yes. the Egyptian honk-chicken. Noisy, aggressive and almost always seen as a pair and not a flock bird like most geese. They are considered residents or 'naturalised' now - a term for an introduced species that we're not really sure it's doing any real damage, so we say it's not invasive and don't bother doing anything about it, much like the little owl. The population comes from escapes and introductions and are year round fixtures. 

we have a resident pair here in cantley......

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

we have a resident pair here in cantley......

Excellent, just don't pick a fight with them; you'll lose. Packham (may his name only be whispered) has just done a new wildlife thing on a watering hole in Tanzania. A pair set up home on the water and then chased off anything that got too close. Impala, zebra, hyena, even a poor giraffe got seen off! They take nuffin' from nobody.